UJSSM - stirring?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stogie
Novice

UJSSM - stirring?

Post by stogie »

Couldn't figure out the best place to insert this .......... but:
I've read many (but not all!) of the pages & pages of posts associated with the Uncle's sour mash recipe / method. Read the Wiki page as well. I see no reference regarding stirring. So, for the initial run:
1) Is the fermenter bucket stirred prior to adding the yeast? I know he says to place the ingred. in the bucket in order listed.
2) At the end of fermentation, is the bucket stirred to de-gas (before racking?).

In preparation of the 2nd run:
1) Is there stirring when adding the 3-3/4 gal to the bucket containing the 1st-run left-over corn?
2) And, how about stirring when adding in the 1-1/4 gal of backset and 'new' sugar?

I am a noob, having run only eight batches of neutrals in my 8-gal 'dual.' But I just want to get it 'right' according to the scholars herein.
Thanx in advance!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UJSSM - stirring?

Post by subbrew »

I don't know if there is a right or wrong but I stirred the heck out of it when I added the sugar to start the next batch. Since I was not heating it to dissolve the sugar I used mechanical agitation.

I also stirred on the initial run before adding yeast because my corn contained some bits of cob and such. Stirring allowed it to escape and float to the top where I strained it off.

I didn't stir before racking as that would have stirred up yeast and such and I wanted to rack as clear as possible.

No expert here but that was my reasoning.
stogie
Novice

Post by stogie »

Thanx subbrew! I have been { like all 8-runs! :-) } stirring to de-gas after the yeast has quit, then let it sit another 24-hours to re-settle.
I appreciate the response............
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I don't see a good reason to degas after fermentation. It will do some degassing during the moving around and transfer. And the rest will be driven off as the wash heats up for distillation. Perhaps someone else can chime in with a reason.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’ve never made UJ but regardless, all washes should be stirred before adding yeast or when new ingredients are added when reusing a yeast cake to ensure good healthy build up of next yeast colony .It oxygenates the wash/wort.

There is no need to stir once a fermentation has finished . Leave it to settle and then the act of pouring it into a boiler or bucket will be all that us needed to degas
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm I’ve never made UJ but regardless, all washes should be stirred before adding yeast or when new ingredients are added when reusing a yeast cake to ensure good healthy build up of next yeast colony .It oxygenates the wash/wort.

There is no need to stir once a fermentation has finished . Leave it to settle and then the act of pouring it into a boiler or bucket will be all that us needed to degas
After I hit 1.00+- I’ll let my ferment (no matter the type) sit for a week or so. I’ve always de-gassed my fermentation’s with a drill before pouring it into the boiler and then heat up slowly just to prevent foam buildup. I don’t use any kind of antifoaming agents so I get a little paranoid about puking and/or foam into the column.
:Edit: I rack at least once before running the still.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I can't think of a good reason to not stir UJSSM when putting a wash together,

I've never racked as I don't think clearing will improve it. You're making flavored product, not neutral. I go straight into the still and run it, dump some hot backset onto the sugar to dissolve and convert it, let it cool, add water and get it back into the fermenter as soon as the temperature is ok.

I add a knob of butter to the boiler to help tame the puking.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've had a few pukes and scorches so in the past have cleared and degassed thoroughly.. Lately not so much and no issues. It'll continue that way until I get a scorch then I'll go back to clearing excessively.. Losing a batch of expensive grain AG and everything that went into it from a scorch will make me extra careful but I do enjoy running through the strips much quicker if I can do it!

Pukes aren't too hard to avoid and no real issue as long as you turn the boat around quickly - spirit run will clean it up!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————