coffee filter during run?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SpiffyStump
Novice

coffee filter during run?

Post by SpiffyStump »

I used to use coffee filters during the run, it keep the bugs out and i notice a black film that develops at the end of the run, almost like a burnt sedament. I recently stopsed using them because I thought that it would filter out falvor and copper minerals that are good for your body no? please correct me if i am wrong? Have you used coffee filters? do you preffer them? or do you think that filter to much?
MihiT
Bootlegger

Re: coffee filter during run?

Post by MihiT »

I doubt a coffe filter is going to filter out minerals. I doubt much minerals carry over in distillate, or get absorbed from the copper after condensing.

Where are you putting this coffee filter?
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

To keep bugs out of my capturing jars, I use a stainless steel sieve over the opening. The spirit drips through the sieve and into the container. Always a few bugs in the sieve at the end of the run, so it really works.

To add - I only use the sieve once I get to the good stuff. I don't bother with it during fores, heads or tails.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

I'd suggest closing the windows and stopping bugs getting into the room in the first place....?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've heard of felt being used as a filter under the spout for corn likker. There is a reference to it here: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12850

What gets trapped is most likely to be fusel oils that have dropped out of suspension. Taste it.

How well filtering works will depend on what you are making and what type of still you are using, if it's the stripping or spirit run, etc..

I haven't tried filtering anything off the spout, but I make felt so have a variety of wools to choose from, so I might try something next time I'm stripping a neutral. I'm sure it can't do any harm.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't care about bugs in my distillate. Fruit flies love heads components, so what they drown themselves in is either at the start of the stripping run, or the heads jars of the spirit run.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

+1 on filtering and fruit flies. Let em die happy! If I use a coffee filter it's when I bottle. A couple dead flies along with charred oak sediment in a gallon jug of 120+ proof likker isn't going to hurt anything..

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I typically run small bit of paper towel as a filter off of my spout. Like you, I will see a small amount of black flecks or a small amount of black film deposited on the small bit of paper towel toward the end of the run. As suggested above, I believe it to be coming from the oils in my spirit. I see this mostly with AG ferments, and I don’t see much, if any of this with my rums and sugar washes.

On occasion I will see some of this come out at the start of a run, likely just oil from my previous run being washed out.

Other than helping to keep my glass clean, I don’t think it is necessary to use the filter.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

OtisT wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:18 pm I typically run small bit of paper towel as a filter off of my spout. Like you, I will see a small amount of black flecks or a small amount of black film deposited on the small bit of paper towel toward the end of the run.
What type of run in what type of still? Strip? Spirit?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

NZChris wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:16 pm
OtisT wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:18 pm I typically run small bit of paper towel as a filter off of my spout. Like you, I will see a small amount of black flecks or a small amount of black film deposited on the small bit of paper towel toward the end of the run.
What type of run in what type of still? Strip? Spirit?
Pot still. Spirit runs.

I don’t see it on all runs, many of which I cut off at the first hint of tails. I also run many spirit runs with some fresh ferment. Typical 1.5 run for me may be 10 gallons of low wines and a gallon or two fresh ferment. Usually I’m just adding the clear that has separated from the trub after siphoning off beer for the strip runs. Waste not, want not.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

MihiT wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:27 pm I doubt a coffe filter is going to filter out minerals. I doubt much minerals carry over in distillate, or get absorbed from the copper after condensing.

Where are you putting this coffee filter?
i place coffee filter on top on jar and put the ring on to hold the filter in place.
SpiffyStump
Novice

Post by SpiffyStump »

CopperFiend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:40 pm I'd suggest closing the windows and stopping bugs getting into the room in the first place....?
where did i say that i did it indoors?
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

SpiffyStump wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:11 pm
CopperFiend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:40 pm I'd suggest closing the windows and stopping bugs getting into the room in the first place....?
where did i say that i did it indoors?
Fair enough, you didn't :wink:
BourbonBoi
Novice

Post by BourbonBoi »

I always use a coffee filter and a funnel when distilling unless I'm taking a proof sample, doesn't hurt.