Sacraficial run with cheap vodka and water

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sacraficial run with cheap vodka and water

Post by Slivovitz »

I need to do a sacrificial cleaning run in my copper pot. I don't want to mix up a proper wash so I'm curious if it accomplishes the same thing to put 50% cheap vodka and 50% water in?

I also have some flavored Bacardi rum but I figured it would be a bad thing to use a flavored Spirit to do this. I'm thinking if I take a gallon of cheap vodka and mix it with 2 gallons of water and give it a go that accomplishes the same thing as a sacrificial run of roughly 7% wash.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't get some funky blue in the mix like I did on my last run. I cleaned the heck out of this and I figured if I put something perfectly clear in it should come out perfectly clear if I did a good job cleaning.

After that I could run something more precious through without any worries.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Sacraficial run with cheap vodka and water

Post by NZChris »

Have you got any heads, tails, foreshots? Any alcohol will do, it doesn't matter if it's a bit smelly. The only alcohol I won't use is the product from a sacrificial run.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Slivovitz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:57 pm…I'm curious if it accomplishes the same thing to put 50% cheap vodka and 50% water in? … also have some flavored Bacardi rum but I figured it would be a bad thing to use a flavored Spirit to do this…
Sure, do it. Plus, if you’ve got some other “expired” spirits, you can use them all too.
Slivovitz wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:57 pmI'm thinking if I take a gallon of cheap vodka and mix it with 2 gallons of water and give it a go that accomplishes the same thing as a sacrificial run of roughly 7% wash.
I like to do sac washes with a slightly higher %ABV. I like to have around 20% to 30% ABV alcohol for the cleaning run. It doesn’t matter if the spirits are clear, colored, or flavored. In fact, using heads that have some of the higher solvents will help clean better too.

I like to run the sac runs for at least 2 hours at an appreciable rate to make sure the crud is all washed out. So, with the boiler set to run like a stripping run, the volume of wash depends how big the boiler is and the %ABV of the wash to start.

Oh, and I’ve used the bottle bottoms from any and all spirits I have at home or left over (after a party). Remember, it’s all going down the drain at some point.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Thank you for the confidence booster. I'll be gathering up some of the crap sitting around after parties the last few years too do a sacrificial run as discussed.

I'll basically mixed up enough junk that I can let it cook for 2 hours at a steady Trickle
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Sliv, to prevent the blue distillate make sure to dry the copper in your system after cleaning. I don't know if you use a worm type of condenser. I do and after use I rinse well and then use a shop vac connected to the output. I run it for 10 minutes and it pulls air through the worm, drying it out.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

I completely forgot to give it a tip then a good shake or possibly even hook it up to a vacuum. That being said it's got pretty good grade and doesn't seem to pool.

Running flavored Bacardi and $10 gallon of vodka through resulted in perfectly clear collection and I think I'm good to go. The copper is a bit more blue 10 than it was before but I think it's going to season itself over the next few runs. No matter what I scrub scrape or buff with it ain't changing
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Slivovitz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:10 pm I think it's going to season itself over the next few runs. No matter what I scrub scrape or buff with it ain't changing
:thumbup: Indeed …. Leave it alone now , and it will look after it’s self . …. and treat you right .
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Slivovitz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:10 pm I completely forgot to give it a tip then a good shake or possibly even hook it up to a vacuum. That being said it's got pretty good grade and doesn't seem to pool.

Running flavored Bacardi and $10 gallon of vodka through resulted in perfectly clear collection and I think I'm good to go. The copper is a bit more blue 10 than it was before but I think it's going to season itself over the next few runs. No matter what I scrub scrape or buff with it ain't changing
Mine doesn't have low spots but moisture will still linger for quite a while. I would definitely dry it out, it is quick and easy.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

I will to be safe but it 80 to 100 here so not a huge deal