An new thought

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sarge410884
Novice

An new thought

Post by Sarge410884 »

I am just finishing a ferment using yellow label yeast and was thinking what if now that it's complete I want ahead and put 5 lb of sugar into a 5-gallon for men of this all ready for method liquid what kind of flavors would I develop from that any
Sarge
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: An new thought

Post by still_stirrin »

Sarge,

Do you speak english? Your question is very confused. So much so, it’s impossible to answer your question…if you have one.

Also, when you reply again, can you include the recipe for the ferment you’ve just completed? It will give us an indication what flavors you could expect from your gumballhead.

Help us help you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

In your post you are missing the nutrient??? Still Stirrin his location says Oregon Coast a beautiful part of our country.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Bushman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:52 pm In your post you are missing the nutrient??? Still Stirrin his location says Oregon Coast a beautiful part of our country.
I’m thinking it’s possibly an ethenolian dialect coming from our friend in Oregon :wink:
Either that or auto correct has reared it’s ugly ducking head again.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sugar doesn't have any flavor, so the spirit won't have much.
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

Sorry everyone I will try and explain my thought more clearly: I have made about 14 gallons of brown rice and corn in 18 lbs, 9 of each. This was done with yellow label angel yeast. My thought is what would happen flavor wise if you took that ferment sugared it and started a yeast ferment. The flavor now is extremely dry and smooth. I am only asking what your thoughts might be.
Thanks
Sarge
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

A gumbalhead (sugar head on spent grains) will generally provide a ghost of the original flavour. If you've got the sugar, try it and see. Then you'll know if you want to do it again in the future.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:04 pm A gumbalhead (sugar head on spent grains) will generally provide a ghost of the original flavour. If you've got the sugar, try it and see. Then you'll know if you want to do it again in the future.
What Norm said.

To get flavor into them, I use the backset and grain bed and make up a ferment to about the original SG and volume, (or less), and add the feints and foreshots from the original strips and spirit run to to the stripping runs.

To make a lightly flavored grain spirit using a pot still instead of a reflux still, I do a sugar wash on the grains without using the backset etc..

Both methods make great product, but are used for different purposes.