What would you do...?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Nik
Novice

What would you do...?

Post by Nik »

What would you do
I've two 23litre plastic bins filled with some fermented grapes. Here's the thing the bins were started off 5 odd years ago. Both bins are still half filled with the grapes, the air locks dried out a long time ago but after just tasting the cleared liquid on top I've surprisingly discovered it's. alcohol as opposed to a wine vinegar.
I'm a complete newbie here so for the interim I'm just going to rack the cleared liquid (10ltr) to a container with a view to some future use. Equally I will strain the rest of the liquor from the mash and decant.
Would you do anything with this, or write it off.
Understanding a pot still will work best for flavour transfer just not sure such aged alcohol will be worth distilling! Equally I've no idea as to original starting ABV which will make it harder to ascertain the final proof.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: What would you do...?

Post by NZChris »

If it already tastes nice, bottle it and drink it as it is.

Make a sugar wash on the pomace/lees for distilling.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

There's a lot you could do. Does your wine also contain the peel? A first thing you could do is get a bit of wine with the clearest part (if the taste is ok), the rest could distil (lees, skins and the remaining wine). If you want to distill everything, not filter but distill with the peel if there is quite liquid to keep moving (with boiling) the skins will otherwise burn. You could also think of separating the skins from the wine but do not clarify too much wine, fine lees and yeasts will give a great flavor to your brandy. The fact that he has aged is an advantage in terms of aroma.
Nik
Novice

Post by Nik »

Thanks .all I'm made up I can put them to good use, I'll let them sit a little longer until I gain some experience, Newbie is an understatement. Still hasn't been fired up as yet, got a lot of reading and learning to do first (i was only looking for s cider press 😂) Purchased a 25ltr electric boiler which comes with both copper pot and 2" reflux column. The elements are below the still so won't have a problem running the grape skins as a mash.
When the time comes I think I'll run one through the pot and one through the column as compare .
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:D If the base of the boiler is a thin gauge you will probably run into scorching issues even with the elements under the boiler. Think a very thin based pot on the stove vs a heavy based pot and how they behave when cooking
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Nik
Novice

Post by Nik »

I'll keep that in mind Sporacle.. Is there anything I can do to minimise any scorching..

Thanks for your input guys it's very much appreciated 😊
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A sheet of a suitable metal of a suitable thickness under the boiler would effectively
'turn it into a heavy-based pot'.

Geoff
The Baker
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Not sure as I don't have any experience with that style, just from reading I know guys give the boiler a stir as it's heating, aside from that not sure but there will be heaps of people here that will know what to do :thumbup:
As I was typing this Geoff replied, see what I mean :clap:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

I've seen grappa makers putting straw in the bottom to prevent scorching, I don't know how it would impact on flavor but seems it works
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Double boiler seems to make sense, if you have a big stock pot or something laying around.
:)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use this on my hotplate setup ->

When I adjust the power it takes a few minutes to react and settle.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————