Shotgun condenser end cap

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MilehighAlcohol
Novice

Shotgun condenser end cap

Post by MilehighAlcohol »

Where do you get a Stainless end cap with drip tube for a stainless shotgun condenser discharge?
CH
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Shotgun condenser end cap

Post by Twisted Brick »

I would have recommended a distilling shop, but virtually all of them sell condensers without collectors. A standard stainless endcap will work as long as you run your shotgun perfectly vertical, or else It will smear. Obviously, you would have to drill it in your machine shop for 1/2" pipe though. If you got a cutout endcap you'd have to go 1" and reduce the 1" to 1/2" (or not). 1" is the minimum sold here.

Since you're a builder, it might be cheaper to just make one of these.
IMG_9296.jpg
You can get the 2 x 1/2" reducer here.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MilehighAlcohol
Novice

I picked up a stainless steel shotgun condenser off Craigs List locally. The guy never used it. So never had a collector for the end. It has double end sanitary tri-clamp ferrels 2” and four 1/2”tubes. This collector might look cool on the stainless condenser.
CH
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Buy a 2 in to 1 in stainless concentric reducer, about $13 on Amazon. You can use as is or build a copper tube/reducer from there.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

MilehighAlcohol wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:45 pm Where do you get a Stainless end cap with drip tube for a stainless shotgun condenser discharge?
CH

Rather than a "cap", which can pool distillate, I simply use a 2" x 1" reducer ...

https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... 0-100.html

The 1" end fits all my mason jars so I've never felt a need to reduce any further.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I looked for a one piece end cap/spout and only found them on a few Chinese amazon like sites. Alibaba was one, can’t remember the other. Did not want to deal with overseas shipping.

I ended up buying one of these FNTP adapters and attaching a copper spout to the threads. The “cone” adapters are slightly tapered so no pooling.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... pters.html

Otis.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
MilehighAlcohol
Novice

Looks like i will be doing the 2”to 1/2” copper reducer. That looks like the best option. I will need to find a 2”/ 64mm tri-clamp ferrule. I like the idea of a modular system to make cleaning easy, or changes to configuration with out a hassle.
I was also thinking of putting a vacuum break/atmosphere vent, in it encase a surge floods it so it will drain faster?
Thanks for the input, and great ideas.
CH
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

It will help to make an insert from the end of your pipe to mate to your reducer.
IMG_1873.JPG
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

MilehighAlcohol wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am Looks like i will be doing the 2”to 1/2” copper reducer. That looks like the best option. I will need to find a 2”/ 64mm tri-clamp ferrule. I like the idea of a modular system to make cleaning easy, or changes to configuration with out a hassle.
I was also thinking of putting a vacuum break/atmosphere vent, in it encase a surge floods it so it will drain faster?
Thanks for the input, and great ideas.
CH
You won’t need a vacuum break unless you are piping directly into a parrot.