idiot guide recipe please

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dodgydiver
Novice

idiot guide recipe please

Post by dodgydiver »

does anyone have a recipe for roasted apple shine please . odonnels make it but its £25 for 500ml

any tips would be amazing please

thanks a lot
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: idiot guide recipe please

Post by NZChris »

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

O'Donnell Moonshine
Odourless, flavourless, potent and super-smooth High Proof O’Donnell Moonshine is the real deal. This Manchester-based business has recreated the elicit alcohol experience as would have been smuggled into the Chicago speakeasies by leading Irish American gangster, O’Donnell. In the time of prohibition, farmers took to their barns to create spirits under the light of moonshine using grains, potatoes or other veg disguising it in jam and honey mason jars as the authorities were on the lookout for large bottle purchases. Also blended into delicious liqueurs, this moonshine collection is super drink-easy.
https://dippletipple.com/products/roast ... moonshine/
Roasted Apple is a smooth and tempting moonshine liqueur, a delectable combination of apples, almond, cinnamon and vanilla blended with our high-proof spirit. These sumptuous flavours are then tied together with a squeeze of lemon added just moments before bottling.
https://odonnellmoonshine.co.uk/products/roasted-apple
My guess is its a Neutral Base then flavours and sugar are added.
You could start by looking up the numerous "apple pie" recipes available on the net, the drink not the pies. Work from those recipes till you get the result that you want.
I doubt that this stuff has much to do with the crushing, fermenting or distillation of apples.
Going to need a good reflux still to make the neutral.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

+1 on the neutral with additives. There are literally hundreds of recipes out there Dodgy. Apple juice and 118
:EDIT: NZC hit it on the head. In fact I think I’m going to save that recipe for myself. Thank you sir :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
dodgydiver
Novice

Post by dodgydiver »

thanks so much guys
dodgydiver
Novice

Post by dodgydiver »

For my next 3 batches I used Walmart brand jugs of juice. I would buy a few jugs at a time until I accumulated about 25 gallons. I would also add several cans of concentrate to boost the gravity a bit. For the first 3 batches I used ec-1118 yeast and for the most recent batch, I used 71b-1122. I believe the 1122 made a bit of flavor improvement.

is this the bit your referring to please
dodgydiver
Novice

Post by dodgydiver »

? thanks
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Odourless, flavourless, potent and super-smooth High Proof O’Donnell Moonshine is the real deal....... as would have been smuggled into the Chicago speakeasies...
Gotta love marketing wanks. I'd be amazed if the original product was anywhere even close to odourless or flavorless. :lol:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by greggn »

Expat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:49 am
Odourless, flavourless, potent and super-smooth High Proof O’Donnell Moonshine is the real deal....... as would have been smuggled into the Chicago speakeasies...
Gotta love marketing wanks. I'd be amazed if the original product was anywhere even close to odourless or flavorless. :lol:

Not to mention that the original would have likely only crossed state lines ... not country borders as with O'Donnell's. As per their website:

All our Moonshines are made out of the best quality ingredients and are vegan, allergen & gluten free as well as free of any artificial preservatives. Distilled & bottled in Germany with strict adherence to distilling regulations, our Moonshines are of premium quality.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

greggn wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:39 am
Expat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:49 am

Not to mention that the original would have likely only crossed state lines ... not country borders as with O'Donnell's. As per their website:

All our Moonshines are made out of the best quality ingredients and are vegan, allergen & gluten free as well as free of any artificial preservatives. Distilled & bottled in Germany with strict adherence to distilling regulations, our Moonshines are of premium quality.
Well, I'd agree if you said crossing oceans, but crossing international borders yes it absolutely did. In fact some of the booze Capone sold came in by rail from Moose jaw Canada.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by TDick »

dodgydiver wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:17 pm does anyone have a recipe for roasted apple shine please . odonnels make it but its £25 for 500ml

any tips would be amazing please

thanks a lot
Lot of different "interpretations" of apple shine.
A few years ago I was in a discussion how roasting brings out more flavors of apples & peaches - I'm sure other fruits as well.
Just wondering, depending on exactly what you're looking for, if anyone has tried Panty Dropper with roasted apples?
dodgydiver
Novice

Post by dodgydiver »

im happy to try if some one can come up with a recipe please
dodgydiver
Novice

Post by dodgydiver »

anyone
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:D Follow what SCack did in the thread that NZChris sent you, everything you need for a recipe is there.
Good luck
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've done my bit by linking to S-Cackalacky's method. It's up to you to make it your own or size it for your still. I've used the idea to put down a ferment that will be bottled and primed to make sparkling hard cider.
dodgydiver
Novice

Post by dodgydiver »

thanks