That's a big Krausen

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PeatyKeats
Novice

That's a big Krausen

Post by PeatyKeats »

Conducting my first fermentation with the intention for consumption. I've done 2 sugar wash fermentations w 24 hr turbo yeast for sacrificial runs.
This is basically Jimbo's AG single malt recipe (10 gal water, 10 lbs milled peated malt barley, and 10 lbs milled unpeated malt barley). I racked the 10 gallons of wort equally in to two 7 gallon fermenters after using a wort chiller to bring the temp. down to 69 degrees. I pitched a package of yeast (11.5 g US-05) in to ea. fermenter, put the top on with a bubble lock and went from there.
A little over 12 hrs later, they both started to bubble, and I could see a krausen forming on the top. We're now a little over 48 hrs in to the fermentation and the krausen is over 2 inches thick on each fermenter. There's still room if it were to grow, but is this normal?

I haven't opened the fermenters yet to check the temperature or changes in SG yet as it has only been 2 days. I'm expecting the fermentation to go another 5 days given the fermentation temperature which hasn't risen all that much.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: That's a big Krausen

Post by Demy »

I would say that everything is normal. Measure only at the end of fermentation (when it seems terminated), there is no need for frequent measurements.
PeatyKeats
Novice

Re: That's a big Krausen

Post by PeatyKeats »

Thanks.