Neutral Spirit Using Reflux

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

galaxywolves
Novice

Neutral Spirit Using Reflux

Post by galaxywolves »

Hello,

I have a Alcoengine Reflux which I'm using in combination with a Digiboil 35L boiler.
I've just tried my first run at creating a neutral alcohol from a sugar wash and I have some questions.
The intention is to eventually make gin using a pot still.

Should I be making cuts while making a neutral alcohol with a reflux?
I originally wanted to do a stripping run with the reflux but it did not handle being rang at full capacity and the distillate was coming out at approx 92% anyway.

I couldn't find any information on when to stop distilling. I decided to stop once the ABV dropped to 80% and there was a very slight yeasty tang to the distillate.

I ended up with much less Neutral Alcohol than I was anticipating, somewhere around a liter from a 25L wash. Did I stop too early or was there something wrong with the wash?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Neutral Spirit Using Reflux

Post by still_stirrin »

Well, when doing a “strip run”, measure the %ABV of the collection, not at the spout. Then, collect until you measure 30%ABV in the collection jar (the total collection). Then, you’ll have low wines ready for your spirit run. Make your spirit run collection into a dozen, or more jars and make cuts from those after airing 24 hours.

Yes, you stopped too early and left alcohol in the boiler.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

If you started with 25 liters of 10%ABV sugar wash, the amount of alcohol to collect is: 10% x 25 = 2.5 liters of (theoretically pure) alcohol.

If you collect until the low wines is 30%ABV, you would have approximately: 2.5 / 30% = 8.33 liters of low wines.

Then, rerunning this for the spirit run would give you: 8.33 x 30% / 90% = 2.8 liters at 90%ABV (averaged) in your collection jars.
ss
Sulaiman
Novice

Post by Sulaiman »

For simple/pot distillation of sugar washes, approximately:
Ferment enough wash to do three distillations,
Collect the first 1/3 from each distillation,
Combine the three thirds of low wines collected for a spirit run,
Collect about 1/3 of the spirit run.
How/when you do your cuts is personal choice.
galaxywolves
Novice

Post by galaxywolves »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:59 am If you started with 25 liters of 10%ABV sugar wash, the amount of alcohol to collect is: 10% x 25 = 2.5 liters of (theoretically pure) alcohol.

If you collect until the low wines is 30%ABV, you would have approximately: 2.5 / 30% = 8.33 liters of low wines.

Then, rerunning this for the spirit run would give you: 8.33 x 30% / 90% = 2.8 liters at 90%ABV (averaged) in your collection jars.
ss
So for a stripping run, I keep it distilling until the ABV of the distillate is 30%? do I make cuts of the low wines?
How do I handle the reflux not coping with higher wattage? I have the option to run at either 500w or 1900w, and at 1900w there is distillate leaking from the top of the reflux.
If I were to run the boiler at 500w until I had 8L of low wines it would take probably 12 - 15 hours.

Can I skip the stripping run and go straight to the spirit run on the reflux?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

galaxywolves wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pmSo for a stripping run, I keep it distilling until the ABV of the distillate is 30%?
Yes, that’s how it’s done. When you complete “the mandatory reading”, you’ll understand. Otherwise, you’ll ask questions over and over that have already been answered.
galaxywolves wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pmdo I make cuts of the low wines?
No. Unless you want to take a little of foreshots at the beginning of the run. Otherwise, just collect until the collection jar is at 30%ABV.
galaxywolves wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pmHow do I handle the reflux not coping with higher wattage? I have the option to run at either 500w or 1900w, and at 1900w there is distillate leaking from the top of the reflux.
I suggest removing the packing from the column during stripping runs. And put the largest orifice in the liquid outlet that you can to maximize the output. The purity will drop, but the throughput will increase. Use a power setting that does not outrun the product condenser or the reflux condenser.
galaxywolves wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pmIf I were to run the boiler at 500w until I had 8L of low wines it would take probably 12 - 15 hours.
If the equipment you have bought won’t do the job properly, then you’ve bought the wrong equipment. So, LEARN how to run your equipment.

And start reading. Your eyes haven’t even blurred yet….let alone started to bleed!
galaxywolves wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:32 pmCan I skip the stripping run and go straight to the spirit run on the reflux?
You can. But don’t complain about the flavor you get. You’re on your own!
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Sulaiman wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:59 pm For simple/pot distillation of sugar washes, approximately:
Ferment enough wash to do three distillations,
Collect the first 1/3 from each distillation,??
Combine the three thirds of low wines collected for a spirit run,
Collect about 1/3 of the spirit run.
How/when you do your cuts is personal choice.
you might have to read up on running a Alcoengine reflux in pot mode (not sure if you can remove packing etc), or get a pot head and/or a voltage controller.
the general consensus is to fit your washes & runs with your boiler size.
i only have a 35l boiler as well, so i do 4 x 25l washes
these are individually stripped hard and fast in pot mode until the whole collection is 40% (about 15% at the spout) and usually have about 5.5l of low wines from each wash.
so, like yesterday, the 22l (4 x 5.5l)of low wines are run in the reflux, collected in 250ml jars (heads to early hearts), 2l jars in hearts and 250ml jars(late hearts to tails) for making cuts.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Collect the first 1/3 from each distillation??
That could be misleading.

Collect from three distillations.

Those combined will give you enough for a single spirit run.

So, one third from each. Sorta.

Geoff
The Baker
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Galaxy, I have this same set up, but I also have the Kegland pot still and a power controller that was only $65 from Brewhaus: https://brewhaus.com/search.php?search_ ... on=product (I'm not electrically inclined to build my own)

For neutral, strip with pot still head down to ~15% coming off spout (or with the larger oriface on the reflux, but swapping those around is a pain). As mentioned above by the veterans, you should make 3x22L ferments, strip it (no cuts needed) @ 1500w, then combine for a spirit run. I've read here on HD that watering it down to 30% gives a better end product.

You CAN run on 500w for spirit run, but it's a slow stream/drip. If you push to 1000w, you end up smearing heads & tails into hearts. I've found running ~70-80 volts on that Brewhaus controller with the 1000w gives the correct offtake speed. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season