Boiler question (noob)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thefrenchdude
Novice

Boiler question (noob)

Post by Thefrenchdude »

Hi everybody.

I just bought myself an abandoned project based on a 50l beer keg with heat elements (2x1500w)
I have a 56 inches long copper tube (2 inches diameter)
And a Liebig relatively long (i didn't mesure it)

Well my questions are :

1/ Can i use the boiler to make my washes or I am better to get another keg to make my washes?
2/ I guess the design of the project is probably a reflux still due to the long copper tube. Can I use it right now as a pot still or i need to shorten the tube?

Thanks for help!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Boiler question (noob)

Post by LWTCS »

1. You can use your kettle for fermentation. But then you render it useless as a kettle while it finishes it's fermentation duties (sounds like doodies).
Not a problem if you are not trying to optimize your production capabilities.
You're better off using a bucket (or three) for fermentation. One working off, one clearing, and one ready to run.

2. No need to cut.
Make your collection height finish at counter top height. Collecting on your knees at your age is unbecoming.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Make a 40 inch riser, top it with a 2 inch sanitary T and cap the top section, you have a pot with heaps of copper contact and the ability to turn it into a CCVM further down the track when you want to do neutrals :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

4.5’ worth of 2” copper tubing is very versatile. I think two 1500W elements might be a bit too much input but with the right controller you’ll be fine. A controller that can cut out one or the other elements as you run would be ideal. You’re not stuck to any kind of still at this point. Read up on what you want to produce. Grab some copper ferrules and get to work. Like Larry stated you’ll be pigeon holing yourself into low productivity by using your boiler as your fermenter (unless you have other fermenters at hand). Congratulations on your buy! Keep us posted with pics Dude.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Two 1500W elements is a good setup. Control one, and switch the other.

Unless you are really pushed for space, fermenting in the boiler can be a pain. I prefer to use a fermenter that can hold at least three stripping runs worth of wash so that I'm not fermenting one strip at a time and can get a spirit run worth of low wines from every ferment.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

I like the copper ferrule idea but they are pretty pricy in Canada. You may look at SS ferrules and silver solder instead. The silver solder and flux is pricey but you will have lots left over when you decide to make changes or additions.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Fermenters can sometimes get a bit funky after the fermentation is complete ( a ring of scum on the sides and lid ) and require a bit of elbow grease to clean the scum off . I prefer to ferment in a container I can open so allow easy cleaning . I would not use a keg , unless it had a 6” ferrule in the top I could get my arm in .
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 pm Fermenters can sometimes get a bit funky after the fermentation is complete ( a ring of scum on the sides and lid ) and require a bit of elbow grease to clean the scum off . I prefer to ferment in a container I can open so allow easy cleaning . I would not use a keg , unless it had a 6” ferrule in the top I could get my arm in .
+1

I haven’t been doing this for very long but it’s obvious to me that my fermenters aren’t going to be sticking around as long as my boilers are so IMO going cheap on the fermenter, like using plastic trash cans and buckets, is a more favorable route especially if you’re just starting out.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

TFD,

All of the above are good advice. I wouldn’t ferment in it, go find a barrel for that. Don’t cut the copper, research CCVM. Dig into electronic controllers, Jimbo’s is a good place to start.
If in doubt leave it out.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I am in line with other members, better a separate fermenter and not cut your copper, build a controller.
Thefrenchdude
Novice

Post by Thefrenchdude »

Well.
Thanks for all valuable advices.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

I make wine and have a collection of buckets and carboys now. I like to start ferments in my 10/20 gallon (white) Brute trash cans (NFS food grade plastic) covered with a large dish towel and grate. When fermentation slows, I move the wash/mash to a fermenter that I can put an air lock on. I have a bunch of Better Bottle and Fermonster plastic carboys. I also have a number of glass carboys, but like the plastic for easier handling (less weight). The Fermonsters with their wide mouth openings are a breeze to clean.