Mash smells and odors

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mash smells and odors

Post by Evil_Dark »

Hi there!
Just about to start my first batch of Uncle Jessy Sour Mash, but in order to start it in the correct part of the house, will it produce bad smells/odors? A lot?
I do know what is the nice fermentation odor of the wine a its first days, but what shoud I expect with a corn based mash?

If i put it in the laudry room, can the wash absorb the laudry soap odors? (I would do this for wine, as I would be afraid that the ferment absorbs some small amount of soap smells...

Thanks for your advices.

Regards
Evil_Dark
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mash smells and odors

Post by Ben »

Shouldn't absorb anything if you have an airlock on it.

The smell will be dependent on the yeast and temp. Sometimes you will get fruity smells, fresh bread, occasionally some sulfur, usually smells pretty nice though. My ferments go in the kitchen. You shouldn't get the vomit smell associated with pre-lactic conversion in corn, it should all be ferment smells of fresh corn and sugar.
:)
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yeast converts sugar to ethanol and carbon dioxide. Even in a semi-open fermenter with just a loose-fitting lid yeast will fill the headspace with a protective blanket of C02 pushing out oxygen and potentially invading odors. Maintaining this barrier is a good reason to leave your fermenter unmolested.
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

As far as smells, it shouldn't be anymore that bread rising. (Just a lot of it)
My recent 25 gallon mashes of all corn made my garage smell of warm buttery corn. Delicious!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

In a closed environment you will have a typical smell of fermentation, I don't agree with those who say "no smell", if you are familiar with wine will be a similar smell but every ferment will have a typical odor generally not very annoying, it could happen (according to the Ingredients, temperatures, yeast etc ...) to have a little pleasant smell, generally if you open the window will disappear.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Ok, so nothing to worry about! I enjoy personnaly the wine fermetation odours.
So the wife should'nt get angry lol!
Thanks for all the inputs!
Regards
Evil_Dark
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Evil_Dark wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 am Ok, so nothing to worry about! I enjoy personnaly the wine fermetation odours.
So the wife should'nt get angry lol!
Thanks for all the inputs!
Regards
If she should get angry, I don't take any responsibility for your wounds! :lol: :roll:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I’ve had the whole basement smell “acidic and sour” from the hydrated CO2 blowing off of an aggressive ferment.

If I had a wife, I’m sure she’d be complaining about how the whole house “stinks” because of it. I guess if you “like” the smell of farts, then you may like the smell of an active UJSSM ferment. But again, “size matters” … the bigger the ferment, the more likely you’ll have smells coming from it.

If in doubt, just ferment in an outbuilding.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Evil_Dark wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 am
If i put it in the laudry room,

If running your fermenter in the laundry room then I suggest you use a blow-off tube rather than an airlock. Run the blow-off into a jug of water into which a bit of bleach has been added. That way your laundry room will smell like ... a laundry room.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

You need enough air flow to prevent the concentration of Co2 in the

laundry room preventing the possibility of asphyxiation.
be water my friend