Hacking my Air-Still, worth it?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BaconWizard
Novice

Hacking my Air-Still, worth it?

Post by BaconWizard »

Ok, so I am using an air-still and enjoying it so far.

I have begun running it on half-power sometimes, which improved things for me a little.

I recently measured the outlet from the boiler, that goes to the condenser on-top, suspecting that the voltage being provided to the fan is exactly the same as that being provided to the entire unit.
Sure enough, it is unchanged.

This being the case, I have the option of powering the boiler and condenser (which is just a fan) seperately, meaning I could have the boiler working at half power but the fan still going at full-whack.

Is there any advantage to doing-so?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Hacking my Air-Still, worth it?

Post by Yummyrum »

Good question :thumbup:

The Condensing power (or ability ) needs to equal or better than boiler power .
So guessing the real question is “is there a linear relationship between how efficient the fan is compared to the boiler as the voltage is reduced … probably by a phase controller “ ?

Haven’t tried it but I think the fan will keep running pretty well , then suddenly stall as you wind down the power .

My thinking would be to isolate the fan wiring and run it on full voltage . Top priority is to always be able to condense vapour …. Un condensed vapour is dangerous .Stalled fan is not a game I’d risk playing .

Good hack , yeah , I think so :ewink:
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

Yeah I can't think of a down-side to it.

It's been absolutely fine running on half-power (both boiler and fan) but I haven't tried distilling on a blazing hot summer's day yet.

RIght, well I need to obtain a female kettle-lead then :)
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

+1 on what yummy said

But..
IMHO if you feel the need to modify an air still, its time to start playing with bigger toys?
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

BaconWizard wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:59 am
I could have the boiler working at half power but the fan still going at full-whack.

If your air still is 750W (?) and my Still Spirits Air Still is 340W……… running yours at half power would be about the same.
However if yours is also 340W (or 320W)…... why do you would want less heat.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

RC Al wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:37 am IMHO if you feel the need to modify an air still, its time to start playing with bigger toys?
A lot of truth in that statement . :ebiggrin:
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I'm a geek who can't resist taking apart and "improving" anything and everything. We recently bought a new car with a very fancy on-board computer. It needs a firmware upgrade and I'm struggling with the temptation to see if it can be hacked...

... so I say do it. Even if you then also upgrade rapidly to some bigger and better kit. :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

You won't find many people on the forum who won't fully endorse any and all rabbit holes you want to try.
On a good day someone will shout out "that's silly" or "I tried it already" but there are some extraordinarily
creative and/or OCD folk on this forum who are willing to try darn near anything.

I might suggest that an Air Still is limiting and inefficient but the next guy will hook up a small plane turboprop engine, a super-chilled gas, and encase it all in some kind of clear bullet-proof box with RGB lights. I have spent far more money on my shiny lego piece parts than makes any sense at all (I am also that guy) but if you give me a few minutes I can dazzle you with excuses.

I find the process of learning up about every single little bit and piece, the history, science, enginerding, and art is more fun than the the actual fermenting and distilling... And I drink alcohol infrequently so I have to figure out how to give it away once I have made some. lmfao....

So is it worth it... From any sane measure probably not but if you want to do it then absolutely it is.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

RC Al wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:37 am +1 on what yummy said

But..
IMHO if you feel the need to modify an air still, its time to start playing with bigger toys?
Welp, yeah obviously I'd like that. But circumstances do not currently allow, and I really AM a noob, so this will do for now. I can't leave things alone lol.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

tiramisu wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am the next guy will hook up a small plane turboprop engine, a super-chilled gas, and encase it all in some kind of clear bullet-proof box with RGB lights. I have spent far more money on my shiny lego piece parts than makes any sense at all (I am also that guy) but if you give me a few minutes I can dazzle you with excuses.
:lol: :clap:

You are describing a more competant version of me! lol

Guess I'll give it and a few other ideas a shot, then.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:20 pm why do you would want less heat.
Well I've already done that bit, I am wondering if I want more (back to normal) cooling at the condenser since it is available at the same time.
But to answer your question, because a slower-running still smears between cuts less (not a HUGE difference, but a difference nonetheless) and I get 5-10% more ABV out of it in combination with other factors (such as the perforated copper plate and beads I've installed where the gin-basket goes)
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

BaconWizard wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:28 pm
slower-running still smears between cuts less ... in combination with other factors (such as the perforated copper plate and beads ...

can’t imagine an air still running slower than slow!…. a bow to your wattage.

Would be interested to see a picture of your ‘perforated copper plate and beads’.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:56 pm can’t imagine an air still running slower than slow!…. a bow to your wattage.

Would be interested to see a picture of your ‘perforated copper plate and beads’.
I don't know that it's any slower than yours. I am in the UK, so 240v. I bump it down to 110v is all.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the plate etc. It's nothing fancy at-all, I literally got some copper plate, dished it a bit and drilled some holes!
It's partly to induce a tiny amount of reflux action, but more about having a catalyst for making esters, which I have yet to try.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:08 am I'm a geek who can't resist taking apart and "improving" anything and everything. We recently bought a new car with a very fancy on-board computer. It needs a firmware upgrade and I'm struggling with the temptation to see if it can be hacked...

... so I say do it. Even if you then also upgrade rapidly to some bigger and better kit. :wink:
YES

Geoff
The Baker
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

BaconWizard wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm
more about having a catalyst for making esters

I know nothing about ‘catalyst for making esters’! … but can say that when I soak my copper discs (90 mm and 100 mm diameters) in vinegar between runs and rub hard with a cloth the smelly black on the cloth makes me glad it is not in the distil.
Planning on adding a third disc at 70 mm.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:16 pm
BaconWizard wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm
more about having a catalyst for making esters

I know nothing about ‘catalyst for making esters’! … but can say that when I soak my copper discs (90 mm and 100 mm diameters) in vinegar between runs and rub hard with a cloth the smelly black on the cloth makes me glad it is not in the distil.
Planning on adding a third disc at 70 mm.
But is the black CAUSED by the vinegar?

Geoff
The Baker
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

The Baker wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 pm
But is the black CAUSED by the vinegar?

You have a hypothesis ?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

+1 yummy. Once you drop below the required voltage for that fan it’s going to shut down. Isolate das fan from der boiler und you’ll be able to do all sorts of tinkering. Shouldn’t be too expensive either :egeek:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I run my counter top air pot at 75% through a variable power supply. It works fine and it doesn't seem to smear like wide open sometimes does.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I do just that run fan seperate. Fan stays on full power boiler gets turned down. Otherwise it spews vapour. I dont particuly like this type of still and is only used couple times a year for gin.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

bluc wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:11 pm I do just that run fan seperate. Fan stays on full power boiler gets turned down. Otherwise it spews vapour. I dont particuly like this type of still and is only used couple times a year for gin.
Good to know.

Yeah, gin and absinthe are what I’ve been doing with it so-far and will continue-with, but I’m also deeply interested in rum and only have this to work-with.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:56 pm Would be interested to see a picture of your ‘perforated copper plate and beads’.

There's the plate (it's slightly dished) held in-place by some PTFE tubing with a slit in the side.

I am no longer using copper beads but instead intend pack the gap between the plate and the condenser with copper-wool. Haven't tried it yet, but I should be less busy after this month.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

BaconWizard wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:54 pm

There's the plate (it's slightly dished) held in-place by some PTFE tubing with a slit in the side.

My two discs, haven't gotten around to making the 3rd disc yet.

BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:37 pm
My two discs, haven't gotten around to making the 3rd disc yet.
Very nice! There might just be room for me to add that as-well. Hmmm. :think:

I know this is not even remotely the right still for making any of the things that actually require copper, but as well as being stuck with it for now, there is a peverse pleasure in doing it anyhow!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

BaconWizard wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:33 pm I know this is not even remotely the right still for making any of the things that actually require copper,
All stills require copper to make anything remotely worth making.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

BaconWizard wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:33 pm

not even remotely the right still for making any of the things that actually require copper

would disagree… the air is a pot as copper does for whiskey... my most recent 100% malts are encouraging.
BaconWizard
Novice

Post by BaconWizard »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:06 pm
BaconWizard wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:33 pm

not even remotely the right still for making any of the things that actually require copper

would disagree… the air is a pot as copper does for whiskey... my most recent 100% malts are encouraging.
Not sure I understand that sentence. But obviously, since the air-still does not contain copper, then it cannot do the things that require copper to function, unless one adds it. If you are making decent malts in it, which is awesome, then by default the conclusion must be that decent malt does not require copper to make.
Last edited by BaconWizard on Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

All stills need copper to make good booze. The type of booze or still is of no consequence.