How long can yeast last in Ujssm

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OklahomaShiner
Novice

How long can yeast last in Ujssm

Post by OklahomaShiner »

It’s been about 4 to 5 weeks since I’ve last ran some ujssm. My question is is the yeast in my fermenter still good? Can I go ahead and add my sugar and water to get the wash going again, is it best to start over or could/should I add more yeast to it? My fermenter has been air locked the entire time.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: How long can yeast last in Ujssm

Post by still_stirrin »

OklahomaShiner wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:33 am It’s been about 4 to 5 weeks since I’ve last ran some ujssm. My question is is the yeast in my fermenter still good? <— Can you? Or, should you?

Chances are, the yeast is still viable. However, it likely is not healthy, meaning it probably won’t “kick off” quickly. Or, it may produce off flavors and bad ferment by-products.

Can I go ahead and add my sugar and water to get the wash going again, is it best to start over or could/should I add more yeast to it? <— Would it “break the bank” to buy fresh (dry) yeast? I certainly wouldn’t spend the time and money for sugar for a UJ ferment and “risk” unhealthy yeast simply because I didn’t want to buy more yeast. Do you gamble? Like to play “the ponies”?

My fermenter has been air locked the entire time. <— Well, that is goodness, at least.
Free advice: Don’t “cheap out” in your processes.

At the very least, pull a small culture of the yeast and make up a starter to re-energize the yeast. Grow it up to the size needed for your ferment. Mitigate risk before wasting sugar on a bad ferment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
OklahomaShiner
Novice

Post by OklahomaShiner »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am
OklahomaShiner wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:33 am It’s been about 4 to 5 weeks since I’ve last ran some ujssm. My question is is the yeast in my fermenter still good? <— Can you? Or, should you?

Chances are, the yeast is still viable. However, it likely is not healthy, meaning it probably won’t “kick off” quickly. Or, it may produce off flavors and bad ferment by-products.

Can I go ahead and add my sugar and water to get the wash going again, is it best to start over or could/should I add more yeast to it? <— Would it “break the bank” to buy fresh (dry) yeast? I certainly wouldn’t spend the time and money for sugar for a UJ ferment and “risk” unhealthy yeast simply because I didn’t want to buy more yeast. Do you gamble? Like to play “the ponies”?

My fermenter has been air locked the entire time. <— Well, that is goodness, at least.
Free advice: Don’t “cheap out” in your processes.

At the very least, pull a small culture of the yeast and make up a starter to re-energize the yeast. Grow it up to the size needed for your ferment. Mitigate risk before wasting sugar on a bad ferment.
ss
Thanks for the advice, I wasn’t really sure. I have PLENTY of yeast on hand. I’ll take some out and add a little sugar to see what happens but I’ll most likely just start over.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Washing and propagating the yeast for a couple of days seems like the smart decision although you would not be the first to just add sugar and water, and it will probably work out. But, it might not. It is usually best just to avoid problems in the first place.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Investing in a stir plate is a great way to step up your yeast cultures as well.