Cuts and blending, not just a one-shot deal

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bee
Swill Maker

Re: Cuts and blending, not just a one-shot deal

Post by Bee »

I put some hearts on oak before I completely understood cuts. 8 mos later I tasted it and it was flatter than an A-cup.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Bee wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:10 pm I put some hearts on oak before I completely understood cuts. 8 mos later I tasted it and it was flatter than an A-cup.
That’s interesting. Do you still taste and smell heads?
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

There really weren't heads in it. Momentary flavor followed by nothing.

I added some select tails from another brew later, we'll see how it goes.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

So now I want a barrel to add all the close but not great jars to. Wait till it’s full many years from now and wait some more. See what happens from all the different jars. Maybe work maybe not.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

PoppaW wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:46 pm So now I want a barrel to add all the close but not great jars to. Wait till it’s full many years from now and wait some more. See what happens from all the different jars. Maybe work maybe not.
I have a five liter "Whatever Jar" that sort of fits that description. It is several years old now, but has unwanted commercial products in it that are far older. Much of the contents are leftovers from when bottling years old home distilled product. It occasionally gets extra wood from a nice demijohn that has been emptied. I try to keep it about 2/3rds full to allow for some O2 in the headspace. It constantly evolves and keeps getting better. I keep it at around 38-40% abv. so that it is ready to drink straight from the jar. It got a top up with leftovers from a very nice 2015 brandy yesterday.