Plate stills

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

Plate stills

Post by PoppaW »

A few questions on plate stills. I searched and found lots on everything else but what I want to know. So my questions are
Can you put your wash in the boiler and do a one and done run with 6 plates.? Or more or less? If it’s best to strip how do you do that with plates? I’m pretty comfortable with my pot still and reflux column but the plates are calling my name.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: Plate stills

Post by Setsumi »

One and done runs on plates is certainly doable. Myself started with one and done runs on 5 plates, then i tried a strip and combined it with a mash. That increased my yield with little effort. I have a keg in potstill to strip and a bigger boiler for the flutes.

Now i strip 2 or 3 kegs to get 30 to 45lt low wines at 30% and fill my big boiler to 65lt with the low wines and mash. So depending on the strip charge i have between 25 to 35lt mash.

Plates do flavourd spirits and low wines build aging stock faster.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Agree with Setsumi .Can do one and done on plates especially if its wash ABV of about 10% . But if running lower ABV wash , better to strip half of it first .
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I run 2 plates, a wash of 8% and feints added (overall ABV of about 12%) will yield an output of ≈88% in the hearts. Usually just one and done.
:)
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Plates allow you to choose the amount of purification in a single run. Imho you can create a spirit close to a two x pot still with 1 or 2 plates or make a neutral with 20+ plates. Or anything in between with a different number of plates.

I ran spirits with 2 plates, 3 plates, 4 plates, or more depending on what I wanted. Want a rough spirit at 130-140 proof, 2 plates, cleaner at 160-170 proof then 3 would do the trick. I never ran 6, but it could make a pretty clean spirit in a single run. I expect you would have to detune it a bit to make anything like a whiskey as it would be too clean. I am sure it can be done, the real question is, what do you want to make?

I believe a plated still is a great tool as you can optimize the number of plates to how clean a spirit you want. Can’t do that with a pot still.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

PoppaW wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:43 pm Can you put your wash in the boiler and do a one and done run with 6 plates.
You can if you want , the more plates used the less flavour you will end up with. One and done is what Plated Columns/ Flutes/ Bubblers are designed to do. I good average number to start with is 4 plates......work up or down from there as you gain experience and learn how much flavour you want.
PoppaW wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:43 pm If it’s best to strip how do you do that with plates?
If you want to use one for stripping you simply cut off the water supply to the Dephlegmator.......dont run any water.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

I have a 4" column that I can use 4 plates. If I want a clean neutral I'll run all 4 plates with the dephag turned up with a lot of reflux. When I run rum and whiskey, I use 2 plates and less reflux. Took a while to find my sweet spot.
With 6 plates you should have tons of flexibility.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You won't make anything resembling neutral with 4 plates.....vodka with flavour maybe.
People seem to be using the term neutral more and more loosely as time go's by.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

IMALOSERSCUMBAG wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:33 am I have a 4" column that I can use 4 plates. If I want a clean neutral I'll run all 4 plates with the dephag turned up with a lot of reflux. When I run rum and whiskey, I use 2 plates and less reflux. Took a while to find my sweet spot.
With 6 plates you should have tons of flexibility.
Do you only run your wash once with your plates, or you do a stripping run prior your spirit run?
Evil_Dark
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Just once. I have never needed a spirit run. I will say it does take some time and attention to figure out how your still will work but with plates and the dephlegmator you don't need spirit runs. Not saying you can't do both, it's a preference.

I kept running UJSSM and cut into small cuts, testing different set ups and such until I found the sweet spot. Now I'm still making adjustments but not major.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:01 pm You won't make anything resembling neutral with 4 plates.....vodka with flavour maybe.
People seem to be using the term neutral more and more loosely as time go's by.
Good point. Wouldn't a true "neutral" have absolutely no taste? If that's the bar to set, then yes, I would need more sections and plates. Or do a couple runs.

I used to use Birdwatchers for my neutral. I now keep my heads and tails in carboys until I get enough to run. I then get a "neutral" but yes, it has some taste. So far it's a pleasant taste so I'm good with it. I don't waste anything. If I get a shitty run, it gets rerun until I get it clean enough to drink.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

IMALOSERSCUMBAG wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:51 pm Wouldn't a true "neutral" have absolutely no taste? If that's the bar to set, then yes,
Thats pretty much my point , if we lower the bar where does it end ?.......true neutral is not an easy thing to make.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Now you have me thinking Bill. Considering I have a 4" diameter column, how many plates do you think I would need? Wouldn't you think the dephlegmator helps?

I do love trying new things and making a true neutral is on the list.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Might be easier to just add a packed section between your top two plates to get it to come out neutral.
:)
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

40 plates.....so I'm told.

Edited: Saltbush's number below is the correct one. Lord only knows why I typed that.....
Last edited by Oatmeal on Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ben wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:00 am Might be easier to just add a packed section between your top two plates to get it to come out neutral
Most people's experience is that a packed section works best on top of plates....not between or under them.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 am how many plates do you think I would need?
Theorticaly it's a lot more than four......closer to 20 from memory...if your happy with what your all ready making stick with that.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Odin has said it takes a minimum of 15 plates to reach azeo, I believe that is a good number to reach it. To make something at any rate, I think 20+ works better. He also says no improvement beyond 40 plates. I know many claim azeo with less than 15-20 plates, but I expect it’s because they simply don’t have the tools to measure the abv accurately enough to be able to tell. Besides unless you are commercial, the small difference is not really important. If it is, it’s actually hard to go from high 189’s to mid 190’s. My vodka column ran best as 8ft of 4” over 1 6” bubble cap. I would have gone taller except I was space limited.

Packing is a cheaper way to achieve the high number of plates required. Just divide the height of the column by the hetp of your packing for a number of plates. Marbles are around 4.5-5” hetp, ss scrubbies are right at about 4” and SPP is supposed to be lower especially when run flooded. I am one who has run a single plate under packing. I like how it runs.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Wife: Why are you cutting a hole in the roof?
Me: Fulfilling my quest for the perfect neutral.
Wife: When will you achieve this?
Me: Likely never.
Wife: Why are you doing it then?
Me: QUEST
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Cutting holes in ceilings has already been done.......you wouldn't be the first.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

DSCN0013.JPG.cbc14b514fa98eaf6c629e46238e833b.jpeg
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.