Thump kegs

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JimmyIrish
Novice

Thump kegs

Post by JimmyIrish »

Afternoon All. My question is i run a 20 gallon pot with a 2.75 gallon thumper i have a opportunity to get my hands on a 5 gallon with a fruit cap. And being only a year or so in this awesome hobby and not really knowing. Would this put a strain on heat up times or any negative effects to my system. Thanks
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Thump kegs

Post by Kareltje »

Hard to say without knowing your set up, but I personally would not miss an opportunity to get a larger thumper. Gives much more possibilities.

And heat up time can be reduced by good isolation and by heating up the contents beforehand.
JimmyIrish
Novice

Post by JimmyIrish »

Much appreciated.
JimmyIrish
Novice

Post by JimmyIrish »

Would you suggest possibly a hot plate to set the thumper on to help get the heat up faster?
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

my 2¢ worth... YES on the thumper size upgrade! period. IMHO... ;-) 'general rule of thumb'... you can go anywhere between 1/4 (min) - 1/2 (max) of the pot still capacity, but... i run about 1/8 on my thumper, so who am i to talk?? ;-) point being, i would LOVE to get my hands on a thumper that was 1/4 of my pot still capacity! however, to Kareltje's point... what is right for YOU is dependent on YOUR setup! CM/VM/LM... reflux/tower/pot/etc... give us more specs, and we MIGHT be able to help better?? :-)
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Yes! bigger thumper with the ability to add fruit and clean out the mess, great deal. Yes, it will take longer to pre heat but you can short cut with a hot plate or accept the time as the cost of a better product.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.