Sugar wash fail?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DaveTLB
Novice

Sugar wash fail?

Post by DaveTLB »

My new Turbo Sugar wash just isn't bubbling. I followed exactly the same process and quantities as previous, but have seen hardly any bubbling in 5 days. The fermenting bin lid isn't exactly tight, so I have taped it up.

21L tap water (left to stand for 24 hours)
6kg Turbo Sugar
Packet Turbo Yeast
Packet Carbon

Anyone else had similar problems? Should I leave it? Ditch it? Strip run it?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Sugar wash fail?

Post by NZChris »

You should measure the SG. Action in the bubbler only works if there are no leaks.

Take the lid off and look for bubbles or put your ear to it and listen for them. If the SG isn't dropping and you can't see, or hear, activity, then you have a problem.

Your other problem might be that Turbo yeasts don't make great liquor for drinking. If you are making fuel, they are excellent.
DaveTLB
Novice

Post by DaveTLB »

Ok, thanks. What yeast do you recommend?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Chris is on the money, you never rely on an air lock to tell you if a ferment is doing well or not.
Use your eyes and ears, get that lid off and have a look in there , is it fizzing on top.....or just tiny bubbles......stick your ear close ..can you hear it fizzing .....NO I'm not joking ..it will talk to you and tell you things.
Get rid of the Turdbo rubbish and run some proper yeast in washes at realistic alcohol levels.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For sugar wash neutral, I use bakers yeast and only aim for 8% ABV so as not to stress the yeast and cause off flavors. Some here aim higher, maybe 10%, but 8% works well for me. Fast ferments, clean product suitable for gin after double distillation in a simple pot still, even better with reflux for the spirit run.

I've tried a few methods described on this forum, but I've gravitated back to using Shady's Sugar Shine, which I was probably making before Shady got the internet :D https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70585
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:15 am 've gravitated back to using Shady's Sugar Shine, which I was probably making before Shady got the internet
Its a shame you never shared the recipe way back then Chris, it would have saved Shady the trouble. :sarcasm:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There wasn't an internet, as we know it, back then. It would have been before I bought a 1200 baud modem and a monitor.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Ahhh. The soft and gentle, soothing sound of a modem connecting. It still amazes me that I used to have to hang up the phone to a friend in order to look something up on the internet (and not on Google).

On-topic: I made one turbo sugar wash and I still use the dregs of the stripping run for cleaning new still parts. Actually I think I used the last of it cleaning the reflux column when I built it.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
DaveTLB
Novice

Post by DaveTLB »

Thanks for your input everyone - I'll definitely ditch the Turbo and go Baker's Yeast.
DaveTLB
Novice

Post by DaveTLB »

Well, I did by stripping run with that wash (I left it in the fermenting bin for 7 days). I has 22L of wash, got 3L out @ 86%Vol. Then I did a neutral spirit run (diluted it to 38%Vol) and got 6L out at 84%Vol. Tastes a little 'yeasty', but has a full, rounded feel about it. I'm putting it through a carbon filter now. Next step will be a gin distil.

Next one will be Shady's Sugar Wash recipe.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:06 am There wasn't an internet, as we know it, back then. It would have been before I bought a 1200 baud modem and a monitor.
1200. Baud. Sheer luxury.

Some of us has to work on 300 and an acoustic coupler
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7