YANNA (yet another newbie needing advice)

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pjm1
Novice

YANNA (yet another newbie needing advice)

Post by pjm1 »

Thanks to everyone for the amazing resources here. The time and effort to build this up and maintain it is gobsmacking, so thank you. I can confirm I have full on eye-bleed and have done my obligatory post in the welcome section. I'm trying to avoid asking questions which have been asked & answered before, although I do realise I'm asking the obvious noob question of "so what still" sorry if it's all a bit TL;DR.

I am not much of a spirit drinker, neither is my wife (despite living in Scotland - I have a decent single malt collection that rarely gets sampled!)... we do love G&T though. So, I really want to get into making gin. I'm partial to Tanqueray 10 but will willingly mix poorer gins with my tonic if that's what we have. We have a bit of a family consensus on gin being the spirit of choice. That's good in that it's easier and quicker to get "into", however it presents a problem of sorts in that I need to be able to make good GNS and then be able to redistill with the botanicals into gin.

I've so far discounted: (1) horrid Amazon imported "stills" that look like they're made out of tin foil. (2) AirStill - sure, I can see it's possible, but apart from the advantage of lowish cost it's just small, plasticky (!) and not easily upgradeable. (3) T500 - looks a big improvement on the previous 2 but possibly overpriced for what it is?

Which leaves me making something. I'm reasonably handy despite having a desk job - I designed and built a summer house to contain our hot tub, learning bricklaying and roof rafter making as I went. I haven't done any brazing, welding or plumbing and although I do own an arc welder, I've never actually used it... I don't anticipate needing to start for this, mind!

It seems fairly clear that I have to have a pot still - or, at a push a reflux/bokakob that can be detuned - so one question is whether I can get away with just having one head initially? And should that head be a pot still head + liebig (or worm) or is it better to build a bokakob and rely on the facility to remove the packing?

At least initially I'd prefer to avoid making two heads. However, the idea of making them modular with triclamps and ptfe gaskets does appeal... I like upgradeability and interchangeability. We have a fair bit of space, but I won't be popular if I end up with LOADS of gear straight away. However, once my better half starts enjoying the fruits of my distillation then I suspect I'll get a free rein :lol:

For the boiler, I also have a conundrum. I am a very keen cook and I have a decent but not irreplaceable 10l stock pot. It has a glass lid with a vent, so that would need replacing with SS for about £15. I could, conceivably find a way to clamp that on and either fashion a PTFE based gasket or, more likely, use flour + water to seal. I have no objections to getting my hands on the various copper components to make the rest of any starter kit - it might take me a while and I might make a few mistakes, but the plans etc. here seem pretty good (instructables also has a detailed how to guide with UK pricing/availability info).

Or do I bite the bullet and buy a boiler that's better suited / bigger? The cost would obviously be more than £15 for the new lid but it would be more than 10litres which is a concern once I get bitten by the bug. I've seen the beer keg boiler which looks very clever and simple at the same time but I'm concerned with the exposed heating element and, given I'm exclusively doing gin, the risk of scorching. All else being equal, I'd prefer to be able to use an external heater such as a portable induction (if the boiler is SS) or conventional electric hot plate - neither of which will probably work with the keg because of it not having a flat bottom? I can be convinced away from that though, especially since I'll need to buy that extra hot plate which means even my stock pot boiler solution will cost a fair bit more than just the £15 lid. Then again, every now and again the local Lidl/Aldi sells 15-20l tea urns for super cheap (£40-50) that might be viable, if they're plastic-free...

So, in summary:
  1. Pot still head or detuneable bokakob?
  2. Use stockpot + modded lid + external heater, or build something else as a boiler? (Or buy if Lidl/Aldi has a burco going cheap)
Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction. Edited to add: I'm totally sold on just sticking to the basic sugar wash for a while and honing my cuts with OEG - the uncertainty is far more about the actual hardware...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: YANNA (yet another newbie needing advice)

Post by still_stirrin »

Read through the Construction Forum for a while. I hope that you can find the answers there. If you don't know the "build or buy" answers yet, then just keep reading.

And while you're at it, read through the Tried & True Recipe Forum and possibly the Recipe Development Forum. Learn what you want to make. And how to brew and ferment it. All of these lessons are needed before you begin to "lose sleep" over your boiler and/or stillhead.

When you've read enough, you'll know it. And you'll know what you want to build or possibly buy, although I suggest building as the best path into this hobby.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

To me, the copper bin at any scrapyard usually looks like it contains the components for at least one still. My main pot still is made from SS and copper scrap.

Although I do have a Bokakob, (built after a visit to a scrapyard), the bulk of my gin is made using heart cut from a pot still. No matter how often you might hear it being preached that you need refluxed neutral, all you really need is well made heart cut spirit that enhances, matches, or at least doesn't clash with, the gin you are making.

My best gin still is built from a saucepan and steamer from a charity shop and uses flour paste seals. My second best is a copper alembic bought on an online auction for a fraction of the new price.

I've seen a T500 including a pot head in a second hand shop for a fraction of the new price.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

pjm1 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:58 pm
we do love G&T though. So, I really want to get into making gin. I'm partial to Tanqueray 10 but will willingly mix poorer gins with my tonic if that's what we have.

Air Still with infusion basket, botanicals on the spirit run…… copper discs on strip runs.
I sometimes add an ice cube, never tonic.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

If I were you, I would find a coppersmith close to you. Discuss whatever build you decide on. Both my stills are all copper and just plain pot stills. I don't regret spending the money for copper. I bought both and pleased with that decision as well. If I had built my own and it wasn't perfect, it would drive me crazy while running the still. I would be staring at the imperfections instead of enjoying my rigs. It's all personal preference. Read now, decide later
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
pjm1
Novice

Post by pjm1 »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:32 pm Read through the Construction Forum for a while. I hope that you can find the answers there. If you don't know the "build or buy" answers yet, then just keep reading.

And while you're at it, read through the Tried & True Recipe Forum and possibly the Recipe Development Forum. Learn what you want to make. And how to brew and ferment it. All of these lessons are needed before you begin to "lose sleep" over your boiler and/or stillhead.

When you've read enough, you'll know it. And you'll know what you want to build or possibly buy, although I suggest building as the best path into this hobby.
ss
Thanks Still_stirrin... I'm not sure it's possible to read enough - there will always be more! After a week of lurking and hoovering up everything I can I've reached these two key questions. I am set on a few gin recipes but won't get distracted from the basic OEG until I've done a fair few runs of that.
NZChris wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:48 pm To me, the copper bin at any scrapyard usually looks like it contains the components for at least one still. My main pot still is made from SS and copper scrap.

Although I do have a Bokakob, (built after a visit to a scrapyard), the bulk of my gin is made using heart cut from a pot still. No matter how often you might hear it being preached that you need refluxed neutral, all you really need is well made heart cut spirit that enhances, matches, or at least doesn't clash with, the gin you are making.

My best gin still is built from a saucepan and steamer from a charity shop and uses flour paste seals. My second best is a copper alembic bought on an online auction for a fraction of the new price.

I've seen a T500 including a pot head in a second hand shop for a fraction of the new price.
That's a great suggestion - I'll take a look at some of the local scrap yards. We aren't in the most populous area so it's quite likely we don't even have a "copper bin" but I'll go have a look!

I was leaning towards a basic pot still, although ideally one I can swaps heads of, if I choose to add something else later. Thanks for the advice re: not strictly needing a reflux - that seems like it can be a decision for another time. I am not sure we'll get distilling kit hitting second hand shops here given it's not quite as generally legal as it is in NZ... but I'll keep my eyes peeled.
SmokyMtn wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:04 pm If I were you, I would find a coppersmith close to you. Discuss whatever build you decide on. Both my stills are all copper and just plain pot stills. I don't regret spending the money for copper. I bought both and pleased with that decision as well. If I had built my own and it wasn't perfect, it would drive me crazy while running the still. I would be staring at the imperfections instead of enjoying my rigs. It's all personal preference. Read now, decide later
I like this idea a lot. I have a friend who is a metalworker, although basically iron (decorative) and steel (structural). I will ask him about copper and what I'm looking to do. Only downside is he will be charging me in perpetuity by demanding product!

Thanks everyone - really helpful as I hoped you might be... again, really appreciative of all the combined knowledge here and time to take to get us newbies on the right path. :thumbup: