Copper pics after vinegar run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fuggles
Novice

Copper pics after vinegar run

Post by Fuggles »

Hi all, I just built my first still and was expecting more clean looking shine after the first vinegar run. I did 50/50, steaming for 20 and condensing for 20. I only ran my 5500W element at 50% so I wouldn't overwhelm my ventilation. Used softened water in the mix as it only occurred to me after to use RO. Prior to the run I soaked and scrubbed with vinegar so there was no visible flux even before the run.

Am I ready to run the sacrificial sugar wash, or do I have more cleaning to do?

vap_in800.jpg
vap_out800.jpg
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper pics after vinegar run

Post by Tummydoc »

Run it, its a tool not an art project!
Last edited by acfixer69 on Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

2709FD4B-6903-404C-A2F8-AB100EF5F95B.jpeg
Mine gets gritty after a strip run but usually just rinse it. Need to do a cleaning protocol for a shotgun and tall column soon too!

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

Tummydoc wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:10 am Run it, its a tool not an art project!
LOL OK thanks for the reality check.
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

I'll share a before pic of the boiler
boilbottom800.jpg
I suppose it will never look this clean again.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Looks fine to me, eventually the copper is going to have a beautiful patina inside. That's what you want.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

I have a follow up question about the cleaning run. I have 16gal of sugar wash that fermented out to 16% ABV and just waiting for the yeast to drop a bit. Was thinking of using half of that for cleaning and save the other half for experimenting. Should I use more than half or could I get away with less? For reference my kettle is a 15gal flipped sanke like so
still800.jpg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

You could probably get away with using about a 1/4.

Run it for 30min to an hour tops should do it .
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

Just getting back to this after fixing a leaky shotgun. Getting ready for my cleaning run.

I think I mounted my element too high but this is what I’m working with for now. It takes 10L to just cover it. I got 16% ABV sugar wash. Say I want to run down to 2.5cm (1”) above my element, I need an extra 3L, so 13L left in boiler at the end. Playing around with https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/htm/calc ... t_calc.htm If I run at 3100W for 60 minutes after heat up and collect 7L I need to start with 20L. Purity start 62%, end 22%. Does this sound right and like a proper cleaning run? Should I use more wash or dilute for more element coverage? I left the default of 10% internal reflux is that an ok starting assumption for this set up?

TLDR How much wash do I need above my element?
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

As long as your element doesn't run dry you'll be OK. Once the wash is all up to temp it should keep boiling uniformly. I have the same situation and I do get a pretty hardcore temperature gradient when heating up, but the bottom seems to stay good and hot once it's running. I need 10L to cover it comfortably (I think 9.5L would do it) and I'll happily take it down to those 10L if I need to.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

Thanks Normandie. I did this cleaning run which was my first ever alcohol run and it was quite interesting. The smell at the start of the run had me concerned but that must just be foreshots as it measured around 80%. I pulled 5.25L total and the purity levelled out at 65% and then dropped to 46%. I got some noise at the end when I turned up the power and fell cold air at the output, so that must have been huffing.

After taking it all down I tried cleaning my shotgun by pushing paper towel through it. That's all from just one tube. It does not look very clean to me
dirty800.jpg
Should I:
Start over with a vinegar run?
Do another alcohol cleaning run? I still have the output from the last run, could mix some of it into some fresh 16% wash to make a stronger charge.
Call this clean and proceed with a run for possible consumption?
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

The vapor tube in my liebig will have dark residue after a run. It is dirtier after stripping than a spirit run. I just pull a patch through until it is clean. You do not want shiny penny clean after you have prepped your still. That can give a metallic twang to your spirit.
Last edited by zed255 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Exactly as Zed said . It is just fine . Shiny copper will give a metallic taste . Just trust that that copper patina will form and work year after after year .

At most a quick rinse out with a hose is as much cleaning after a run as you’ll need . I rarely even bother with that .

The next time you run the still , the fore-shots and heads will clean out anything that need to come off before the hearts come .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I agree 100% with what Yummy has said ..a quick rinse with the garden hose is all that it needs.
Your worrying to much.
Fuggles
Novice

Post by Fuggles »

I’m definitely the type to get hung up on safety and quality issues. Learning so much here. Thank you guys for keeping me on track.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my remaining 38L of 16% sugar wash. I’m not too interested in trying to make a clean spirit on a pot still, although it might be great practice. I might just strip it once to fit it in a corny for later. Then start up an AG wash for whisky and also work on a reflux column.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Strip it fir sure Fuggles .It will always come in handy .