PTFE Valve packing rope

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

PTFE Valve packing rope

Post by MementoMori »

I want to use PTFE on all my equipment. I need to make a gasket and I have made a few (everlasting gaskets) using plumbers tape. I came across PTFE valve packing rope in 5/32 and I'm curious if anyone has used it. They sell it at homedepot and Lowes a company called Danco makes it. Thank you all, I appreciate all the people here on HD.
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness". Aristotle
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: PTFE Valve packing rope

Post by greggn »

MementoMori wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 am I want to use PTFE on all my equipment. I need to make a gasket and I have made a few (everlasting gaskets) using plumbers tape. I came across PTFE valve packing rope in 5/32 and I'm curious if anyone has used it. They sell it at homedepot and Lowes a company called Danco makes it. Thank you all, I appreciate all the people here on HD.

This is a question and answer (from Danco) on the Home Depot web page:

Not understanding why the specs on this are different than Teflon (which is the trademarked name for PTFE). The temperature limits on Teflon tape or PTFE for instance, is over 500 degrees F. This shows 212 degrees F. The packaging label also says "FTE' not PTFE. Is this what accounts for the difference?
byGreg|Aug 9, 2020
1 Answer

A: Thank you for your interest Danco products. Our Danco 80793 Self-Forming Valve Packing is made from PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), or better known in the market as Teflon. The 80794 Self-Forming Valve Packing has graphite coating with PTFE. This enhances the flexibility (easier to form), strength, chemical resistance, and temperature resistance of the packing. The lower temperature range is due to the fact it is only coated with PTFE.
by
|Nov 22, 2021

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

greggn wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:55 am
MementoMori wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 am I want to use PTFE on all my equipment. I need to make a gasket and I have made a few (everlasting gaskets) using plumbers tape. I came across PTFE valve packing rope in 5/32 and I'm curious if anyone has used it. They sell it at homedepot and Lowes a company called Danco makes it. Thank you all, I appreciate all the people here on HD.

This is a question and answer (from Danco) on the Home Depot web page:

Not understanding why the specs on this are different than Teflon (which is the trademarked name for PTFE). The temperature limits on Teflon tape or PTFE for instance, is over 500 degrees F. This shows 212 degrees F. The packaging label also says "FTE' not PTFE. Is this what accounts for the difference?
byGreg|Aug 9, 2020
1 Answer

A: Thank you for your interest Danco products. Our Danco 80793 Self-Forming Valve Packing is made from PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), or better known in the market as Teflon. The 80794 Self-Forming Valve Packing has graphite coating with PTFE. This enhances the flexibility (easier to form), strength, chemical resistance, and temperature resistance of the packing. The lower temperature range is due to the fact it is only coated with PTFE.
by
|Nov 22, 2021
Thank you Greg, I guess I missed that. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I guess this is a no go product then. Best regards friend, cheers 🍻
Tresguey
Novice

Post by Tresguey »

I was thinking of making my own PTFE seals for several different things. I see on McMaster Carr the have sheets of PTFE. I would trust that source.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

I found this helpful. It says extruded ptfe or ePTFE is the same as PTFE. https://adtech.co.uk/about/news/expanded-ptfe-vs-ptfe
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

Tresguey wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:01 pm I was thinking of making my own PTFE seals for several different things. I see on McMaster Carr the have sheets of PTFE. I would trust that source.
Thanks friend, I appreciate you.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

PTFE is a very useful product, but there are some problems behind the scenes.
Just like asbestos or silicones it seems an ideal product.

But in the production of PTFE's a lot of very bad polution is distributed in water and air.
And the products can not be disposed of by burning or any other method. Even worse than the plastic soup.

Plastic, asbestos, silicones, PTFE.
Seem ideal to use, but are impossible to get rid of. Pose large problems, on second sight. The devil in disguise.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

Kareltje wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:50 pm PTFE is a very useful product, but there are some problems behind the scenes.

But in the production of PTFE's a lot of very bad polution is distributed in water and air.
And the products can not be disposed of by burning or any other method. Even worse than the plastic soup.

Seem ideal to use, but are impossible to get rid of. Pose large problems, on second sight. The devil in disguise.
What do you use for your gaskets friend. Seems like everyone here uses ptfe.
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

MementoMori wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:13 am
Kareltje wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:50 pm PTFE is a very useful product, but there are some problems behind the scenes.

PTFE is still the best solution I think... easy to find, inexpensive and safer than silicone. It's true that there's no good way to get rid of PTFE (aka Teflon) so just keep using them as long as they do their job... your grand-grand-grand...-children might be able to keep using them if you take good care of those gaskets.
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

MementoMori wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:13 am

I admit: I use PTFE. And silicones too.
Large gaskets I make of corrugated cardboard, covered with PTFE-tape: everlasting gaskets.
Until I find something better: at some points maybe I do not even need a gasket!

For some things I did not yet found a solution, but I think awareness about the drawbacks is at least an impulse to find a better way. DDT, asbestos, freon etc. have been banned only after the awareness rose enough.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

nearly all people in the United States have PFOA in their blood, thanks teflon
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

Thank you my friends!
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

20220112_201800.jpg
3 gallons collected after making my cuts. My gaskets are stainless washers with 3/4" yellow ptfe tape. I went thick on this so the compression will squeeze well. No leaks yet, fingers crossed.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Kareltje wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:09 am I admit: I use PTFE. And silicones too.
Large gaskets I make of corrugated cardboard, covered with PTFE-tape: everlasting gaskets.
Until I find something better: at some points maybe I do not even need a gasket!

For some things I did not yet found a solution, but I think awareness about the drawbacks is at least an impulse to find a better way. DDT, asbestos, freon etc. have been banned only after the awareness rose enough.
Have you considered copper crush washers?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

cranky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:33 pm
Kareltje wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:09 am I admit: I use PTFE. And silicones too.

I do not know what "copper crush washers" are.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

I haven't considered them, I would need to find the right size. My picture above has a stainless spigot and my gaskets had a leak. I think I will age my spirits in a stainless beer keg until I get this gasket situation sorted out.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Does anybody have experience with copper crush washers for tri-clamp fittings? Asking for a friend. ;-)
-- Rrmuf
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Rrmuf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 am Does anybody have experience with copper crush washers for tri-clamp fittings? Asking for a friend. ;-)
I use them on high pressure hydraulics (1500+ psi). None on the stills.

Easy to make from copper sheet. cut out the correct size anneal and try.

I honestly doubt a tri-clamp will exert enough force to crush properly,

but you can always wrap with PTFE. light tapping vertically may cause

the proper deformation, but the entire joint may need to be clocked to

seal the next time.
be water my friend
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

cob wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 pm Easy to make from copper sheet. cut out the correct size anneal and try.
An annealed piece of copper isn't really a crush washer, at least not the kind I'm talking about, it's really just a copper gasket. What I mean when I say crush washer is more of a gasket made out of a hollow copper tube.
cob wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:17 pm but you can always wrap with PTFE
That defeats the point of the crush washer, it's just making an ever lasting gasket out of copper instead of cardboard...which is what I use but the point of the crush washer is to not have to use PTFE.

I use crush washers and gaskets at work frequently. On the big (up to 8") pneumatic fittings with tri-clamps we use what's probably better described as a metal o-ring, usually stainless steel due to high heat. They are basically U shaped rather than a closed tube, in the shape of a circle of course.

Of course those sort of things are one time use only so every time you take it apart you have to replace them which sucks.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

The epfte rope out there can have a glue to hold it in place. It is easy remove with heads or any solvent.
Copper itself is a good gasket thinking of a flair fit. I've tried to make copper gaskets from thin sheet and it will seal, but it does take some pressure not a tri clamp but a real flange.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Cranky the ones that I buy are dead soft slightly cupped and 5-7/64" depending on the washer application.

If I were making a copper tri-clover gasket The copper ring would be placed between 2 TC ferrules

with a clamp and squeezed in my 100 ton press. re annealing as the copper work hardened 3-5 cycles.

even then I don't think the TC clamp has enough force to achieve a seal. my hydraulic fittings are fine

thread hard steel, and exert extreme clamping force.
be water my friend
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Now I see what you mean. No, but at some points I used fine copper thread from normal electrical devices, curled up hard and then pressed together. Works quite well, when you can leave it in place. Maybe even better with some flour between it.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

... sounds like I should keep to my PTFE triclamp gaskets. :-)
Thanks for all the elaborations.
-- Rrmuf