Reflux condenser flow direction

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Reflux condenser flow direction

Post by elbono »

I'm getting things ready to make the sacrificial run on my new CCVM. I know I've seen this answer before but can't find the post. I'm running the PC and RC in series, water goes in PC (simple csst up and down inside pipe) then out to RC.
16426193973990.jpg
RC is coiled csst. The water goes in the RC to the top coil and out the center, correct?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Re: Reflux condenser flow direction

Post by ThomasBrewer »

With a cold-finger style like you've made, you want the the water to flow immediately to the finger and then exit up the loops.

Edit: This thread confuses the issue a bit, but has weigh-ins from the usual suspects. YMMV and all that. :D
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=73798
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I believe that is the thread I was looking for but now I AM confused:
OtisT wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:36 am
Benredbeard wrote:With a cold finger style RC is it important which side to have as the inlet (finger flows down then coil back up for example)?
My understanding of this is that the top of the coil in a RC should be the inlet (coldest), so that the coil is progressively hotter the lower you go. You want the coldest part of the coil at top, and the hottest side on the bottom. That way your liquid RC drops as warm as possible.

Otis
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

elbono wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:00 pm I believe that is the thread I was looking for but now I AM confused:
OtisT wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:36 am
Benredbeard wrote:With a cold finger style RC is it important which side to have as the inlet (finger flows down then coil back up for example)?
My understanding of this is that the top of the coil in a RC should be the inlet (coldest), so that the coil is progressively hotter the lower you go. You want the coldest part of the coil at top, and the hottest side on the bottom. That way your liquid RC drops as warm as possible.

Otis
Looks like you want the incoming water to be at the coil. Then again looking through the posted link it doesn’t really seem to matter at all as long as you can keep vapor from escaping on your lightest reflux setting.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Yeah that's what is confusing. TB referenced that thread but what I found in it is the opposite of his advice.

I also remember a thread where someone had problems running their CCVM that was related to condenser flow but it may have been they were running RC->PC instead of PC->RC which seems to be the accepted route for a series setup.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I wouldn’t worry too much about flow direction. The point is that you’re sending vapor back down into the column to interact with the packing. Are you able to knock down all of the vapor going both ways with your water?

Edit: each rig runs differently. Experiment until you find what works best for your situation. :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

elbono wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:57 pm Yeah that's what is confusing. TB referenced that thread but what I found in it is the opposite of his advice.

I also remember a thread where someone had problems running their CCVM that was related to condenser flow but it may have been they were running RC->PC instead of PC->RC which seems to be the accepted route for a series setup.
I only started ordering parts to build my CCVM and I never used one before but I think that running both condensers in series is the worst idea. When I run my pot still the PC output goes to a coffin freezer (it's broken so it's more a coffin than a freezer I guess) and I could not leave my hand in the water for more than few seconds if I tried (call me a wuss but it's freaking hot!). I plan to bring cold water from the same line to each condenser inlets and bring back the hot output water in another line.

Like StoneCutter mentioned, what's important is that vapor does not escape by the Reflux Condenser port and like ThomasBrewer advised I would connect the cold water to the cold-finger first to bring the cold water as close to the battle front line as possible.

And again referencing Stone, you can try both an see what works best. Two pipe clamps should handle clamping/unclamping a couple times without issue.
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

OnceAlive wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:45 pm I think that running both condensers in series is the worst idea.
I've read a few discussions here on this subject. There is no "worst" unless you mean for you in your situation. There are plusses and minuses to both. I'm running series and want info on that. I really don't think it matters on my question (which end of the RC is in?) though.
Stonecutter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:17 pm I wouldn’t worry too much about flow direction. The point is that you’re sending vapor back down into the column to interact with the packing. Are you able to knock down all of the vapor going both ways with your water?
This affects the temperature of the reflux liquid (not vapor) going back to the packing. I made minor mods to the column and thus a second cleaning run. No issues with vapor escaping out the top with this condenser yet and I'm running way below the coolant flow I have available

I consider dad300's posts on the CCVM to be pearls of wisdom, I'm trying to not be swine. IIRC he ran condensers in series and thought the temp of condensate hitting the top of the packing very important.