Proof calculator or formula

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Robbiejames
Novice

Proof calculator or formula

Post by Robbiejames »

Hello,

I have a question about proofing using apple juice instead of water. Is there a calculator or formula to get a final proof? So let’s say the spirit is 145 proof and I want to proof it down to 100 proof using apple juice, how is that done? From my understanding I cannot use a hydrometer because of the sugars in the apple juice, right?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Proof calculator or formula

Post by Ben »

You just do the math to start with. Remember its ABV (alcohol by volume). So you use a calculator, based on your temperatures, volume of the spirit to be diluted and replace the volume of water with juice. Final output will still be the correct ABV (assuming you can measure original ABV, temp and volume accurately), its just the dilutant is part sugar.
:)
Robbiejames
Novice

Post by Robbiejames »

Ben wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 am You just do the math to start with. Remember its ABV (alcohol by volume). So you use a calculator, based on your temperatures, volume of the spirit to be diluted and replace the volume of water with juice. Final output will still be the correct ABV (assuming you can measure original ABV, temp and volume accurately), its just the dilutant is part sugar.
So basically I can use a dilution calculator but use the apple juice instead of water. If I’m understanding it correctly it seems easy enough
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

You got it!
Robbiejames
Novice

Post by Robbiejames »

Ben wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:12 pmYou got it!
Thank you
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Just an opinion: rather than proof to a specific abv, proof it to 5-10% higher than you think it needs, give it some rest time taste. Decide from there if it needs more or not. Or proof out a few samples in ~2% increments and give them all a chance to rest. All about the taste since we don't have to label stuff, you can find different flavors at different proofs... even in relatively mono-tone spirits. Things change batch to batch. ABV is just a number after all.