Paste question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Notsob17
Novice

Paste question

Post by Notsob17 »

I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but I have been thinking about it for quite a while. When i made my paste in the past I used some oats, with water and flour. I applied extremely liberally to all joints. Probably over applied, but I wanted to make sure I coated the joints 100%. When I collected product It was never appealing to me. The aroma and taste was always off. I feel like this is most likely due to my inexperience making cuts, but is it possible for the paste aroma to carry over into the product? Maybe both? Especially at the joints closest to the boiler where it cooks the paste slightly? The aroma was very similar between the two that is why I ask.

My inability to make anything appealing made me kind of give up on the hobby for several years. I have got the urge to start back recently and wanted to give it another shot, lol.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Paste question

Post by EricTheRed »

What recipe are you using?
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

When i paste, i use distillers biscuit; rye flour and a bit of water. Makes a hellova paste and don’t leak. Smells great, too. After a run it’s hard a hell. Busts right up.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I meant which recipe for your mash/wash? :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

100% flour has never left any bad taste. And many add oats to a grain bill. Some recipes, oats are the primary ingredient.

More likely bad cuts if you ask me. Far more knowledgeable people on here though.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'd need to know what your wash is, where the copper is in your still and your distilling protocol before I could start guessing what the problem is.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

And size matters! Hard to make cuts with a small still because you're hearts fraction is small. Doubt paste was your problem. Tell us your rig, and your recipe.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Seems unlikely. I use just pure flour with a bit of water, I started out applying it everywhere, and waaay more than was needed, have gotten it down to a pretty minimal amount. the contact area with your vapor should be quite low, or else you should look at re-soldering or addressing your build in another way.

Do you have a photo of your rig, and can you show us where on the rig that you apply your paste?
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Notsob17
Novice

Post by Notsob17 »

5214D72B-EB03-4D10-9232-B34E0CFFDB43.jpeg
9E6881C7-ACD6-4FA7-B9C7-AE6F9A677F5A.jpeg
Column is 24” tall
At the 90 deg turn it is 8”
Reduces to 1” pipe that is 8” long
Liebeg is 30 1/2”

I don’t remember seeing much vapor coming out of the joints,,,if any. I pasted alp of the joints, very liberally, just for safe measure…mainly to ease my nerves since i had just started. I mainly did Ujssm. I think it was most likely my cuts.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Cuts, or how you ran it.