Corn with only enzymes

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

plummerblue
Novice

Corn with only enzymes

Post by plummerblue »

Hey there. Beginner here. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, new on this forum but I couldn't find it in the search. Im looking for a corn with only enzymes recipe. Or a cracked corn recipe. I keep reading different temps and Im confused about the process. You don't have to type it out for me you can just give me a link I can do the rest. Thanks.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Corn with only enzymes

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:24 pm viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51458
That’s a good recipe. Just double check the temperatures recommended by your enzyme manufacturers and you are good to go.

Learning curve is pretty steep with corn. To say the least.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dancing4dan wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm
I didn't think so. My results have been pretty consistent.
Do your homework and corn isn't that hard with enzymes.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's video of pintoshine mashing corn with enzymes.
I do mashing similar, except I use steam and a Baine Marie for mashing and then stripping.

Last edited by shadylane on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Angel yeast is easiest possible way....
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:38 pm
Congratulations!
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Watch your pH. pH paper should be showing some pink when you add the SEBAmyl-GL.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:38 pm
With Deplorable on this. Only tip to Booners original is add enzymes early... add hot water say 1/4 of total, add 1/4 cornmeal. Stir till cement, add half alpha, stir till liquid. Continue water and meal. Do rest of enzyme per protocol.

Strange that you did not find Booners casual corn when you searched!?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

shadylane wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:06 pm Here's video of pintoshine mashing corn with enzymes.
I do mashing similar, except I use steam and a Baine Marie for mashing and then stripping.

There's a problem with this video. In order to get an accurate gravity reading you have to let some of the solids settle and pull some of the clear liquid off the top.
He takes gravity readings of liquid with solids still suspended in the water. His readings cannot be accurate, thus we dont really know ehat his cknversion efficiency really was. This video was considered the standard on this forum for so long, but no one has ever mentioned this. It's always bothered me.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Interesting approach Setsumi.
My approach is to add half of the boiling water to half the corn while stirring, then cover and wrap while I boil the other half of the water. Add these to the mash tun, while stirring to remove dough balls, cover, wrap and rest to 180F. Add the full dose of AHA, and cover. Stir every 15 to 30 minutes for 3 hours then let the temp fall to 140F and add my GA dosage. Stir, cover, wrap and rest 90 minutes and check conversion. Once converted crash the temp with a wort chiller, check OG and pitch yeast.
The variable seems to be in how fine I mill my corn. Too fine and I get a lot more custard, too course, and I get a lower OG. At 2# per gallon I get between 1.062 and 1.072.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm Interesting approach Setsumi.
My approach is to add half of the boiling water to half the corn while stirring, then cover and wrap while I boil the other half of the water. Add these to the mash tun, while stirring to remove dough balls, cover, wrap and rest to 180F. Add the full dose of AHA, and cover. Stir every 15 to 30 minutes for 3 hours then let the temp fall to 140F and add my GA dosage. Stir, cover, wrap and rest 90 minutes and check conversion. Once converted crash the temp with a wort chiller, check OG and pitch yeast.
The variable seems to be in how fine I mill my corn. Too fine and I get a lot more custard, too course, and I get a lower OG. At 2# per gallon I get between 1.062 and 1.072.
What temp is your strike water and what mash Temps are you achieving after all the boiling water is added?

You basically do exactly as I do. I use roughly 2.5 lbs of corn gound down to a coarse corn meal, per gallon of water. I hit exactly 190f and usually get about 1.065-1.68 OG. I cant help but feel like I am leaving some potential on the table.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I dont think you are leaving that much behind Hillbilly. I bring my water to a rolling boil in my still boiler. at my elevation that's about 210F. Adding 12 gallons of boiling water to 18 pounds of ambient temperature corn meal, by the time I've stirred out the dough balls with the mortar mixer, Im about 195(ish). that first mix is at about 185F by the time I add the 2nd round and Im back up over 190F. I wrap my 30 gallon HDPE drum in reflectix, and two wool blankets for the gel rest. If you mill finer, you can squeeze out a couple more points, at the cost of more finings in the mash you have to contend with. FWIW, my actual grain/water ratio on my three all corn ferments worked out to 2.0, 2.08, and 2.0 pounds per gallon when I looked back at my spreadsheets.
My whole kernel feed corn looks like this after one pass through the grist mill and a pass through the roller mill.
image.png
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

That about what I'm grinding to as well.

I have seen better numbers playing with adding magnesium and calcium ions. Supposwdly.they help the enzyme work better, but I dont really understand the science nor have a nailed down an exact amount or anything.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

What enzymes are you using and at what temperatures are you adding them?
Using Ferm Solutions, I add the AHA 400 1.6ml/gal at 180 to 185F, then I add the GA150 at .8ml/gal at 110F. Which I see now I made an error in my previous post where I stated 140. That was using Pinto's enzymes.
If you're using Ferm Solutions enzymes and adding the GA150 at 140F You might be denaturing a lot of your enzymes resulting in a lower yield.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I've been using the Sebstar and Sebamyl enzymes and DADY with very good results. When I ran out I decided to check into the Ferm Solutions enzymes. While there I explored their yeast options, placing an order for liter bottles of each enzyme, and 500g FS917 yeast. I just received them a few days ago.

Deplorable - didn't I see you mention that yeast in another topic? Have you used it?
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 pm What enzymes are you using and at what temperatures are you adding them?
Using Ferm Solutions, I add the AHA 400 1.6ml/gal at 180 to 185F, then I add the GA150 at .8ml/gal at 110F. Which I see now I made an error in my previous post where I stated 140. That was using Pinto's enzymes.
If you're using Ferm Solutions enzymes and adding the GA150 at 140F You might be denaturing a lot of your enzymes resulting in a lower yield.
Sebstar HTL and GL

I add HTL upon initial strike to make it easier to stir then add another dose around 180f. Then i add the GL at 120.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

higgins wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:25 pm I've been using the Sebstar and Sebamyl enzymes and DADY with very good results. When I ran out I decided to check into the Ferm Solutions enzymes. While there I explored their yeast options, placing an order for liter bottles of each enzyme, and 500g FS917 yeast. I just received them a few days ago.

Deplorable - didn't I see you mention that yeast in another topic? Have you used it?
I haven't, but Ive also seen that yeast mentioned here. All my ferments have been done with either bakers yeast, or SafAle products. Specifically US-05 and T-58. since I have yet to run the mash I used the T-58 on, the jury is still out. I am expecting good results though since I had such good control of my fermentation temperature and was able to maintain the ideal temp rage for the strain. Im looking for more pepper from my rye and some fruity esters. But that's another, unrelated topic.

Hillbilly, I'm at a loss. My corn is never hard to stir before it gels up. When I dough in the initial half of the grain and water, I start the water pouring into the barrel on top of about a quarter of the corn, then start mixing with the mortar mixer, with one hand while adding more corn with the other hand. by the time I have 18 pounds of corn in 12 gallons of water it's a thin slurry. When I uncover it to add the 2nd half, its thick porridge under about half an inch of water. Adding in the 2nd half makes the drill work to mix it well. Give it time to set up as a porridge again and dose it. It thins right out mixing from the top down with a wooden mash paddle. Even at 2.5#/gal you aren't getting bad numbers. It could just be your corn. Try making a mash with food grade corn meal and see if you get better results. I suggest Bob's Red Mill. If I could find it at a better price, and I didn't just restore my grist mill, I'd still be using it.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I was able to get 1.065 this weekend using a method similar to the video shady posted, thanks Shady. I preheat my water in my boiler to about 160. (I do this because it is electric and I don't mind leaving it unattended while doing other things as opposed to propane.) Put 10 gallon into my 16 gallon pot and add 16 ml Ferm solutions AHA 400. I then start adding corn, 20 lb, as I stir with the heat on the pot (propane burner). I stir for around thirty to 40 minutes as the temp comes from 150 up to 190. At 190F I cover the pot and walk away for an hour or two depending on which project I am working on. After 90 minutes the temp will fall to around 177. I add that to my barrel fermenter and start the next batch. I did three batches and all were consistent at 1.064 or 1.065. Corn was ground to the consistency shown in the photo above by Deplorable. When my barrel temp drops to about 145 I do add some Gluco enzyme and give it a half an hour before dropping in my wort chiller to get to pitching temp.

Using this method the corn never gets that thick. By the time it gets to 160 degrees it is getting shiny on top and if you taste it, the mix is getting sweet so conversion is starting. And it just gets looser as the temp continues to go up. It never gets thick to where I worry about scorching.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:57 pm What enzymes are you using and at what temperatures are you adding them?
Hey Deplorable, i use the same enzymes and i've been dropping the GA150 in about 130f°. If i remember i emailed the company and they said below 140° you should be pretty safe. Every time i've done it ive had 100lbs of corn to 50 gallon of water and hit 7% or so potential. One good thing about these enzymes is they will keep chomping away at starches while fermenting so might gain a few more points there too. This was all with a passive cook. I am working on a BIG pot to direct fire this same about this year. will see how it goes lol
Don't let your meat loaf.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thats good info. Waiting till 110 is a long wait. You've just shortened my mash day. :thumbup:
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

Reviving an OLD post here…

I have a half barrel boiler I built very similar to the one in the video, dill and paddle included. My fermentation barrel is 60 gallons and I would like to make full use of it but I have a temperature concern. Can I bring my kettle to 190, add the HT, hold for 90 minutes and then dump the contents into my fermenter and then continue to do several batches and add the GL to the whole barrel once it drops below 140? In concept it seems like a no brainer. I just wanted to ask before I make a silly mistake.
Maintain a continuous ground at all times!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Seems logical to me.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Gonzo_distills wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:00 pm Reviving an OLD post here…

I have a half barrel boiler I built very similar to the one in the video, dill and paddle included. My fermentation barrel is 60 gallons and I would like to make full use of it but I have a temperature concern. Can I bring my kettle to 190, add the HT, hold for 90 minutes and then dump the contents into my fermenter and then continue to do several batches and add the GL to the whole barrel once it drops below 140? In concept it seems like a no brainer. I just wanted to ask before I make a silly mistake.
it seems there are a number of different HT enzymes from various company's.
my manufacturers instructions are different from other brands mentioned on here, so i would say, get the manufacturers instructions and follow them.
for instance, mine says add all the corn and enzyme at max 122F (50C) , take it to 194F (90C) for 30-60 mins, then i cool it to the temp i need for the next step.
i mill my corn as fine as Deplorable, the wash is always very thin.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

pretty much what I do. I have a 16 pot. I add 10 gal water, heat to about 140, start the paint mixer, add HT enzyme and 20 lb corn. Continue to mix until 190F. Cover and put a blanket over it. Couple of hours later it will be down to about 178 or 180F. Dump that batch into the barrel and start the next. Do 3 corn mashes and one malted barley that way only don't heat the barley that high. Then use an immersion chiller to bring temp down to 140, add low temp enzyme and leave for an hour before dropping temp to pitching temp
Gonzo_distills
Novice

Post by Gonzo_distills »

subbrew wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:01 am

pretty much what I do. I have a 16 pot. I add 10 gal water, heat to about 140, start the paint mixer, add HT enzyme and 20 lb corn. Continue to mix until 190F. Cover and put a blanket over it. Couple of hours later it will be down to about 178 or 180F. Dump that batch into the barrel and start the next. Do 3 corn mashes and one malted barley that way only don't heat the barley that high. Then use an immersion chiller to bring temp down to 140, add low temp enzyme and leave for an hour before dropping temp to pitching temp
That’s exactly what I expected but I appreciate the affirmation. I am going straight corn this run for possibly blending into some rye I am barreling. I thought I wanted straight rye but the flavors are so complex I have decided to do a barrel of straight corn to blend with later if I decide my rye whiskey needs it.

Lucky me I have some cornmeal I grew, dried and took to the mill a couple years ago that has been stored in a freezer. Thinking about planting an acre of something really flavorful this year instead of straight heirloom dent corn.
Maintain a continuous ground at all times!