Proof for redistillation

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dr_datto
Novice

Proof for redistillation

Post by Dr_datto »

Howdy!
When making vodka, is it better to redistill at a higher proof ≈30% and have higher proof come out or at a lower percent ≈10% and have more cuts? I know that it depends on the impurities and whether they are in the ethanol or the water. Is there some common knowledge on this, or is it better to play around?

Thanks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Proof for redistillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Stopping the low wines collection at 40%ABV will leave the tails in the boiler. Then, when you make cuts on the spirit run, making a wide heads cut will eliminate the heads leaving you with a cleaner neutral. Oh, plus it is best to use reflux during the spirit run. If you really want a very clean product, add a 3rd distillation to your protocol.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For a flavorsome vodka fermented using grains or bran, I would strip until the total low wines collection reached 40%, then spirit run into twenty or more jars, then choose a blend that I liked from those jars.
Dr_datto
Novice

Post by Dr_datto »

When you proof down for the 3rd distillation is it better to try to keep it close to 30% or lower?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

40%ABV.

Less water results in higher purity off the spout. Lower low wines collection proof results in more flavor at the spout.

But I don’t dilute the low wines or high wines with water. It’s wasting time and energy because the purpose of distillation is to separate alcohol from water. Adding water is “backtracking”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

That's interesting SS: I would have thought in the case of a vodka, water is the only thing you would have diluted low wines with.... atleast to get the boiler load to 40%. Perhaps I am running into a distinction between vodka and a neutral. Is that the case?
-- Rrmuf
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

SS, are you saying you stop your collection when you're at 40% off the spout or 40% for total low wines? I feel like by the time I'm at 40% total low wines I could be pulling tails, maybe depending on the original recipe.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe it is a balance between yield in alcohol, purity, type of product that I want to get ... as mentioned by the others stop first you will keep most of the most "heavy" flavors in the boiler, but I must add that I often do small lots and are Down dropped lower (about 30ABV of low wines) I get a very clean product anyway (performed with reflux naturally) as long as you drive your equipment right.