Is the basic Vevor 5 gal still useable?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Banditjuice
Novice

Is the basic Vevor 5 gal still useable?

Post by Banditjuice »

Hey,

So I am a newbie, and am naturally doing a bit due diligence before attempting anything.

Having been slightly overeager and already bought the vevor 5gal 2 pot still, I've now realised it doesn't have a great reputation on here.

However, opinions seem to vary from, terribly dangerous pot of death, send it back it's not fit for purpose, to decent enough to learn the basics of the craft and see if its worth investing in.

Again having searched a fair bit, I can't seem to find a consensus.

I would like to use it to get a few runs under my belt, but am happy to send it back if it is going to be a non starter.

I was looking at doing buccaneer bob's rum recipe.

Any help/advice one way or another would be massively appreciated!

Here is a picture of the pot if you're not familiar.
Pot Still.jpg
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Re: Is the basic Vevor 5 gal still useable?

Post by Broken Jug »

I would send it back, and use the money towards a good still.

Moonshine Distiller’s and Mile Hi Distilling sell some good products, good place to start.

I would go with a minimum of 8 gallons.

Good luck!

You came to the right place for advice.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

That pot uses an “ill-advised” silicone seal around the lid to pot joint. Silicone is not recommended for this utility on our website. But you can wrap the pot’s lip with PTFE plumber’s tape instead and it will work.

Another thing to consider with that “worm and flake” design is it is located above the boiler, which will be hot. So, you’ll be transfering heat from the boiler to the condenser directly by conduction. This reduces efficiency and will waste cooling water for you. Not insurmountable, but wasteful.

Also, the vapor tube looks like it’s 3/8” soft copper tubing and that can become a problem if you run a “foamy” wash, like rum! It can easily puke up into the tubing wich can (potentially) plug the small diameter vapor tubing. This could be (potentially) dangerous, so that design is not received favorably here.

Finally, while the 5 gallon boiler sounds big enough for a “starter”, it is not a big vessel to charge for a new hobbiest because the production potential will be small and learning cuts from a small producer is more challenging (not impossible, but challenging). But considering the double distillation protocol, ie - strip + spirit run process, you can collect enough low wines to make good cuts on the spirit run. So plan for a big fermenter, enough to charge the boiler 3 or 4 times.

And don’t get too interested in that fancy thermometer. It will confuse you and cause you to try to control the boiler by temperature. That’s a mistake that new hobbiests commonly make. It won’t work like you “think” it will, so don’t try to do that.

Good luck and keep reading. You got what you got, so learn to make the best of it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

If you look into how to build a Liebig product cooler and have half the skills to do it then send it back. Get a beer keg and go from there.

If you rather keep it, follow SS advice and keep looking for the beer keg.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Banditjuice wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:11 am
I would like to use it to get a few runs under my belt, but am happy to send it back if it is going to be a non starter.
It's pretty clear this design suffers from operational, safety and efficiency challenges. Whatever limited distilling you might learn on it will prove drastically inferior to what a competent still will produce and not worth the time, IMO.

Send it back and let the exercise in patience help define your approach to this most rewarding hobby. And by all means, look at what other members are running to get an idea of a real working tool that will produce a spirit you'd like to drink. Don't feel bad: even the expensive Chinesium 'Dual Purpose Pro' stills sold through the distilling shops have challenges that the determined distiller learns does not produce as promised.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Banditjuice
Novice

Post by Banditjuice »

Amazing, Thankyou all so much for your responses.

I think I’m going to return it and look at other stills!
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I started with one of those and don't really regret it, but I agree with the above advice. If you can return it, do!

I replaced most of the silicone because it wouldn't seal, farted around getting better control on the worm, reasonably accurate thermometers, etc, etc. I did learn a lot including finding this place. I also spent more money than if I had just put it together right myself.

Kegs can be had various places.for $50 or less.
The simplest build I can imagine would be that plus triclamp spools and fittings with a csst product condenser. No skill involved more than finding parts that fit each other on Amazon. The pieces and parts should add up to around $200 or less.

Since I like building stuff I bought ferrules and copper pipe plus fittings and learned to solder stainless to copper. If you're a tool guy this hobby is an excellent excuse to get some more. Lots of rabbit holes to go down.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

usable yes, will it make "good" product not really. there are much better ways.

it is good that you are doing due diligence, late but not to late, send it back.

the design purpose of that still is to get your money, and fool the uninitiated.

they got your money, mission accomplished. Its good you still have options.

keep up the research, you will find what suits you.
be water my friend
ZeroTrousers
Novice

Post by ZeroTrousers »

Setsumi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:32 am If you look into how to build a Liebig product cooler and have half the skills to do it then send it back. Get a beer keg and go from there.

If you rather keep it, follow SS advice and keep looking for the beer keg.
I'm gonna add onto this;

A Liebig condenser is stupid easy to build, it's an easy first time soldering project that can be done on a benchtop, and its way cheaper in the long run to build to a pot you can buy locally than to order in cheap Amazon junk.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The silicone boiler seal is bad enough , but they supply some shitty soft silicone seals for the connecting tubes as well . These have barely a 4-5mm hole in them . Its a serious blockage point especially if you want to run a grain mash in it .

Is it useable ? Sure if you want to distill water .
Might even get away a sugar wash if you don’t mind a bit of Chinese silicone in your Booze .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

These things and all like them should really be banned from sale, they are what you pay for,,,cheap Chinese shit. Far to many newbies are being ripped of by buying these crappy stills.
The sad part is , that if you look around the net at some of the distilling sites where folk don't really have much idea about distilling and don't care what they run or drink, these stills are being talked about as if they are the best thing since sliced bread.
The other crazy part is that in many cases you could build a nice little potty that functioned properly for less cost.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

I had one similar. I hated it. I immediately had to rebuild the condenser as the flake stand was poorly designed and not level.

You can see pictures in the "my rigs" thread in my signature.

I definitely recommend getting your own pot or a keg and building your own. It has the added advantage of letting you customize what you want based on how you want to run it.
robe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robe »

I have to admit I have had the 8 gal model of this still. I guess I have been lucky so far with it. My mashes so far have been the Thin Mash Kentucky style recipes. 1lb corn and 1 lb sugar plus malted barley per gallon of water. One run only about 55% just use the heads, the rest goes back in the next run. Now that I understand a bit more of how things should be, many thanks to this site and all it's contributors, I would like to build a proper column rather than the cheesy narrow pipe that is used. A question if I may, What should I use to seal the lid? The gasket provided works ok but I would like to replace it with something better. Thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

robe wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:54 pm… a question if I may, What should I use to seal the lid? The gasket provided works ok but I would like to replace it with something better…
Look at my first comment in this thread for the answer to your question. Help yourself.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
robe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robe »

Thanks still_stirrin. I have put a 3/8 thick piece of cork under the condenser pot to help with the heat off the lid. I am using a 5 gal bucket with jugs of ice and an aquarium pump. This works ok but I have to change it half way through a run as it heats up quickly. I have some copper pipe scraps so I'll build a proper column and make a decent rig out of it. As they say, "You bought it you got it."
I run only clearish wash in the thing but the idea of plugging up the arm has me concerned.
RookieRecurve
Novice

Post by RookieRecurve »

I have the 5 gallon. I ran a batch of wine through it, and ended up with a pretty decent brandy. As other's cautioned, the silicone gasket is an item of concern. Personally, it is of low concern to me, but doing it better is definitely the right thing to do. My main concern with this was the tiny outlet. I upgraded mine shortly after ownership by cutting a hole in the lid, installing a 1.5" weldless tri-clamp fitting, and then adding a strainer and sight-glass. Next, I fabricated a nice little Liebig condenser. The pot that comes with this setup is adequate for cooling; I just did not like having to control the level all the time. To me, this was a nice stainless pot with a secure lid. It is an excellent jumping off point in that regard. I could not find a stainless pot to modify for the price of this, so I absolutely do not regret my purchase. In its stock configuration, it's not good. With some modifications, I am quite happy. Using common sense, caution, and hazard identification, this still can be used safely, and produce a respectable product.
RookieRecurve
Novice

Post by RookieRecurve »

Still.jpg
Here is my 5 gallon Vevor with mods.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

So all that is really left is the Vevor boiler ?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:26 pm So all that is really left is the Vevor boiler ?
Kept the best bit Salty .
Glad you modified it Rookie . Seems you have quite adiquate build skills … onward and upward . :thumbup:

Now ,time for a Keg boiler and a bigger Pot head and keep the Vevor fir Gin
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’d say that you should run it like you stole it and mod it with a riser/liebig as you learn more - your time won’t be wasted. When you eventually get a keg or even 15g milkcan boiler you’ll find that a 15g strip can produce enough low wines to fill the 5g boiler - maybe with some top up wort.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

The only part of my amazon still I've used since I got some copper and staybrite is the "boiler". It is pretty good for cooking mash.

I need to look up some gin recipes and see if I can use it for that!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
robe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robe »

RookieRecurve wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:18 pm Still.jpg

Here is my 5 gallon Vevor with mods.
I like what you have done with the stainless rigging. You said you found those parts on Amazon? I have been thinking of how to make something easily removable for cleaning and to still use the pot for starting a mash. Thanks.
robe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robe »

Just got back from Amazon.ca. God! I'm like an old crow, look at all those shiny bits! Problem solved, nothing a few bucks won't fix.
robe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robe »

Hi, an update to finding parts to make this happen if anyone cares. Hope I'm not breaking the rules by shilling too much.
Amz has marked up parts from Ali in China. Ended up ordering a few things directly from our favorite manufactures. Found a weldless bulkhead fitting with a longer neck than Amz. Going to use that in the lid of my pot. The one they have is too close for the tri-clamp to tighten and at half the price. Also got a 3in to 1in copper reducer for 25. Going to reduce it down to 1/2 with some street els if I can find them. The only other outfit that had one was a distilling supply in the US for 50 plus 50 to ship to Canada in US funds. Next, a 3in tri clamp ferrule, sweat to 3in DMV copper pipe, no one else had such a thing, so our people came up with it for 40.
The reason I am using 3in copper pipe is that is all I have. Forgot I sold all my copper scrap a while back but didn't part with the 3in dmv copper pipe. So the show will be built around this.
Found an outfit out of Quebec that manufactures stainless parts. Got a 2 to 3 reducer and beautiful heavy duty tri-clamps with Teflon gaskets all very reasonable but shipping was steep. 105 all in.
This choice was to ultimately fit a keg, looking at a used 50l out of Vancouver for about 150 with shipping.
This will be attached to a liebig condenser build to the specs from this site. A 3ft piece of 3/4 plus a 6ft peice of 1/2 and 2 @ 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 and some flux was 75 from homey despot. Wow.
There is is. Any comments would be welcome especially the height of the column. Thanks.