UJSSM grain smells acidic/vinegary

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BrutalNoodle22
Novice

UJSSM grain smells acidic/vinegary

Post by BrutalNoodle22 »

Hello,

I am on my 7th generation of UJSSM and just ran the 6th generation which to me, does not taste taste vinegary. While getting ready to add the backset, I did notice a strong acidic/vinegary smell but I cannot distinguish between the two.

My question is, should I proceed with fermenting this run or start over? My girlfriend thinks it smells like old beer while my brother thinks it smells like vinegar. I am somewhere in the middle - go figure. lol

I' assuming since the 6th did not taste vinegary to me I should proceed as normal. Please let me know if there are other factors I am not considering.

Thank you,

Brutal Noodle!!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: UJSSM grain smells acidic/vinegary

Post by SmokyMtn »

Taste and smell change with every subsequent generation. Less backset is needed to "sour" with each generation as well.

Two choices- run another ferment. Or toss it and start over. It's only sugar being gambled.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Ujssm often has a vinegar smell to me but it's the souring I think. I'd try and ferment it.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As above , dont confuse sour/tart with vinegary.......my guess is it will be fine.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

One of it's esters is ethyl acetate, (smells like nail varnish), which you will remove a lot of if you remove a foreshot when stripping and when you do the heads cut.

There are tricks that limit vinegar production in the method but, it is 'sour mash' so eliminating it altogether would be a mistake.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Do another run of it either way. You will either learn its good, or learn its bad. 50/50 to get something good, 100% to learn a limit.
:)