Can you add more cereal or grains to boiler when distilling?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AppleWood50
Bootlegger

Can you add more cereal or grains to boiler when distilling?

Post by AppleWood50 »

So let's say you make a 5g cornflake sugar shine with 750g cornflakes.

After fermenting you run the wash through a BIAB and remove all the cornflakes and yeast.

Could you then add the wash to the still boiler and add more cornflakes directly to the still boiler? Then distill with the new cornflakes in the boiler.

This would effectively allow for the removal of the yeast before running the wash.

I'm curious if this can be done and if it will yield similar flavours compared to running a mash on grain straight from the fermenting bucket.

We add botanicals to gin and distill with them in the boiler. So why couldn't we add grains or cereal directly to the boiler and achieve similar results?

Just a wild one for you all. Had the idea today and not sure if it would work or not.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Can you add more cereal or grains to boiler when distilling?

Post by subbrew »

How are you heating the boiler? Would this lead to scorching issues?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Suppose you could if. But that seems like a recipe for a scorched element and a difficult clean up. Why not throw in some specialized corn into the mash instead? IE bloody butcher, Johnny red, etc.

What end result are you after?
:)
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

I wouldn't bother.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Bee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:22 am I wouldn't bother.
You could probably add to a thumper.
And it seems logical that that would add to the flavour...

Geoff
The Baker
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

You can easily make a pact not to burn the cereals ... if there is enough liquid and you prevent the cereals from getting stuck in the heating element. I don't use corflakes but only unprocessed cereals, I can't say about the contribution of the flavor but I think it's poor ...
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’d be wary of a potential puke and plug . I’ve had god awful messes on the stove when been boiling weetbix and cereals for some washes .
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:42 pm I’d be wary of a potential puke and plug . I’ve had god awful messes on the stove when been boiling weetbix and cereals for some washes .
I’m with you yummyrum. A layer of protein foam could form pretty easily and lead to a puke. Couple that with the bits of cereal grains bouncing around and you’ve got a plug along with it. Also the potential for scorching mentioned above.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

AppleWood50 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:37 am After fermenting you run the wash through a BIAB and remove all the cornflakes and yeast.
Since nobody else pointed this out, a BIAB definitely doesn't remove the yeast, but you probably don't need to worry about that. Yeast in the boiler isn't a big concern.

If you want grains in the boiler some (with more experience than I) say you can stir during heat-up and once things are cooking the convection currents will keep things moving enough not to scorch but that seems like roulette to me.

Ideal is jacketed or steam injection to avoid direct heat contact, but that involves acquiring more kit.

Workarounds are a thumper (which is essentially a steam injection still), possibly a false bottom to keep chunks off your heating element, or even suspending grains in a BIAB or metal basket in the still higher than the elements (if materials are appropriate). I've seen big baskets for beer brewing that sit right into a boiler, but unless your still has straight sides and a wide opening you will probably be limited.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

TwoSheds
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

TwoSheds wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:53 am I've seen big baskets for beer brewing that sit right into a boiler, but unless your still has straight sides and a wide opening you will probably be limited.
Like a SS hop spider?
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

That would work if the grains fit. I’ve seen them (Still It on YouTube I think) that are almost as big as the kettle and have stand-offs to get you up above the element. Some of the hop spiders seem pretty big too though.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I agree with those above who said that putting more grains in the boiler or thumper is a very bad idea.

I added more grains to my thumper once. The grains cooked into a heavy and solid cake inside the thumper during the run. I only had a 2” hole in that thumper and once everything cooled it took more than an hour with a stick to break up the cake into small enough pieces to clean things out. Solid chunks in the thumper is a big risk for clogging. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels