Volatile Reaction Using Washing Soda

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

squigglefunk
Trainee

Re: Volatile Reaction Using Washing Soda

Post by squigglefunk »

Avalir wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am Should be getting a nice 60L stainless milk can and a 2" bulkhead to fit it with so I can continue to utilize my columns and condensers. Goodbye 5 gallon capacity and questionable Chinese manufactured alloys. It may take a little while to get everything together, but I fully plan to revisit the washing soda on my new rig once I get a stockpile of heads and/or feints saved up. I'm sure it'll go better this time around and I'll try to remember to report back... I should also probably get some 30+ gallon fermentation barrels if I'm making that kind of jump in still size.
just saying, the 60L milk can is probably made in china... confirm at least 304 stainless steel, some of the cheaper milk cans are not.
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 am
Avalir wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am Should be getting a nice 60L stainless milk can and a 2" bulkhead to fit it with so I can continue to utilize my columns and condensers. Goodbye 5 gallon capacity and questionable Chinese manufactured alloys. It may take a little while to get everything together, but I fully plan to revisit the washing soda on my new rig once I get a stockpile of heads and/or feints saved up. I'm sure it'll go better this time around and I'll try to remember to report back... I should also probably get some 30+ gallon fermentation barrels if I'm making that kind of jump in still size.
just saying, the 60L milk can is probably made in china... confirm at least 304 stainless steel, some of the cheaper milk cans are not.
I did. Ended up getting from an American manufacturer/supplier that advises it to be 304 stainless. Whether they important materials from China or overseas, I couldn't say since they didn't state where they source materials from (so probably China). I'm at least hopeful that since it's coming from an American supplier, that the statement about the material being 304 stainless is accurate. I'm not an expert on international or foreign trade and don't know what checks there are after importing, if any, aside from what did the source state it was per their local standards/regulations.
"I am a man. And I can change. If I want to. I guess." ~Red Green
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

So after a long 4 month due to supply chain issues, I finally got my new larger, more sturdily built, American made boiler. I think I'd need to toss this new bad boy off the roof or assault it with a hammer to damage it. Even running my cleaning runs through the pot still setup, there were clean differences in performance.
I'm now leaning towards due to the cheap nature of the previous one, either the seal began deteriorating over time or possibly even virtually undetectable warping of the material itself seeing that I couldn't locate a leak during my pot still runs (99%+ of my usage) but had issues with my plated column--I speculate the little added pressure allowed it to show itself. Unsure if there still may have been concerns with material impurity/quality just going on memories of how the fluid looked and behaved after adding washing soda.
I'm a little hesitant on trying it again in the new boiler due to the experience, but will definitely give an update if and/or when I do just to confirm my suspicion that it was caused by an inferior cheap Chinese build, whether durability and/or fraudulently advertised material.

Finally back to distilling, so I can't wait to see the quality and fraction separation difference between the old 5 gallon and new 15 gallon. Also new 55 gallon fermenter (brute), so I have enough volume for on the grain fermenting. Good times ahead for sure.
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

P.S. The old still was essentially a dragon still knockoff for half or maybe a third the price of an actual dragon, so I'm pretty confident the seller receives their inventory from a chinese manufacturer.
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

I suppose also as an experiment I could toss some washing soda in the new boiler with water and again with some leftover foreshots just to observe its behavior. Would definitely ease my mind about trying it again with a full charge before I waste another batch or something goes wrong. I'll post an update if I do.