Some info on a still design and use of induction cookers

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AppleWood50
Bootlegger

Some info on a still design and use of induction cookers

Post by AppleWood50 »

So I noticed this still online and I thought it looked fairly nice. It's 18l In capacity so not huge but more than large enough for hobby level.

I know what a reflux still looks like. I know what a pot still looks like. And I know how they both operate. But this still is a little different.

It has 2 tanks on the riser pipe which they claim are sedimentation tanks with valves. What are these? How does this work? Just looking for some general information about the type of still this is and how it works. I've attached a image.

https://browin.com/shop/product/340018/ ... 2-settlers

Also how do people here feel about Induction hobs as a heat source? I've done some research and past threads indicate it's a mixed batch of answers. My induction hot plate is 2kw and it does not cycle whatsoever when it's run on 900+ and above. It cycles insanely on 700w and below. My one makes a distinct sound when it cycles so I can definitely confirm that it does not cycle above 900w. Providing it doesn't cycle, do you see any harm in using this as a heat source?

Thanks
stainless-steel-18l-distiller-2-settlers-340018.jpg
stainless-steel-18l-distiller-2-settlers-340018.jpg
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Some info on a still design and use of induction cookers

Post by Salt Must Flow »

They probably catch anything that pukes and allows you to drain them using those valves.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I've never used an induction plate, but it should work for stripping runs and it helps if it is stable. My concern would be how it would work for spirit runs where you want fine control to turn it way down. If it isn't stable, that doesn't sound good. You could install an internal element to this boiler easy enough, but you would need a controller to operate it.
IAmPistolPete
Novice

Post by IAmPistolPete »

You will likely have trouble with fine control of the wattage of the induction unit. Also keep in mind that the diameter or bottom's profile of the pot vs induction surface area may cause problems as well as the weight of the pot on a full charge. I used one a few years ago on a 5G pot & ditched it after a few tries. It would constantly either overheat or error out for various reasons. It was just too frustrating.
Essentially it may work, but it may not work well unless you're doing small batches.
If you ever find yourself being chased by a pack of wild taxidermists, do not play dead.
AppleWood50
Bootlegger

Post by AppleWood50 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:39 am They probably catch anything that pukes and allows you to drain them using those valves.
Interesting. So in theory they are not really much use. Well id be using the still for spirit runs only if I purchased it. And spirit runs don't exactly puke. Well not if they are done properly with enough head space. Plus if you did release the valves during puke it would release noxious fumes. And by the time you even knew the still had puked it would have had to bypass the puke traps anyways. Because the traps don't have sight glasses.
AppleWood50
Bootlegger

Post by AppleWood50 »

IAmPistolPete wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 am You will likely have trouble with fine control of the wattage of the induction unit. Also keep in mind that the diameter or bottom's profile of the pot vs induction surface area may cause problems as well as the weight of the pot on a full charge. I used one a few years ago on a 5G pot & ditched it after a few tries. It would constantly either overheat or error out for various reasons. It was just too frustrating.
Essentially it may work, but it may not work well unless you're doing small batches.
I mean right now I have a 35l digiboil with a 22 inch 2 inch copper shotgun condenser. I use this only for stripping runs and I run it on 2600w with a 20 litre charge. Gets through the wash stupidly quickly but the problem is that I find small amounts of copper particles in my finished distillate. This is why I'm not comfortable using this setup for my spirit runs.

So right now I'm running my little air still for my spirit runs. Meaning I run my spirit runs on 320w with no control and honestly I get good results. I've been using the little air still for so long now that I've fine tuned absolutely everything on it.

So I was thinking I could get the little 18l still shown on the first post here. Use an induction hot plate on 900w for 12l spirit runs.

That would essentially be the same as I do in my little air still right now just with a bigger boiler.

4l spirit run 320w to 12l spirit run 900w ?

Honestly the induction hob is very stable on 900w and above. It's ridiculously glitchy and cycles like mad on less than 900w. But I couldn't see myself using less than 900w on a 12l spirit run anyways.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I used an induction burner and discovered the same thing you already did. Above about half power control was great. Lower powers cycled on and off. I've moved on to an open element hot plate and temp controller for my small still and am happy with that. Heat control on the lower end is pretty critical for spirit runs.

That still is... interesting... Hard to tell if those are mini-thumpers or puke traps or what but I suspect they'd be tough to clean. I'm sure with some TLC you can get some good stuff out of it. Hard to tell if the condenser is sufficient but you can always just run slower.

Good luck!
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

The advantage of using induction for cooking is that you heat only the vessel and don't get as much waste as heated air. A boiler with an internal element has all of the same efficiencies and better control (with the right controller).
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:39 am They probably catch anything that pukes and allows you to drain them using those valves.
I've also seen them called " purifiers "
They seemed to pop up on those particular stills a few years ago.
There is discussion elsewhere on the forum about them.
I've not seen any evidence that they do anything usefull.
I think they are there as a marketing tool to catch the unaware buyer........not so much to catch puke.
Contact the seller for more details and see what story they come up with.
Those stills also seem to have a very thin riser from the boiler which could block very easily....not good as a safety issue..
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:38 am
I've also seen them called " purifiers "
They seemed to pop up on those particular stills a few years ago.
There is discussion elsewhere on the forum about them.
I've not seen any evidence that they do anything usefull.
I think they are there as a marketing tool to catch the unaware buyer........not so much to catch puke.
Contact the seller for more details and see what story they come up with.
Those stills also seem to have a very thin riser from the boiler which could block very easily....not good from as a safety issue..
Their product listing refers to them as "sedimentation tanks" :lol:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

They are a thing that exist on some pot stills in Scotland where they are in fact called purifiers. Based on that alone I certainly wouldn't reject them out of hand, though I must admit a bit of skepticism of their utility as shown. I am a proponent for large headspace, large caps/helmets/onions, large/tall risers, etc specifically to reduce entrainment in pot stills, so they may actually be useful for accomplishing similar effects in a smaller footprint.

I'm pretty sure one of our Russian friends has said they are somewhat common on small stills over there. Perhaps it was VLAGAVULIN (IDK how to link or tag a username)?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Those are not Purifiers, Purifiers have a return line to the boiler, see links below.
https://islaywhiskyacademy.scot/scotchs ... purifiers/
http://www.daveswhiskyreviews.com/2017/ ... d-non.html
The objects hanging from the still at the beginning of this thread are more common in Russia because someone wishing to "market " cheap stills thought it would be a good selling point, as far as I know those stills are manufactured or at least marketed heavily in Russia.
I have not delved into that bit to any great degree, but seem to remember reading/ seeing it somewhere.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Slobber boxes.
That is to say,,mini slobber boxes.

A legit thumper can accomplish the same thing while providing a boost in proof.

They may be somewhat useful.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Applewood50 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 am I have a 35l digiboil with a 22 inch 2 inch copper shotgun condenser. I use this only for stripping runs and I run it on 2600w with a 20 litre charge. Gets through the wash stupidly quickly but the problem is that I find small amounts of copper particles in my finished distillate. This is why I'm not comfortable using this setup for my spirit runs.
Why are you getting copper particles? Are you sure its copper? Something is wrong there... I also use a 35L Digiboil and copper shotgun - no copper particles. Was your still cleaned properly before you started using it?
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Plus one here
Have you done a citric soak since the issue occurred? Possibly cleaning run wasn't sufficient? Home made or purchased?

Work out how to control the power to your digiboil, what you picture is a waste of $$ and inferior to what you have already, money better spent on a keg or larger boiler
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

LWTCS wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:49 pm Slobber boxes.
That is to say,,mini slobber boxes.
Exactly my thought Larry ....small and would both be full in seconds if a puke happened.