Interesting stratification

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Interesting stratification

Post by Metalking00 »

I was stripping a batch of wheated bourbon today and i ran out of 5l bottles so i switched to 2l. The 5l ones became homogenously cloudy by the end. This 2l bottle was from the first half of a run. Thought it was interesting so i figured id share. The darker specks appear to be oil or something like it. I may try the felt-in-funnel setup the next time i make this recipe.
20220528_230720.jpg
20220528_230744.jpg
With a gentle swirl it would wobble around and have the look of a disturbed halocline or thermocline.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Interesting stratification

Post by Deplorable »

What's the harm of just leaving the oils alone in the LWs? They aren't going to carry over in the spirit run. Is there a reason to justify the felt in the funnel other than the unappealing look of the oils in the low wines?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I have no problem with the oils themselves, just think itd make cleaning the bottle a little easier afterwards
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Likely.
I strip into 6 gallon SS stock pot, or 5 gallon corney kegs for this reason.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Metalking00 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:49 am I have no problem with the oils themselves, just think itd make cleaning the bottle a little easier afterwards
Looking at the bottle in the photo, I’d suppose “cleanliness” of the bottle hasn’t been too much of a concern for you!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

It was clean when i started.. maybe its my paws that are dirtying everything up!
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Metalking00 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:13 am I was stripping a batch of wheated bourbon today and i ran out of 5l bottles so i switched to 2l. The 5l ones became homogenously cloudy by the end. This 2l bottle was from the first half of a run. Thought it was interesting so i figured id share.

Interesting or confusing ...

You started a batch and ran out of 5L so switched to 2L but the 5L were cloudy at the end and the 2L was from the first half ?

The timeline is confusing. Can you explain what you saw and when you saw it ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I did 3 stripping runs. The first two went into 5L bottles. The third stripping run went into 3 2L bottles. This bottle is the first 2L bottle of the third strilping run.