Corn Mash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JB_12
Novice

Corn Mash

Post by JB_12 »

Have tried a few different ways to separate out liquid from corn mash. I’ve read the posts here regarding the subject and almost all ways seem like a pain in the rear. So my next attempt is the following:

30 lb flaked corn
8 gallons boiling filtered water, cook at 190F x30 minutes
Add ~2 gallons of 34F filtered water to bring temp down to 155F
Add enzymes, let rest 60-90 minutes
Add whole mash to 8 gallons of 34F filtered water in fermenter to (hopefully) bring down to yeast pitching temps, pitch yeast
Ferment on grain
At the end of fermentation do a nice cold crash around 34F for up to a week
Rack liquid off into still and run it

I have a 23 gallon stainless steel conical fermenter in a fitted upright freezer with an inkbird external thermostat regulator. I can use this (sanitized) to prep the chill water as well as use it to ferment.

My question really is: do you foresee any issues with this plan? Will flaked corn compact enough on the bottom of the fermenter to be able to more easily lauter off liquid post-fermentation? I have an electric pot still so do not want to distill on grain.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Corn Mash

Post by Demy »

Yes, in general after fermentation it will be less viscous, and fermentation on the grain increases the flavor. You may have an (internal) filter in the fermenter tap so you can take the clean liquid from above and then drain the last few liters from the tap. If, on the other hand, you want to separate the solids after the mash you must necessarily have some grains with the skin in the mash (barley, oats, rice husks, etc.)
JB_12
Novice

Post by JB_12 »

Demy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 pm Yes, in general after fermentation it will be less viscous, and fermentation on the grain increases the flavor. You may have an (internal) filter in the fermenter tap so you can take the clean liquid from above and then drain the last few liters from the tap. If, on the other hand, you want to separate the solids after the mash you must necessarily have some grains with the skin in the mash (barley, oats, rice husks, etc.)
I have a 21 gallon mash tun with false bottom. I could try to put 2-3 lb of rice hulls on bottom and pour the converted corn mash (pre-fermentation immediately after sacharrification rest) on top to filter liquid out. Tried this before on my first attempt and it didn’t work (stuck sparge) but I also failed to hydrolyze the flaked corn on that attempt and I think I floated the rice hull bed so it lost its efficacy.

All I do know is that squeezing hot BIAB full of flaked corn is awful.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

You need a course BIAB to do corn. My corn bag is 800 microns. This helps a lot. The guy at Brewinabag.com can make these for you. Normal BIAB is 200 microns if I remember correctly.

Flaked corn fermented on grain BIAB is my favorite. The use of yellow label yeast REALLY improved the process. There is very little corn left to strain after ferment. Seems to really chew through the flaked corn.

16 gallon ferment with 25 pounds of flaked corn has only has only about a volley ball size wad of corn after ferment. Pull the bag, squeeze, let clear with cold crash, rack off the cleared wash and do a stripping run.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
JB_12
Novice

Post by JB_12 »

Dancing4dan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:45 am You need a course BIAB to do corn. My corn bag is 800 microns. This helps a lot. The guy at Brewinabag.com can make these for you. Normal BIAB is 200 microns if I remember correctly.

Flaked corn fermented on grain BIAB is my favorite. The use of yellow label yeast REALLY improved the process. There is very little corn left to strain after ferment. Seems to really chew through the flaked corn.

16 gallon ferment with 25 pounds of flaked corn has only has only about a volley ball size wad of corn after ferment. Pull the bag, squeeze, let clear with cold crash, rack off the cleared wash and do a stripping run.
This is great. I will look into a big BIAB 800 micron to go inside my 23 gallon conical fermenter. The conical has a drain valve bottom center of cone so maybe I can ferment on grain in BIAB with bungee cord wrap to hold in place and then just open drain valve to lauter off into still? What do you think?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Just a thought for those who have designated flaked corn as the main grain in their mash bill:

If one is already committed to conducting a full mash with enzymes, why pay the added expense for a grain that has been gelatinized for you? In my neck of the woods flaked corn is 3x the cost of a 50lb sack of corn meal ($23). The process of mashing flaked or corn meal is virtually the same. Also, in general, working with a foodstuff closer to its original state (minimally processed) renders a more flavor-stable product.

For anyone hesitant to mash with straight corn (whole, cracked or meal), I encourage you to try it. I'm sure others will agree, that by following a few fundamentals, getting a straight corn mash to convert into wonderful golden goodness is not that difficult to master and much easier on one's wallet.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
JB_12
Novice

Post by JB_12 »

Twisted, will try that next. Found a local restaurant supply store that has 50lb sack cornmeal for $24. Thanks for the tip.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:51 am Just a thought for those who have designated flaked corn as the main grain in their mash bill:

If one is already committed to conducting a full mash with enzymes, why pay the added expense for a grain that has been gelatinized for you? In my neck of the woods flaked corn is 3x the cost of a 50lb sack of corn meal ($23). The process of mashing flaked or corn meal is virtually the same. Also, in general, working with a foodstuff closer to its original state (minimally processed) renders a more flavor-stable product.

For anyone hesitant to mash with straight corn (whole, cracked or meal), I encourage you to try it. I'm sure others will agree, that by following a few fundamentals, getting a straight corn mash to convert into wonderful golden goodness is not that difficult to master and much easier on one's wallet.
Yupp. Agreed. Flaked corn is expensive! $110 for last 50 pounds I bought. I’m pretty sure local brewery does not pay that price but I’m still looking for a supplier who will sell small amounts for a reasonable price.

Next mash is corn meal to see if it will land between cracked corn and flaked corn for cost and efficiency. It’s just waiting for me to catch up with spirit runs. I’m out of empty glass!
Marcus Aurelius
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

JB_12 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:47 am
Dancing4dan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:45 am You need a course BIAB to do corn. My corn bag is 800 microns. This helps a lot. The guy at Brewinabag.com can make these for you. Normal BIAB is 200 microns if I remember correctly.

This is great. I will look into a big BIAB 800 micron to go inside my 23 gallon conical fermenter. The conical has a drain valve bottom center of cone so maybe I can ferment on grain in BIAB with bungee cord wrap to hold in place and then just open drain valve to lauter off into still? What do you think?
If I had a conical fermenter that is exactly how I would proceed.

I use a zip tie to close the bag.

See if you can find a suspension point above your conical so you can use a block and tackle to lift the bag. Hunting store is a good source for block and tackle.

Then you can lift the bag and drain the conical at same time. Bag will drain more efficiently.
Marcus Aurelius
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Corn has amazing ability to block everything have given up and gunna try to get steam working for me....
If I had the $ would go bain marie boiler .