Malting barley

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Olmatemick
Novice

Malting barley

Post by Olmatemick »

Hello all,

Had a crack at malting my own barley.
Sack of feed barley
Soaked about 15kg over night
Drained and left for the day while i was at work
Soaked over night
Drained then split into two rubbish sacks, half arsedly tied em shut and left on the garage floor

Sack one was fully sprouted after 3 days. On average id say about 3/4 the length of the grain. Sack 2 after 5 is sprouting but far slower... maybe a bit drier than the other sack.

Sack one I have drying on a glass bbq table with one of those upright oil column heaters under it, seems to be working pretty well.
Kinda works out well with the two sacks not sprouting at the same time or id need two tables haha

Have any of you other newbies had a fo at malting any grains? What did you do/how did you smoke/cook/kiln it after you malted it etc.
Ive read the experiences of the experienced, just interested to hear other peoples anecdotes on having a crack at it
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Malting barley

Post by Demy »

I regularly brew my malt (homebrewing and spirits). First of all I do not recommend closed bags because you will have an increase in temperature that you do not want, in my experience a fresh malt and a long germination will give you better enzymatic power and uniform germination (in fact I try not to malt in the summer). the steeping water should be fresh. You should weigh the grain to see if you have actually given the right moisture. The first part of the bs drying is done with low temperature and good ventilation to preserve the enzymes. This is just a crude explanation of the process ...
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I have done 5kg of corn and 20kg barley so far. I now have a tumbler(50g drum) and a pot for steeping and kilning. About set to ramp up amounts.
Olmatemick
Novice

Post by Olmatemick »

Demy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:30 pm I regularly brew my malt (homebrewing and spirits). First of all I do not recommend closed bags because you will have an increase in temperature that you do not want, in my experience a fresh malt and a long germination will give you better enzymatic power and uniform germination (in fact I try not to malt in the summer). the steeping water should be fresh. You should weigh the grain to see if you have actually given the right moisture. The first part of the bs drying is done with low temperature and good ventilation to preserve the enzymes. This is just a crude explanation of the process ...
Hi Remy,

Thanks mate, Ill have to have another crack without the bags. I weighed it soaked, into the bags etc, seems about 48ish hours on the bbq table gets it nice and dry.
Popped some on the oven and had a play round with toasting as well. Im probably doing all the wrong things but I figure ill have a play, see what happens then go from there.
Mashed some corn and wheat last night, did 1/3 corn 1/3 wheat and 1/3 malted barley. The ol barley seemed to slog through it pretty well. Ill see how it comea out, if its crap ill reflux the bejeezus out of it and claim to me mates its vodka hahaha
Olmatemick
Novice

Post by Olmatemick »

bluc wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:27 pm I have done 5kg of corn and 20kg barley so far. I now have a tumbler(50g drum) and a pot for steeping and kilning. About set to ramp up amounts.
Hey Bluc,

Id like to give corn a go, I really only have access to feed grade stuff but ill give that a crack. If its no good I guess I can always just grow some.
I havent really read too much about malting corn, pretty well the same process? My better half loves bourbon so I am on something of a journey to make her something decent. Not to mention Ive been stuck on playing with rum for a fair while and shes getting sick of the house stinking like a sugar factory haha
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Corn has a much harder shell so needs a longer soak. I did 24hr straight soak then drain with a 12hr break. Then a second 24hr soak.I also used an air pump with air stone while steeping. Then I turned the corn often. Most people say let the shoot go to twice the length of the grain then dry.
It was bad timing for me and I didnt have a way to dry it. So was ground green and fermented.

It had a much stronger corn flavour. Was also earthy and grassy. I loved it didnt oak it just drank it as is. Small amount of it in oaked corn whiskey was also very nice..
I am much better setup now and ready for another go.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I found some good quality whole feed corn I use.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

First 20kg batch corn into soak today..
Metalicon
Novice

Post by Metalicon »

I've recently taken an interest in sprouting/malting cereal grains and have a question regarding the malting of corn. I assume that malting is done to achieve the maximum amount of fermentable sugars since corn is low in enzyme. That would be different from malting barley which I believe is done primarily for the enzymes and flavors. So I think I have a basic noob level understanding (maybe?).

But how does one know when to stop the sprouting process of the corn kernel?

I have heard/read several different stories about this and also about when to stop sprouting the barley. Some say stop the barley when the acrospire is almost as long as the grain. Others say to stop the barley when the spire first appears.

Having not done this, I've no idea which sources to accept as definitive.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Barley 3/4 length of grain. Corn up to twice the length of grain. Malting is done to produce enzymes to convert the starch. And flavour
You stop the growth by drying it...