Acid smell from distilling wine ???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Golly4u
Novice

Acid smell from distilling wine ???

Post by Golly4u »

Hi guys I’m new to the page and got a question about distilling red and white wine. I did buy a new property which used to be an old winery. I been distilling on and off since years with the normal wash process but I found a few pallets full of old wine ( around 2500 bottles ) 5-6 years old red and white wines. Yesterday I started to try to destill some of the white wine and I do get with the turbo 500 around 3.2l of 92% the only concern I have is that it really has got a acidity smell to it and it burns in your nose. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas how I can make it safe to drink. Thanks for any info. Cheers glenn.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Acid smell from distilling wine ???

Post by The Baker »

Dunno. Shouldn't be any problems.

I happily made brandy from old red and white wine with a pot still
and will have more to do when I open the rest of the old stuff from my cellar.

Standard pot stilling; if I remember right distil maybe three loads,
then redistill the result.
Do the usual cuts.

Geoff
The Baker
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Sounds like SO2 to me. Some have had luck taming the smell. I have never been able to get it out.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 am For reference:
https://istillblog.com/2018/08/23/odin-removes-sulfur/

I used this to remediate SO2 added to about 45 gallons of wine that I distilled and it worked perfectly. I don't remember my additions and I had 12% H2O2 available that I use (to prevent bacterial infection in the water) in my lettuce grow room. I can measure both total and available SO2 with a special meter and process but I just computed estimated max and min SO2 and used a medium treatment - Maybe it was 20ml/5gallon carboy of low wines....

SO2 is a natural byproduct of yeast activity as well as a preservative additive against oxidation in dried fruits and juices so it may have come from that and just not been listed on the label..

BTW in my wines I used very minimal SO2 on those batches compared to what I would normally use - I didn't think it would be an issue distilling it but it ended up being very strong in the low wines so I used this and excess copper and let it sit for a week. Worked perfect! Avoid SO2 if you can but before you chuck a batch try this.

Cheers!
-j
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Possible that the winery used sulfites to stop their ferment, check the labels. Can you describe the smell a bit more? Does it smell like anything else you are familiar with?
:)
Golly4u
Novice

Post by Golly4u »

There are no labels on the bottles. All cleanskin. It only tells me on the pallet what sort of wine it is. I don’t know how to describe the smell. The first lot maybe 30 min before the spirits starts running out smells like a nice brandy. Once the still starts up I discard the first 200 ml just to be on the safe side after that the smell is like a vinegar acid smell. It kind of reminds me if you spray vinegar on calcium and the fumes from it smells a bit like it. Sorry it is hard to describe. Yesterday I done another batch and it was the same smell again. I’m thinking of distilling both lots again and see if it makes any difference.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

As said by others, the presence of sulphites is certainly the problem. You could try to use copper pieces in the boiler (scrubber, tube pieces etc ..).
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Golly4u wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:46 am Yesterday I started to try to destill some of the white wine and I do get with the turbo 500 around 3.2l of 92%
Could you provide further information as to what the above statement means.. and do you have copper somewhere in the system, what this a first run or second, plus a picture of your setup would be of assistance..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Double distilling with a copper pot still should do a better job than a T500 pulling 92%.

If you can smell sulfur when you open a bottle, you might be in trouble. A few years ago, someone did post a method he reckons will remove Potassium metabisulfite, but I've never had to try it. Searching the forum should find it.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I had almost the same thing happened when I made some mulberry wine for a friend and when I did a cold crash to clear it that's when the sulfur/rotten egg smell appeared. I added a few sticks of half inch copper to get rid of the smell and then I wound up adding Potassium Metabisulfite to make sure that I got rid of the smell.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If your only discarding 200ml.......and not making proper cuts by taste and smell then that will be some of your problem. Good Cuts cant be made by quantity.
You'd be far better off using a different type of still and trying to turn that stuff into brandy as Chris suggested.
Is your T500 still running the original copper saddles in the column ? If not then that will also be causing a smell problem.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Golly4u wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:46 am
wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas how I can make it safe to drink.

Making it ‘safe’ is doable, making it good is another matter.

For fun I once bought the worst cheapest possible wine from Aldi (so bad it should be illegal)…… strip ran it with copper… smells were atrocious.... spirit ran it with copper… smells still awful….. big cuts… small hearts…. oak….. and it became almost drinkable.

Truly bad wine is a lost cause, but not all bad wine can be as bad as Aldi wine.

Golly4u
Novice

Post by Golly4u »

I think running a pot still to make brandy won’t fix it. Haha. I tipped about 400l of red wine in the paddock and there is still no grass growing so it’s maybe not the best to make brandy out of it. Everything in the still is new! New copper saddles and ceramic things are both brand new. I left the spirit in an open container and this morning the smell was almost gone so I might try and distill the whole lot and see if the smell disappears.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just curious , was the Red wine drinkable ?
Like , I’m no wine connoisseur , infact I haven’t never tipped out a glass of Red , I appreciate them all for thier unique bouquet :shh: , so how bad was it?

But who knows , maybe the apprentice slipped with something . Seems strange they would sell a property with pellets of unsold wine.
Golly4u
Novice

Post by Golly4u »

The red is pretty much vinegar. Full of settlement and horrible to drink. The white is not so bad. Just tastes sour. But it’s still clear. I think the wine is about 5-7!years old!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

If it's vinegared there isn't much to do I don't think, cept maybe make a salad. At least you have bottles available :)
:)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Make your own balsamic vinegar. It seems like I made mine not long ago, but it is five years already.
leont
Novice

Post by leont »

Ben wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:00 am If it's vinegared there isn't much to do I don't think, cept maybe make a salad. At least you have bottles available :)
It can be very interesting to make a salad with the wine instead of vinegar. I wonder what the price of this salad can be...
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Iv done some vinegary reds lots. My son usually gives me what he doesn't consider drinkable wine. I go twice through the pot and age on heavy char oak and its a big hit. Most can't believe it's brandy.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.