“Short path distillation”

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Vapor_Hunter
Novice

“Short path distillation”

Post by Vapor_Hunter »

I was reading on a local Distillery Website (http://shortpathdistillery.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow), and they said, " “Short path distillation” [relates to] the type of distilling done in a pot still. The shorter the path between where the wash evaporates and where it condenses, the more flavorful and complex the distillate."

I have read the homedistiller.org website for quite some time and don't recall seeing a similar assertion. Is there any basis for truth to this, or is it just marketing? If there is some truth, then it may be a design consideration when designing a pot still, which is why I put this post in this forum.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: “Short path distillation”

Post by der wo »

It's true. But it's only one of many details. And it's not only more flavorful and complex, it's also dirtier, less refined.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Vapor_Hunter
Novice

Post by Vapor_Hunter »

Great response, thank you. I'll have an opportunity to sample their wares in a couple of weeks. I'll be on the lookout for less refined flavors.

My pot has a very short path, so I will need to think about this the next time i am evaluating flavors from a run.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Adding to what der wo said, the “short path” also carries over more of the constituents of the boil...because of the effects of “smearing”. The rate of boil will also increase this effect, which is exacerbated by the short potstill vapor path. Results are 1) more flavor, and 2) less separation of the congeners. So, you get “the bad” with “the good”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Vapor_Hunter
Novice

Post by Vapor_Hunter »

Yup, I once overpowered a stripping run and literally carried over part of the wash with my short pot still vapor path- the distillate was greenish - yellow (UJSSM recipe). After all, you all said, "run a stripping run hot and fast". Well, maybe not quite as hot and fast as I did it! The spirit run cleaned everything up, so not problem. All in the process of learning.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

still_stirrin wrote:Adding to what der wo said, the “short path” also carries over more of the constituents of the boil...because of the effects of “smearing”. The rate of boil will also increase this effect, which is exacerbated by the short potstill vapor path. Results are 1) more flavor, and 2) less separation of the congeners. So, you get “the bad” with “the good”.
ss
So is this why commercial pots employ boil balls? In addition to reducing chances of puking as well as smearing through entrainment, it appears said ball may preserve the "short path" while contributing some degree of passive reflux, thus inducing heavier "dirtier" constituents to return to the boil. Does this sound correct?

I am curious what ideal proportions for a boil ball would be for a 3" or 4" column on a keg with a 2" - 4" opening.

Kind of like this but true hobby level:
Attachments
Placement of Copper Packing (SD).jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

A bowl reduces heavily the vapor speed at this point. So there is a long time with lot of copper contact, what means reflux. That's why it's called "reflux bowl" normally. And there heavy particles can simply drop down again. What means it reduces entrainement.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Twisted Brick wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:Adding to what der wo said, the “short path” also carries over more of the constituents of the boil...because of the effects of “smearing”. The rate of boil will also increase this effect, which is exacerbated by the short potstill vapor path. Results are 1) more flavor, and 2) less separation of the congeners. So, you get “the bad” with “the good”.
ss
So is this why commercial pots employ boil balls? In addition to reducing chances of puking as well as smearing through entrainment, it appears said ball may preserve the "short path" while contributing some degree of passive reflux, thus inducing heavier "dirtier" constituents to return to the boil. Does this sound correct?

I am curious what ideal proportions for a boil ball would be for a 3" or 4" column on a keg with a 2" - 4" opening.

Kind of like this but true hobby level:
This picture surely does not show a short path.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Kareltje wrote:This picture surely does not show a short path.
Agreed. Unfortunately, I could not find my pic of a boil ball with the still head attached directly above it...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

More marketing hype than anything I would say, 7-8 years of reading about distilling and never seen that wording before. That leads me to think it cant be in common use in the spirt distilling world.....science , scientists and the like use the terminology a lot more often.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-path_distillation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I like their stills.

I have a lot still head which is just a 4" going to 8" cone with an 1 1/2 take off. It pukes if started too fast and makes amazing flavorful spirit in 2 runs, 3 runs and it's really balanced. Unfortualy it pukes too much and it's easier to do 2 runs on my modular style 3". Short path is great if you are aging and want something really strong, could make a very heavy rum thus way.

The vapour ball does really help with reflux, noticed a difference when I added a one in my column, seemed to be just a tad higher alcohol and smoother stream.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros