Doubling distillate volume with equal sized thumper?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with thumpers and without..

Moderator: Site Moderator

Doubling distillate volume with equal sized thumper?

Postby telefonica » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:20 pm

I have a converted 15.5 gal keg that I use as a boiler for my pot still. Recently, I've been considering adding another 15.5 gal keg as a thumper. Is my understanding correct that I could effectively double my output by doing so? Essentially, my stripping run would be 10 gal of wash in both my main and thumper, and my spirit run would be low wines equally split between my main and thumper? By doing so, I'd be doubling my output?

That's not how it got the name "doubler", correct? My understanding was that it got that name because it would increase (or possibly double) the ABV.

Thanks!
telefonica
Novice

Re: Doubling distillate volume with equal sized thumper?

Postby Kareltje » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pm

More or less, yes.
To heat up the thumper the boiler has to transport a certain volume to the thumper. This enhances both the volume and the ABV in the thumper, so the ABV leaving the thumper is higher than the ABV leaving the boiler, and the thumper will also be more filled.
Truckinbutch uses a boiler and thumper that are both 15 gallons, if I am correct. I use a boiler and thumper of 10 liters. Among other uses for running 15 liters of wash: 8 in the boiler, 7 in the thumper. Less low wines of a higher ABV in one run.
Kareltje
Distiller

Postby dukethebeagle120 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Yup
When doing strip run
Works great
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby NZChris » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm

A preheater gives you multiple strips with only one wait for heat up.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=66230
NZChris
Master Distiller

Postby Truckinbutch » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 pm

I ferment 30 gallon AG batches . That normally yields me 12.5 gallons of clear yield for my gas fired boiler . Straining and squeezing the remaining mash will yield approximately 12.5 gallons of cloudy mash for my thumper . Do a couple of strip runs of that and you have enough for a large spirit run where you do your cuts and blending .
Don't forget to cut what you rerun to below 40% before running .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby dukethebeagle120 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 am

Kareltje wrote:More or less, yes.
To heat up the thumper the boiler has to transport a certain volume to the thumper. This enhances both the volume and the ABV in the thumper, so the ABV leaving the thumper is higher than the ABV leaving the boiler, and the thumper will also be more filled.
Truckinbutch uses a boiler and thumper that are both 15 gallons, if I am correct. I use a boiler and thumper of 10 liters. Among other uses for running 15 liters of wash: 8 in the boiler, 7 in the thumper. Less low wines of a higher ABV in one run.

I use 2 15.5 gallon kegs also
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Return to Pot Distillation/Thumper and Design