The alembic anomaly

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Snapperhead
Novice

The alembic anomaly

Post by Snapperhead »

Thought I should start a build thread, hopefully one that ends well, with me getting well plastered.

The project started with a laundry "copper", a header tank from the 1907 villa I had, a pot plant holder, toilet vent cap, and the ends from my hot water cylinder that finally got replaced
Loosely thrown and bashed together to make something, that after I had got all my "lost in space" robot impressions out of the way, looked slightly alembic.
I have wanted to build a still for a few years now, and the time seemed right (middle of major renovations to my new home, bike project, heavy work load, starting new business, etc, but single, so I had money, energy and time)
I plan on having this one, and my attempt at a reflux column as the centre piece of the new lounge as I thought I could reclaim the heat after day runs during winter, and the new workshop cant accommodate them.
My intro thread has more history on this

This is where it is now
progress3.jpg
And the roughly shaped lyne arm
My little friend2.jpg
This is the basis of the lintel/lentil (I still dont know which it is)
inside lentil 2.jpg
From what I understand, the lentil is a reflux "device", given both by the vapour expanding and contact with the exterior surface of the saucer. I have seen old drawings of them being cooled by pouring water into a channel that encircled the rim. I will be weaving a number of thin tubes into a belt and embedding them into the external centre ring on my one, which I want to control each individually for fine tuning of any reflux (if it works). Vapour is just trying to get out, so I had to do something to encourage them to "visit" the outer rim before they continued their journey out, which is why I have added the choke. Vapour also flows better when its spinning, so the vanes are there to start a rotational movement as they go along. On top of the octurbulator, will be the "crown" of vanes I am working on, to enhance and continue the spin as it enters the lyne arm section. The lyne arm section is that shape because I wanted a smooth as possible journey for the spinning vapour, with smooth transitions in both shape and direction (the expansion chamber/head is for some last chance reflux) before the product condenser (and its size was governed by the pieces of copper I had)
I have put a fair bit of effort into making the entire rig, as smooth and gentle as possible on the vapour stream to find its way out. Sharp edges and steep transitions can make it harder for the vapours path onward (can cause negative pressure waves), and spinning vapours move easier through restrictions than an eratic or disrupted flows.
I will have a few viewports around the rig, just to see if my crackpot theory on gas flow does anything. I have no idea if vapour speeds inside this still, will be fast and voluminous enough to make any of this work, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

one of my main design requirements is "W.W.V.W.T.D" "what would vapour want to do". Every step I take is thinking about the vapours point of view, and what is best for it. Kind of like having a happy and stress free cow before it becomes a bunch of steaks and sausages. Im hoping for some smooth and gentle brandy, start to finish.
This thing isnt going to build itself like Stephen Kings "Christene" so I better go make some noise
Peace out
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: The alembic anomaly

Post by pounsfos »

This is amazing, continue the good work!!!

we are always a fan of pictures, and that's quite the beast you have there
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I'm thinking that your vapor spinning is going to really create some smearing. On the other hand if this is your brandy maker perhaps that smearing may be helpful with the more delicate fruit notes that come over with heads?
I assembled an experimental rig last year that smeared the day lights out of the run. It was not good at all off of the dick. But 3 months later it turned out to be very enjoyable to drink even if waking up the following day was not.

That smeared run really helped me gain more confidence to drift a little further away from center.
No matter, I am very interested to see how many hoops you can make your vapor jump through. I'd love to be able to see that pin wheel in action.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

I feel lucky not to have any experience here really. I have no idea just how any of this will work out for producing brandy/rum/bourbon but it will get built anyway.

My gut feeling is that the vapour will just ignore my attempts to spin it up, until it reaches a certain volume/flow rate. And I dont even know if it will reach that point. Octurbulator is fixed to the alembic, so slow moving vapour will just flow around the vanes like a gentle chicane.
This is more of a whimsical and fun project done to climb the learning curve, and being my first rig, I have nothing to compare the results to. Theory is a valuable thing , but not the main criteria for anything I tend to do, I like to challenge the laws of physics from time to time, just to see if they are still paying attention.
Either way it will look outrageous and will be a great conversation piece.

I had intended on maturing almost all of its output for a year or so, my renovations include a maturing cellar tucked up the back of the new workshop. I am already gathering materials for my version of a reflux column, which I hope to get some neutrals from.

Righty ho then, the sun is up, so I better get down and keep building away
Thanks for the input
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

This build has taken on a theatrical lean to it. I did want to have a 6" glass outer tube for the condenser barrel but the cost here in NZ is prohibitive at best, so it will have curved viewports in a 3" copper barrel to see the coolant flow instead. Parrot will live in a recess made in the stock, and take the shape of a magazine. I have wanted to make an oversized steampunk gun for quite some time and I see this is an opportunity for getting that out of my system, as well as giving me a PC, parrot, and collection vessel stand. The "shotgun" condenser will sit on a stainless tube "gun rack" that has the controls hidden inside an old small suitcase (in the background), mounted to it. It brings a smile to my face when I look at it, so its a successful start so far, just got to make it now.
condenser concept.jpg
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Well I am going ahead with my "Shotgun" condenser and stand. The magazine insert will enclose the parrot and outlet at the base, into the collection jars that will sit on a spill pan made to slot into the base (the block is for shaping the copper to fit)
I have hammered out the parts for the parrot/magazine shell and spill tray since these pics were taken
Condenser stand progress.jpg
Condenser stand progress 3.jpg
Condenser stand progress 2.jpg
Gun stock is made from glued up sheets of mdf and particle board offcuts, then carved and sanded to the basic shape. The base block is Jarrah from an old railway sleeper, and will be varnished after some pewter inserts are fitted. Stainless tube gun rack has worked well and the valve suitcase fits neatly into the space between.

I am now working on some formwork for the cast boiler shell, as it sets the final height of the entire rig. It will be a complicated shell as there will be multiple mini venturi burners entering in various points around the circumference and will have a flued exhaust port.
Masses of work left to do, but progressing in the right direction.
Righty ho, back to it
Peace out
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Man that swan's neck looks like one of those motor scooter muffler thingys.
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Thanks Larry :D , thats exactly the look I was going for. The whole build is to up-skill my copper working abilty so I am pushing all my boundaries on this. I was thinking of hydroforming a set of copper expansion chambers for a bike project I am currently building (2003 gsxr 1000 chassis with a 1978 2 stroke triple motor). I am fairly sure I want to do it now, as the centreline seam, just doesnt do it for me personally.
Like most of the things I build for around the house, there is always something motorcycle oriented to them.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

You've certainly had some.progress since last time I seen it on ad!!. Would love to have the skills to do the arm like you did, great job mate you've certainly got some skills. Love the shoty idea :D it's like boom here comes.the good stuff!. I'm guessing the parrot will be one of a.kind too?. Be interesting to see what your pinwheel does, I reckon it will produce some very fast spot speed!. How is it mounted?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Thanks Googe, its coming along despite how complex I have made it. I will try and post some pics of the basic tooling I knocked up, its simple and made from particle board offcuts.
Yes the parrot will be hidden inside the magazine case shell, just like all others, just hidden inside a decorative cover (but the final outlet tip will be lower)
I will be putting 3 viewports into the lintel/lentil, just to get a good view of whats going on in there (if anything is happening) It will sit on 4 little fixed legs just above the inlet, its shaped to fit snugly into the opening. I have no idea if it will do anything more than look odd, but I had to give it a go.

OK, some update pics
Condenser stand progress 4.jpg
Condenser stand progress 5.jpg
Piece by piece this is moving in the right direction.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

I've never seen a better interpretation of the "shotgun" condenser than that mate.
I don't care if it works or not!
It should work well, regardless.

You are a craftsman. :thumbup:
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The artistic members of the forum are enjoying this build!
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Some update pics
bit by bit.jpg
bit by bit2.jpg
bit by bit3.jpg
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

And some of the detail
smors.jpg
smors2.jpg
smors3.jpg
Its going in the right direction, with baby steps, but still moving along the right path
Just gathering 20mm tube for the PC internals, mucking around with cut bottle windows for the PC, and finishing touches to the internal coolant plumbing. Fibre optic lighting loom is planned and just need a few supplies to start lighting her up like some illegal Mexican fireworks.
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

I have seen a lot of artwork on here, but words fail me here. I want it in my living room. No one would even know what it was.
Snapperhead
Novice

Post by Snapperhead »

Thanks WV. the inlet and outlet coolant lines will be all but invisible, and the gas feed for the burner will be disguised too. With luck it will just look like a very odd sculpture, or a very confusing floor lamp, The boiler shroud will chance things again in regards to it looking like anything else, except a still.
Great thing about doing it in my unusual way is that I own the house and there is no one to tell me NOT to drill holes in the floor and walls if it needs it (It does BTW)
Although I have plans in my head for a bubble column that should make this one look pedestrian in comparison, but first things first.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Bumping this because more people need to see this still.
I wonder if it ever got finished.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Corsaire wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:29 am Bumping this because more people need to see this still.
I wonder if it ever got finished.
Thanks.
I forgot all about this build.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Wow. Snapperhead needs to update us on this build, but hasn't been around since 2013. Hope he's doing well and didn't abandon the hobby.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Amazing look! I love your interpretation of shotgun! :thumbup: :lol:
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

updates?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

“but single, so I had money, energy and time”.... nice!
That thing is bad ass man. Definitely on board with the update requests.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine