American Copper Works - Alert!

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

American Copper Works - Alert!

Post by Twisted Brick »

From time to time member complaints surface about less-than-acceptable dealings with suppliers of all things distilling, such as stills, accessories, supplies, etc. After reviewing complaints posted on HD over the last two weeks and a subsequent vendor review, the mods have decided to name American Copper Works to the flagged list of suppliers. This list includes sellers who have poor reputations regarding advice, service, delivery or workmanship and can be found in the Required Reading box below under "The Rules By Which We Live" .

While the violations of American Copper Works vary, they are consistent from customer to customer. These include poor workmanship, late or unfulfilled orders, shipping of incomplete orders (with no intention to rectify) and refusal to issue refunds. Common to all complaints is unacceptably poor customer service (rude and abrasive responses to customers’ complaints) designed to intimidate. To wit:

02/04/2021
I purchased products from them that was supposed to be delivered in 2-4 weeks. Nearly 8 months later I still have not received my purchase that was paid for nearly 8 months ago. They refused my request for refund, called and cussed me out over the phone, and even harassed my wife on social media. I have made several requests for a delivery date or a refund and never a get a commitment. I want a refund immediately.
Desired Outcome
Refund
The above complaint and additional complaints/vendor responses can be found on the https://www.bbb.org/us/nh/manchester/pr ... complaints

The original member posts are here:

Ordered a still on-line……big mistake

Beginning Distiller

As is Home Distiller's policy of giving a heads up to members to avoid the frustration of being scammed or ripped off, the recommendation is to avoid doing any kind of business with American Copper Works.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: American Copper Works - Alert!

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thank you for your input on this subject Twisted ,,,,,input on dodgy suppliers is always welcome. :thumbup:
SomeOneNextDoor
Novice

Post by SomeOneNextDoor »

on April 20 of 2022 I ordered a Still from American copper works. We’ve been in contact with each other over the past year with promises on my delivery at one point they said I was 555 out of 770 something
late March early April music I was in contact with American copper Works and told him I was getting antsy about not receiving my still
American copper works emailed me telling me that mine was one of the next one of the stills that were going to be sent out within the next two weeks and that was over a month ago
then I asked them if they would inform me when it was going to be sent and they said they would since then I have heard nothing from the company
I think they screwed me out of $599

now they will not return my emails, and they having absolutely no contact with me
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

SomeOneNextDoor wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:28 pm on April 20 of 2022 I ordered a Still from American copper works. We’ve been in contact with each other over the past year with promises on my delivery at one point they said I was 555 out of 770 something
late March early April music I was in contact with American copper Works and told him I was getting antsy about not receiving my still
American copper works emailed me telling me that mine was one of the next one of the stills that were going to be sent out within the next two weeks and that was over a month ago
then I asked them if they would inform me when it was going to be sent and they said they would since then I have heard nothing from the company
I think they screwed me out of $599

now they will not return my emails, and they having absolutely no contact with me
SomeOneNextDoor,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. The story of your treatment from this seller is common.

The last member who complained of such treatment from American Copper Works was able to achieve a 'resolution' through filing a complaint with the online payment program he used (I think it was PayPal). The complaint initiated an inquiry that somehow compelled ACW to resolve it. If you happened to have paid via this method you might explore that option.

Best of luck to you.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
SomeOneNextDoor
Novice

Post by SomeOneNextDoor »

Just so ya’ll know, I received my 6gal still this morning after a long long wait.

But I must say, this still is a thing of beauty!
‘outstanding craftsmanship’

there’s not a mark nor a dent on it anywhere after shipping it’s actually packed tightly in about a bail of straw, might’ve taken a while to get it but it was worth every dime and honestly worth the wait now that it’s in my hands!

after I manage to message the owner he contacted me, chatted for a few, explained my frustration in my bad attitude, and then three days later it shows up.

The guy has thousands of orders to for fill!
but be patient you will get it
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If they have a 15 month lead time they should be very upfront about it. Glad they got you what you paid for but would you order again if you knew it was going to be 15 months?

I finally purchased an all cooper boiler and had to hunt and wait for the right opportunity but I already had a working stainless boiler so I was able to continue working on stillin chops while it took a minute.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

SomeOneNextDoor wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:17 pm Just so ya’ll know, I received my 6gal still this morning after a long long wait.

But I must say, this still is a thing of beauty!
‘outstanding craftsmanship’

there’s not a mark nor a dent on it anywhere after shipping it’s actually packed tightly in about a bail of straw, might’ve taken a while to get it but it was worth every dime and honestly worth the wait now that it’s in my hands!

after I manage to message the owner he contacted me, chatted for a few, explained my frustration in my bad attitude, and then three days later it shows up.

The guy has thousands of orders to for fill!
but be patient you will get it
Good feedback, SomeOne NextDoor. Among this seller's carnage, its refreshing to hear a positive report.

For sure, let us know how the construction integrity and performance of your still holds up over many distillations, over any superficial dents or scratches you observed in your shiny copper. Also, can you share how you know he has thousands of orders to fill? Did he tell you this or maybe just a hunch of yours?

Lastly, this seller has such a prolonged list of documented screwed customers (check the BBB website for complaints) who were sufficiently intimidated to walk away from their deposits, how is you know the next 'patient' sucker will actually receive what he ordered?

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Thanks for the heads up TB. Sellers with bad customer service and long lead time are definitely not in good standing with us here at HD. Getting added to the "blacklist" is their own fault. I for one will never order anything from a vendor that has suck a bad reputation. I ask other members to head the advice of HD. American Copper Works is not a place that we want to do business with.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

It's somewhat of a conflict for me to participate here on this thread. But to be clear, lead times are not at all the real issue here. Heck, rumor has it that the mighty Vendome is 3 years out. Things happen and have happen beyond the control of all businesses.

The issue is poor communication, bad manners, and not doing the right / equitable thing on the customer's behalf.
And in my view lack of product knowledge and theory is a no no as well.
Shoddy workmanship goes without saying.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Mind sharing a picture of your purchase?
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
+Stillborn+
Novice

Post by +Stillborn+ »

I have been going down the same road with American Copperworks. I ordered a 6 gallon pot with a thumper rig in mid July. I have been in contact with them twice since then. I did not have any bad conversation, the guy was actually decent about explaining the delay in receiving my purchase. I didn't get any of the abuse or profanity that others have encountered. I got the same response others have, swamped with orders and they are backed up, etc. He promised me it would ship within a month. If I do receive it that would make it around 4 months from ordering. I will keep you all posted on what happens and post pictures of the rig if and when I get it. :wtf:
+Stillborn+

The young shiner says to the old shiner let’s run down there and run some of those stills, the old shiner says let’s walk and run them all.