Just can't get a good seal on my boiler lid! 8g pot still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Asos21
Bootlegger

Just can't get a good seal on my boiler lid! 8g pot still

Post by Asos21 »

So I found this old pot in a garage sale. It had apparently been used as the boiler for a cheap Chinese still.

I constructed the lid from 2 36cm stainless steel mixing bowls. Drilled at the top with a 28mm tank connector fitted into the top.

The pot has the original gasket and the clamps still attached to the side of the pot.

Even when all clamps are connected the mixing bowl lid just doesn't make good contact with the gasket. About 3 inches from each clamp I can literally slide a piece of paper in between the lid and gasket.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this? I've even tried a PTFE gasket in between and the lid still makes poor contact between each clamp.

Could I possibly use flour paste or maybe some extra little clamps in between?

Or possibly I could stop using the boiler clamps and just use a big set of the hand clamps all the way around the lid?

It's driving me absolutely mad now!
IMG_20211016_183855_344.jpg
Asos21
Bootlegger

Re: Just can't get a good seal on my boiler lid! 8g pot still

Post by Asos21 »

Got some more pictures of the issue here. Sorry the images are over 4mb so it wouldn't let me upload them on here.

https://ibb.co/Vgsf31t
https://ibb.co/RPdtHRN
https://ibb.co/SvdYW5q
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Try a thick rye flour, like a dough. Press fit the lid to the pot with it. That might work.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

The easiest solution would be to put some sort of shim between the top arm of the clamp where it touches on the rim (coin or something thicker).

Another idea would be to build-up the gasket thickness. Get a few rolls of gas line PTFE tape (thicker) and spiral wrap the existing gasket until you've made it thick enough.

You could also put a little bend in the vertical portion of of the clamp arms to make them effectively shorter throw, or even cut them at the bottom and re-bend the little metal arms to shorten them substantial.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Also search up the everlasting gasket. You might be able to use a few layers of cardboard to thicken it up then wrapped in plumbers ptfe tape. Rye dough is also easy enough.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Looks to me like the bowl rim is not flat and even all round the pot edge making it difficult to get a good seal. I agree with 8Ball use a flour dough and form a thick gasket with it. I use this method with my pot lid and it works great. I also wonder what the original gasket you have on the pot is made of? Is it an alcohol safe material.
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

8Ball wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:06 am Try a thick rye flour, like a dough. Press fit the lid to the pot with it. That might work.
I'm definitely going to give this a try. Do I still use the clamps with the rye flour dough?
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

ThomasBrewer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:11 am The easiest solution would be to put some sort of shim between the top arm of the clamp where it touches on the rim (coin or something thicker).

Another idea would be to build-up the gasket thickness. Get a few rolls of gas line PTFE tape (thicker) and spiral wrap the existing gasket until you've made it thick enough.

You could also put a little bend in the vertical portion of of the clamp arms to make them effectively shorter throw, or even cut them at the bottom and re-bend the little metal arms to shorten them substantial.
I already tried building a cardboard and PTFE tape gasket and I fit it in between the gasket on the pot and the lid. Unfortunately it made no difference and I could still push a piece of paper in between the lid and the pot in between the clamps.

I'll try your first idea of putting a coin under the clamps in the morning! Does this cause a greater distribution of the pressure from the clamps?
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

Rum Agol wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:55 am Looks to me like the bowl rim is not flat and even all round the pot edge making it difficult to get a good seal. I agree with 8Ball use a flour dough and form a thick gasket with it. I use this method with my pot lid and it works great. I also wonder what the original gasket you have on the pot is made of? Is it an alcohol safe material.
The bowl rim is actually flat all around until the clamps are applied. The problem as I can see it is that the clamps are easily generating 20kg each of pressure on the rim of the mixing bowl. They are honestly ridiculously strong. With the strength of the clamps and the thin stainless steel of the mixing bowls the clamps bend the rim down where they are applied making the rim of the lid not flat all around.

So basically you're right. When the clamps are applied the rim is not even all around the pot!

I'm thinking the best idea now would be to use rye flour dough all around the gasket and press fit the lid down. Then clamp down with some 7kg pressure hand clamps.

Really not feeling like I should be using the clamps which are pre installed on the pot. Because each one of them applies a ridiculous amount of pressure to a tiny area of the lid rim.

If only I could build a large metal ring that could sit on the bowl rim. Like a strong metal ring that would just reinforce the rim to evenly distribute the pressure from the clamps. Because right now the stainless steel rim of the lid just bends down at each point that a clamp is applied. But honestly I haven't got the tools or knowledge.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Binder clips might work in conjunction with your clamps,

otherwise abandon the clamps and use binder clips alone.
be water my friend
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

If you're handy, you might also consider adding a few more of those clips to more evenly distribute the load. Stainless steel pop rivets are pretty cheap, or you could solder stainless pan head screws.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have 1/4" thick steel rings helping to seal two of my pots. It took a lot of patience to do it on the cheap, like over twenty years, but it did eventually happen courtesy of a scrapyard and a friend with the tools and skills I lack. If I'd bought new steel and paid a tradesman I would have had the benefit of them for a lot longer. A lot of my gear has been obtained and built by putting the word out at my local pubs, which are frequented by a variety of tradies with useful knowledge, skills and contacts. For example; I've just been given bulk honey by a plumber who has done brazing for me, given me copper and fittings, sorted my cooling water issues, plus dropped off fresh fish during Covid lockdown when we were all banned from fishing and boating and the liquor stores were closed :D
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

This is what I use, works perfectly
clip.jpg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

What Demy said.

Put them close together.

And if there is still a gap make some flour dough. Some salt (develops the gluten in the dough, gives it strength)
and some olive oil (gives it softness and pliability).
Roll it into a rope.
Give it a rest.
Roll it again.
Put it in the gap.
Put on the clips.

Geoff
The Baker
Asos21
Bootlegger

Post by Asos21 »

Demy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 am This is what I use, works perfectlyclip.jpg
These placed all around the lid actually fixed my bad seal and the boiler now does not leak.

Thank you!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Asos21 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:40 am
Demy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 am This is what I use, works perfectlyclip.jpg
These placed all around the lid actually fixed my bad seal and the boiler now does not leak.

Thank you!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Demy beat me to it. I use those clips on my essential oil still and just looking at yours you do not have enough clips to get a good seal.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Spiral jute string on a layer of thin paste and then paste over top and clamp the lid down . That or everlasting PTFE gasket both work well for me .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Wozza
Bootlegger

Post by Wozza »

Asos21 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 am Could I possibly use flour paste or maybe some extra little clamps in between?
From what you've written, the clamps are way too strong. An everasting gasket is a bitch to make on a large diameter pot - I spent a few hours making three different widths for my ol' tea urn boiler and none of them worked. So four paste is your best bet. Or rather...flour dough. I experimented until I got the right ration of flour to water - not too dry and not too sticky. And that's 65g of flour and 40g water (that gives me just the right amount).

Add the water to the flour, mix with a fork and roll into a ball. If it sticks to your hand, add just a touch more flour. Tear a chunk off and roll it between your fingers to get a pencil thin rope. Then run that in three or 4 sections around either the lip of the boiler or the rim of the lid (my lid has a slight fold-over so it works better on) that. If it's on the lid, make sure it's stuck so it doesn't fall off into your wash when you put the lid on.

When the lid is on, use the clips that are in the piccie above - or similar - to clamp the lid on. I use three small plastic clips and that does the job. The clips shouldn't be so strong that they hurt if you clamp them to your finger. You don't need too much pressure or you'll squeeze your dough out, and there's no internal pressure in the boiler to oivercome.

It can be a pain in the butt getting it off when you've finished, but something I tried a few weeks ago saves me so much time cleaning up. Run a little butter or oil around the boiler rim (if your dough is on the lid). It still seals and comes off the boiler cleanly and breaks off the lid without too much of a problem.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Could I possibly use flour paste

Yes, flour dough.

Include some salt, helps develop the gluten, for elasticity and strength.
Add some olive oil for softness and non-stickiness.

Geoff
The Baker
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

The Baker wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:06 am Could I possibly use flour paste

Yes, flour dough.

Include some salt, helps develop the gluten, for elasticity and strength.
Add some olive oil for softness and non-stickiness.

Geoff
This and binder clips all way round.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.