Worm condenser

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Worm condenser

Post by stillvodka »

Just finished building my pot still condenser worm, it's 18ft of 15mm diameter copper pipe , the wound coil size is 200mm diameter , condenser stands up at 24'' high and have 3'' between coils, will sit in a 60 liters of water (Refuse Bin) , I will be doing 5 Gallon washes,

Do you recon this condenser worm will work OK, I keep thinking that I have the coils to close together, wont disperse the heat , there is about 10 coils in the worm.

I would really appreciate any adavice on this, I Had hells work winding this worm, I cant really open the coiles wider I have soldered support rails down the sides of the worm on every coil.
olddog
retired

Re: Worm condenser

Post by olddog »

I use the same type of water container for use with my leibig condenser on a 50ltr keg, I can get a full run with no worries.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Sounds good to me
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The air gap (water gap) between the coils shouldn't be all that critical... As long as all of the coils have a downward slope, and have enough gap for water to circulate trough, convection will do its job and maintain a cooling phase from top to bottom/bottom to top...
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Excellent , thanks for that,

I poured the tiny trickle of water down through the worm, and waited ,thought to myself It's not going to come out the other end, then about 30 seconds later out it come , so there cant be any low spots in there , all should be OK.
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

The coils in my run are about 1 1/2" inches apart in a six gallon bucket. The distillate always comes out cool. You should be fine.
Little Lukie
Bootlegger

Post by Little Lukie »

Old timers like atleast 7 turns on their worm. I found when your done and ready to run,take a ball bearing small enough for your worm and let it go in it. Itshould run freely thru. That way you know there isn't any restrictions or coil raised too high
in the coil.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Little Lukie wrote:Old timers like atleast 7 turns on their worm. I found when your done and ready to run,take a ball bearing small enough for your worm and let it go in it. Itshould run freely thru. That way you know there isn't any restrictions or coil raised too high
in the coil.

Nice to see ya back posting again Lukie... how did all the other stuff go?

Stillin again. or just cruisin through?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'd presume that to be 7 turns for luck more than anything... Some of those old timers were pretty superstitious...
Little Lukie
Bootlegger

Post by Little Lukie »

Ihaven't fired up in awhile.Just laying low.You know this stuff gets in your blood.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Little Lukie wrote:You know this stuff gets in your blood.
usually through the digetive tract.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Little Lukie wrote:Ihaven't fired up in awhile.Just laying low.You know this stuff gets in your blood.

Yep.

I'm out in the shed most afternoons, even when i'm not runnin, i'm doin somethin related.

HopeSheSettlesDownPunkin
Adverse Effects
Swill Maker

Post by Adverse Effects »

dont know why you guys go so big

CLICK THE PIC

see my worm condencer on the right

its 4Mt of 12.5mm coiled to fit in the 60mm tube and the water flow i need to keep it cool is less than the thickness of a match stick
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
help those that help them self first
25Lt old school SS keg as a pot with a prototype Ponu still head
boingk
Novice

Post by boingk »

Sounds fine to me. Had an almost identical setup using 10~12ft of half inch pipe and sitting in a 60L plastic bin of water. From a cold start it got warm, but if you use some large blocks of ice this will help. I find soft drink or milk bottles work well, just cut away the plastic to let you get to the ice and let a few float in the water. I ended up going air-cooled because I find it more conveniant.

Cheers - boingk
hallzy
Novice

Post by hallzy »

G'day everyone, I used to run a pot still and I felt bad about all the water it was using so I made a worm condenser. I got a piece of 1/2" copper, 6 meters long and wound it round an oxy bottle. I cant remember what size, maybe 8". I found a 20 gallon steel drum and fitted it inside, brazing it in place. I used it like that for about 5 years only having to top it up before each run as a litre or two would evaporate. The top 1/3 of the drum would get quite warm during the run but the other 2/3 was stone cold. It saved a lot of water in the time I used it, so I didn't feel bad about drinking a lot. :D
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

I have 3/8 tubing with 4 coils at 8" diameter and about 3" between coils in a 5 gallon bucket. I could run 5 gallons fine but my boiler will only hold 3. So when I refill it I refill the bucket as well. I think it will work fine.
Likker in the front and poker in the rear