spirit run ABV - 40% or 25%

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blind drunk
retired

spirit run ABV - 40% or 25%

Post by blind drunk »

I'm planning a rum spirit run and was wondering what the best ABV to charge the pot. Normally I go for 40% but I just read that Harry suggests taking it down to 25% ABV for some specific scientific reasons that I don't completely understand. Any feedback would be appreciated; what are folks doing here? 40% or 25% ABV. Thanks, bd.
I do all my own stunts
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: spirit run ABV - 40% or 25%

Post by LWTCS »

I am doing single runs through the thump tower. Charging all thumpers with dunder.
Tried charging the thumpers with a bit of molassas, but prefer the dunder. Although the foaming from the molassas made me aware of a leak I didn't know I had.

Recon my rig is so disimilar that my comments are useless.

Where did you read Harry's thoughts on the matter?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

. Two reasons for going low - will spit out aging proof meaning less water to dilute your flavour with later, and will give you the chance to seperate out oils and such (they'll precipitate and settle).
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I'm not sure where I read it but it's been bouncing around in my head. Could have been an article in Harry's Library. Either case, thanks guys, I think I'll give it a whirl :) bd.
I do all my own stunts
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

I think there is also an article on similar stuff called 'diluting the still charge' in harry's library.
My stuff
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Do you bring the spirit charge down to 25%, kiwi? I'm trying as I write but am wondering if others do this. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

dnder has talked about this. If you start with the right ABV you dont have to cut with water at the end. I think the starting ABV must obvviously change with recipe and even characteristics of a certain still, if you want to get nit picky about it.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

I've changed to doing it but don't have the experience with it yet to say if it's making a difference. Diluting with wash. I think myles does, though? he has a seperator as well if I recall correctly.
My stuff
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

i have diluted with wash, not for the sake of getting the ABV down. But rather to try to add more flavor for a spirit run. I do say i like the results, although i still had to cut with water.
-Control Freak-
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Thanks. I've never has so many cloudy heads as I'm having now :shock: Running slow with a packed 18" column. We'll see how this progresses. The yellow jackets are very interested in what's going on :roll: bd.
I do all my own stunts
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

The yellow jackets are very interested in what's going on bd.
Yes, them bastards are very persistant this time of year.
-Control Freak-
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Me thinks it was a success. Although I have no thing to compare to or with, the overall impression is thumbs up. Packing the column is my new favorite activity. Nice and clean with good separation between the good stuff and the bad stuff. Also, the abv stays high and the tails barely make an appearance. I got more low wines to do it all over again :D Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Turns out I did get tails but more interesting is that I got many 700 ml of 82-78 Abv that taste yummy from a 25% spirit run. I have another corny filled with similar low wines and this time I want to add my 18" column extension, giving me a 36" pot head. I want to fill the whole darn thing with copper and run slow. Do you think I get get higher and cleaner ABV doing this? Is there a limit to passive reflux? Just wondering, bd.
I do all my own stunts
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Yes, you'll get a higher ABV with that, but wouldn't you want it lower?
My stuff
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Yes, you'll get a higher ABV with that, but wouldn't you want it lower?
Probably, but I want to experiment. The nature of the mission has changed :lol: I want to see where this leads. I want a really clean and flavorful rumka :wink: Thanks kiwi, bd.
I do all my own stunts
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

i strip right down to about 1%ABV that makes my charge for the spirit run about 25%abv (i also go right down to 1% on the spirit run for the feints) that way i have full flavour and no water needs to be added to get 67%ish for aging after cuts
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

That is definitely the way I'm going to be doing my scotch. Just waiting on my yeast now!
My stuff
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

I'd say 25%. More separation making it easier to make the cuts, and for safety reasons.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

The one I did it didn't work out because of all the packing I used :roll: :roll: The ABV was higher than it should have been for oaking. But one thing that did work is I'm using that high test rum to mix with some single run rum I did. It seemed to me that both, the single run and the double distilled, both lacked what the other had. So I mixed them and I think it's gonna be a winner, quicker :D I love playing and mixing likker. That's why I'm less concerned with "mistakes" these days. Not a purist, but a blender. Works for me. bd.
I do all my own stunts
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

I've had good luck with blending single and double distilations as well. especially if the feints from the first one are added back to the second!
My stuff
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I aim for 28%. Check out "hydroseparation",

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9P3l ... &q&f=false

If you never put the crap in the still in the first place, then it can't contaminate your product.
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

blind drunk wrote: It seemed to me that both, the single run and the double distilled, both lacked what the other had. So I mixed them and I think it's gonna be a winner, quicker :D I love playing and mixing likker. That's why I'm less concerned with "mistakes" these days. Not a purist, but a blender. Works for me. bd.
Mixing is also part of the art of making good wine & spirits. Makes you think. Anyone can can go buy the stuff. But when you think about the art of what your doing you can come up with some wonderful things. :ewink:
King Of Hearts
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by King Of Hearts »

myles wrote:I aim for 28%. Check out "hydroseparation",

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9P3l ... &q&f=false

If you never put the crap in the still in the first place, then it can't contaminate your product.
Thanks Miles, that is a dam good book, thanks for the link. It's a very easy read and talks in common sense terms.