Condensor Cooler Find......

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

porter
Novice

Condensor Cooler Find......

Post by porter »

Always had problem keeping condensor cool on 8 and 16gal units. I use a tube-in-tube flow thru condensor on a closed loop system. That's a pump in a bucket of water recirculating in an endless loop. About 3/4 way through the run it tends to overheat real bad, enough that the water would start to steam off. Found the cure though.
This summer my mothers very large window air conditioner went out. To dispose of it easier I took it apart.
WOW...that outside condensor coil system looked large enough to make a good radiator for a small block chevy.
Carefully took it out and now have it in the cooling line between the return line of the condensor and the bucket. Ran a batch real hot to test it, you can place your hand on the condensor, the water stays under 85f, but that compressor coil really puts out the heat. 24in x 18in, 3 sets of 'cores' all copper, and since the product never goes through it, just the cooling water, don't really care about getting all the freon oil out. That took of itself on the first run.

Next step is to find a junked outdoor section central air unit and do the same thing. Except, change the cooling fan over to a 110v unit and pull the air over the much larger coils. That should let me jump on up to a 40gal cooker.