pure silicone?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Barbatostan
Novice

pure silicone?

Post by Barbatostan »

Has anyone used pure silicone thats food grade for cooking aplliances to make permenant gaskets for pot still lids?
Life is a sexually transmitted disease. enjoy it while you can!!!

Stihl Learning!
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: pure silicone?

Post by Prairiepiss »

Please look at rule number 8 in the rules we live by.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Are you a troll? Seriously? I just replied to your last thread on using JB weld. Stainless steel/copper/glass.

Lets not feed the troll guys.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
Barbatostan
Novice

Post by Barbatostan »

Troll? Please inform me where the rules to live by are is all i can save my own ass.... As you've seen by my other posts im still learning. And can say that I've truely started at the bottom....

Stihl Learning!
Washashore
Distiller

Post by Washashore »

"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women." --- Scott Adams
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Link is in the upper right of every page.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

Barbatostan wrote:Troll? Please inform me where the rules to live by are is all i can save my own ass.... As you've seen by my other posts im still learning. And can say that I've truely started at the bottom....

ok just like MK said we just informed you to stop while you are alive and start reading. if you need to ask where a basic page like the rules we live by is located. then you obviously didn't listen to my advice to read. STOP RIGHT NOW. spend a few weeks doing nothing but reading.. not building, or buying parts, or fermenting. but reading and researching before you hurt yourself and give this hobby a bad rep.
Just-A-Sip
Barbatostan
Novice

Post by Barbatostan »

Good to know you gutys are here to help but you all jump to complete conclusion.... Yes mistakes i have made are shared to help other FNG's but the USELESS flaming this evening is not appreciated. I understand your concersn but also see you all not being open to a lot. And Ive been at this for a year with a lot of hard learning curves and have spent hundreds of hours over the last year reading and learning trying to perfect it all. just dont really appreciate the uselessness of read read read when im producing perfectly viable ethenol uisng techniques leared from many sites and books. Only looking to learn from the masses to avoid furthur mistakes.

Stihl Learning!
just-a-sip
Rumrunner

Post by just-a-sip »

Barbatostan wrote:Good to know you gutys are here to help but you all jump to complete conclusion.... Yes mistakes i have made are shared to help other FNG's but the USELESS flaming this evening is not appreciated. I understand your concersn but also see you all not being open to a lot. And Ive been at this for a year with a lot of hard learning curves and have spent hundreds of hours over the last year reading and learning trying to perfect it all. just dont really appreciate the uselessness of read read read when im producing perfectly viable ethenol uisng techniques leared from many sites and books. Only looking to learn from the masses to avoid furthur mistakes.
man to be completely honest. if you have been reading for over a year you shouldn't be making allot of these first timer mistakes. im not saying your a liar just that if you are reading your not going into much depth and just perhaps searching for a specific answer then moving on. the reason your getting flamed is you post for help rather then researching, think about it... if i asked you the same question over and over everyday, and the answer was written right in front of me and i just decided to not look at it, wouldn't you get annoyed with me. and to add to that you posted two threads within minutes of each other both asking a simple to answer safety issue. To everyone here it just looks like you don't care about the hobby and just want an easy solution to your problems spoon fed to you so you can move on and hurt yourself.

you have to see it from our point of view

were here to try and enjoy a safe fun hobby and display that it can be done correctly so as to one day make it legal. and questions like these (repeated) dont help much. al we ask is that you do more research and the answer's will come to you. then once your stuck you ask questions.

sorry if it hurts but unfortunately there is a method and you need to help us help you. i made the same mistake when i first got here and that's why i advised you to stop while you were ahead and slow down.
Just-A-Sip
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If this is all too complicated then perhaps a simpler hobby should be sought... If you can't put in enough effort to do things right and spending excessive amounts of time researching isn't helping then it may be time to weigh other options... Either you "get it" or you don't... If you're being called out as a troll then ask yourself "why"... The time for excuses has passed...
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

"just dont really appreciate the uselessness of read read read when im producing perfectly viable ethenol uisng techniques leared from many sites and books."

If you are "producing perfectly viable ethenol (sic)" which you are happy with, why come in here asking silly questions to which you must know the answer after the hundreds of hour reading you claim to have done?

You are a troll!
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
boingk
Novice

Post by boingk »

Heres the answer you were looking for:

I would not use silicone in gaskets for distilling equipment, it does/may contain harmful compounds which will dissolve into your spirits, at best rendering them unpleasant and at worst rendering them harmful or even fatal. You do not know what they will do as you do not have the manufacurers list of ingredients for their sealant compound, nor can you further research this list of compounds to see whether they are safe.

Tried and tested methods are cheap and easy to use, so stick with them. These include threaded metal fittings, silver-soldered joints, cork gaskets and flour/water basting of open metal joints. Industrial distilleries use nothing but metal to metal or glass joints - think about that.

Cheers - boingk
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

boingk wrote:Heres the answer you were looking for:

I would not use silicone in gaskets for distilling equipment, it does/may contain harmful compounds which will dissolve into your spirits, at best rendering them unpleasant and at worst rendering them harmful or even fatal. You do not know what they will do as you do not have the manufacurers list of ingredients for their sealant compound, nor can you further research this list of compounds to see whether they are safe.

Tried and tested methods are cheap and easy to use, so stick with them. These include threaded metal fittings, silver-soldered joints, cork gaskets and flour/water basting of open metal joints. Industrial distilleries use nothing but metal to metal or glass joints - think about that.

Cheers - boingk
Thank you boingk. Just the answer we needed.
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose