put my worm in a corny

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Georgia Boy
Novice

put my worm in a corny

Post by Georgia Boy »

Haha! It sounds funny, but for real. I got a free corny keg and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the coil in there. The inlet would be perfect for the cold water in because of the down tube, and it would force the hot water from the top out of the other side. I'm wondering if I could sort of screw it in the top. I was going to get an old copper fire extinguisher to do the same thing with and use the corny for mash, but I'll just stick to good ole buckets.
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: put my worm in a corny

Post by Prairiepiss »

I think you will find trying to get the worm into the corny keg a pita. I'm trying to get a HERMS coil into a 15.5 gallon keg that I cut a 12" hole in the top. And I'm having problems with it. You will need to coil it smaller then you think. Copper will ne easier then the stainless I'm working with. But it can also kink easier while trying to get it in there. Then once its in there. It needs to be evenly shaped and flow down hill the whole way.

And how are you going to feed it through the bottom?

I wish I had someone give me some cornys. I need them to keg up beer.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Georgia Boy
Novice

Post by Georgia Boy »

I did manage to get it in there. I hated to drill the 2 holes in the sides. The biggest problem was the handles on top. They got in the way so I had to make the coil a bit smaller. I have to flux a few couplings on the ends and seal them. I'm guessing jb weld or ge clear silicone. I'm not sure about the heat with the ge though. It looks professional and clean. I still have to put an element in the boiler till I can test her out. Thanks
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

If your boiler is on the small side, it might work, but I don't think you have enough water capacity in a corney keg to handle much of a run. Let us know how it works.

Bull.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Georgia Boy
Novice

Post by Georgia Boy »

Yeah, my boiler is only a 5 gallon but it's Bain marie style so it's worth it.