Pot Still Suggestions on My First

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ptech
Novice

Pot Still Suggestions on My First

Post by ptech »

Usge, man I can't tell you how much I appreciate your responses. Clear, Logical, very well written. Magazine article or book quality responses. THanks so much, Usge. I'm really learning a lot from you. The last two responses from you (regarding thumpers) were a breath of fresh air in my ongoing studies and efforsts to increase my understanding before I build my first still.

I'm thinking of doing the following with my 24 Qt SS stock pot...only in regards to how the 2" copper pipe attaches to the SS lid of the stock pot.
The-Pot-Still-LidCloseUp.jpg
I plan a 2 inch copper pipe going straight up about 24 inches before a 45 degree turn.

The 45 degree arm is about 24 inches long consisting of three different sizes.
1st segment about 10 inches of 2" copper pipe
2nd segment about 10 inches of 1" copper pipe
3rd segment about 4 inches of 1/2 inch copper tube.
After that, the 1/2 inch tube goes straight down to the worm.

Following drawing is not to scale nor proportinately correct... so I wrote in some of the measurements.
drawing3.jpg
I'd like to hear as many opinions and ideas as possible on my latest plan.

My idea is to just run a regular pot still without a thumper.

thanks,
ptech
"..Almost seems like a miracle every time that first drop of alcohol comes out of the still.." ...Rad14701
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Re: Pot Still Suggestions on My First

Post by ipee7ABV »

what is your purpose with the 45 going up? did you do that by mistake or on purpose? you will get some reflux with that design.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

Instead of just the 45° going up folllow it with a 90° so it goes back down towards your worm bucket. That will be a shorter distance to travel and if you line it up right you should be able to hit the reducers end right as you get to the bucket lip.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Peppers16
Novice

Post by Peppers16 »

ipee7ABV wrote:what is your purpose with the 45 going up? did you do that by mistake or on purpose? you will get some reflux with that design.
As on the main site: An upwards Lyne arm makes for a lighter/higher proof product exactly because of that reflux. I was going to do something similar and thought it was a desirable feature?
ptech
Novice

Post by ptech »

ipee7ABV wrote:what is your purpose with the 45 going up? did you do that by mistake or on purpose? you will get some reflux with that design.
I haven't started building anything yet. I was hoping to get some suggestions and teachings from this forum first. I drew it that way on purpose because I recall reading that such an angle (if you drive the temperature slowly, gradually and not too hard) would yield more reflux and a lighter flavor with higher proof. And I plan to try double distilling as well. But I definitely don't want a reflux still because I don't want to end up with netral spirits. I like a hint of sweet and flavor. uummm, sounds good just talking about it :ebiggrin:

Some things I'd like to get y'alls feedback on are;

1) diameter of vertical column (drawn here at 2"), too big, too small
2) length of vertical column (two feet), too long, too short
3) length of lyne arm (two feet), longer, shorter
4) is the lyne arm reducing from 2 inch to half inch too quickly? should it reduce more gradually over a longer length ? or more steps such as 2" to 1.5" to 1.0" to 3/4" etc
5) is 1/2 inch too small for the final leg of copper?
6) what else might be problematic in that drawing?

kind thanks,
ptech
"..Almost seems like a miracle every time that first drop of alcohol comes out of the still.." ...Rad14701
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
ptech
Novice

Post by ptech »

Copper-1.jpg
Is that a reasonable price list or would I be paying to much for that list of copper parts?
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

ptech wrote:
Copper-1.jpg
Is that a reasonable price list or would I be paying to much for that list of copper parts?
that seems like an awsome price. i think i payed double at menards.
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

Peppers16 wrote:
As on the main site: An upwards Lyne arm makes for a lighter/higher proof product exactly because of that reflux. I was going to do something similar and thought it was a desirable feature?
usually you want flavor or you dont. sometimes you cant get enough flavor. if thats what you want there is no problem with it. sometimes people just copy crap off the internet without knowing.(thats how i started) :shh:
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

ptech wrote:
I haven't started building anything yet. I was hoping to get some suggestions and teachings from this forum first. I drew it that way on purpose because I recall reading that such an angle (if you drive the temperature slowly, gradually and not too hard) would yield more reflux and a lighter flavor with higher proof. And I plan to try double distilling as well. But I definitely don't want a reflux still because I don't want to end up with netral spirits. I like a hint of sweet and flavor. uummm, sounds good just talking about it :ebiggrin:

Some things I'd like to get y'alls feedback on are;

1) diameter of vertical column (drawn here at 2"), too big, too small
2) length of vertical column (two feet), too long, too short
3) length of lyne arm (two feet), longer, shorter
4) is the lyne arm reducing from 2 inch to half inch too quickly? should it reduce more gradually over a longer length ? or more steps such as 2" to 1.5" to 1.0" to 3/4" etc
5) is 1/2 inch too small for the final leg of copper?
6) what else might be problematic in that drawing?

kind thanks,
ptech
durace11 is smarter than me i would do what he says. you should try it mmmmmmmmmm gooooooood. cant help on the dimensions on the pot still i have a nixon stone so i can run it both ways. dont put down neutral till you try http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =14&t=2199 . allthough my ujssm works well with the panty dropper.
Last edited by ipee7ABV on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptech
Novice

Post by ptech »

OK, so maybe I asked too many questions. Maybe I'll have better luck if I just focus on my biggest question of that list, which is,

2) length of vertical column (two feet), too long or too short

What might be the difference if I use a vertical column which is 12 inches long compared to a 24 inch vertical column ?

thanks,
ptech
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

have you look through this yet?
http://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ptech
Novice

Post by ptech »

ipee7ABV wrote:have you look through this yet?
http://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
yes, I did look through that site but I don't see the difference between 12 inch column and 24 inch column for pot stills on that site. I see that discussion for reflux stills. Plus my drawing will add to that a roughly 28 inch Lyne arm at 45 degrees. So my set of variables are not covered in that site.

but thank you for the suggestion...it's a great suggestion because i've read a lot of things on that site and some of it several times repeatedly.....great stuff there.

thanks
ptech
ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Post by ipee7ABV »

ptech wrote:
ipee7ABV wrote:have you look through this yet?
yes, I did look through that site but I don't see the difference between 12 inch column and 24 inch column for pot stills on that site. I see that discussion for reflux stills. Plus my drawing will add to that a roughly 28 inch Lyne arm at 45 degrees. So my set of variables are not covered in that site.

but thank you for the suggestion...it's a great suggestion because i've read a lot of things on that site and some of it several times repeatedly.....great stuff there.

thanks
ptech
it will act like a column the total length till the down turn and you will get reflux
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I honestly don't think getting all elaborate with a 6 gallon pot still is going to make any noticeable difference as far as tall column and angled lyne arm is concerned... Just build a simple pot still and keep as much annealed copper IN the worm bucket as possible... That long stretch of copper from the lyne arm to the bucket is yet another waste... Think the KISS concept... Your build will be even cheaper if you keep it compact instead of getting all tall and gangly...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I'm with Rad. As small as you are building these things won't mater much at all. Any difference will make will be so small that you would never know the difference. Build it to fit the area you will be using it in. If the boiler is to be here. And you want the takeoff to be there. Build it so its there.

Find Samohon's pot still plans. It's a pdf download in the plans and diagrams thread. That's really all hats needed. If you want it taller to fit. Make it taller. Just don't go extreme with it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.