how to get higher output for potstill w.worm?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ugly Bastard
Novice

how to get higher output for potstill w.worm?

Post by Ugly Bastard »

Hi, my name is Bastard and im an alcoholic... i have some questions about our potstil and worm design. Now when i first started distilling i had 3/8" opper coil in a 5gal bucket and a 15gal keg with 3/4" copper to the condenser. Needless to say the output i.was getting wasnt enough so i was determined to get a higher output of distillate... so i went out and got me a 5/8" od worm and went from 3/4" to the worm to 1.5" to a 5/8" worm. Now generally speaking u would think these mods would yealdmore end product quicker right? I was wrong, it was about the same.. i think i probably should have made a low and wide pot for more alcohol vapor right? What should increase the output? The diameter of the pot outlet? Bigger worm?pot dimensions? Please give me your much needed input..
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Re: how to get higher output for potstill w.worm?

Post by bellybuster »

what do you mean by higher output? Speed, ABV?? Quantity??
ajshomebrew
Novice

Post by ajshomebrew »

Adding a thumper will help a bit......bout 10% higher abv output....My column is 30" of 2" copper to 3/4 to 1/2 condenser......consistently on a sweetfeed run I can average 150 proof to 160.

Not to be preachy but if a self admitted alcoholic ..........maybe the lower proof stuff is better for ya and keep you out of trouble. My experience ...the higher the proof the quicker I get $@$ faced and do something stupid....
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Your bigger setup should be cabable of producing the same amount of product as your old one, but quite a bit faster, if you can produce enough heat to drive it faster. More details and a couple pics might help.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
JustUgh
Novice

Post by JustUgh »

the simple answer

run the end result again and cut more of the water off......at this point flavor will be gone so a sugar mash high abv and a carbon filter will be your best friend....then u can infuse it with something u like and cut it back to drinkable lvls for self

my pot still to worm set up gets 65% starting abv............i collected to 50% ending with something around 56-58%.........the wash that was not enough for a full run grab it and what u made put it back in still run it again ............mine came off at 80% collected down to 65% my end result is about 72%

run it again and u should have fuel for the car ...........but by doing this u will lose all flavor and the burn is well epic ( note never chase with water u will regret it )

to get highest abv in sugar wash 1/3 sugar first let it go 2 days then 2/3 sugar after let it finish.....will keep the internal heat at workable lvls with out need of a chiller...rem u need yeast nutrient/yeast energizer and to make the ph lvl somewhere along 4-4.5......make sure the yeast u use is high tollerant stuff other wise u get something in the 14 range instead of the 18 19 %
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

But make sure you dilution the first run to 40% or below before you run it again. And same goes for any that you will be running again. Dilute it to 40% or below before you run it again. For safety sake.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
JustUgh
Novice

Post by JustUgh »

Prairiepiss wrote:But make sure you dilution the first run to 40% or below before you run it again. And same goes for any that you will be running again. Dilute it to 40% or below before you run it again. For safety sake.

have to ask ......reflux stills and others put out a higher lvl...............why do u need to cut it to 40% if taste is not a factor ( rum is double run strip then make wash to 35% with dunder and send tho ....but that is for the taste factor)

i am asking to learn ....not be a ass
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It's not the output. The output of a still will more then likely almost always be flammable. And it should be dealt with accordingly.

It's the boiler charge. Anything over 40% is flammable. So filling the boiler with anything over 40%. You mite as well be cooking gasoline. If you have 5 gallons of flammable liquid in your boiler. And something was to happen. You could have a large fire ball consuming the area. If it was charged proper with 40% or below you would just have a mess to clean up.

You will find this same recommendation all over these boards. While doing your required research.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Ugly Bastard
Novice

Post by Ugly Bastard »

Oops! Lol.. im not an alcoholic.. i was making a joke to someone online and somehow it ended up in my post.. anyway im just tryin to end up with a bigger stream of liquor comin out the worm, not higher abv .
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

that would be determined by your boiler, not the worm.

The worm only cools the vapour - and that production is done on the burner. As long as you are not seeing vapour coming out the end, then your worm is working as it should. I find it also helps to put your finger under the trickle of fluid and as long as it is luke warm or cool, you are doing fine. I notice in the middle of the run it gets warmer (as it should), and therefore I just up the water pressure into my dual liebig a tad to compensate.
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Heat input? How long is the worm?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Ugly Bastard
Novice

Post by Ugly Bastard »

Sorry guys i shoulda been more clear with my question. I need more liquid comin out the end of the worm faster. Im runnin about 1.5 qt to 1/2gal per hour if im lucky and it takes roughly 7-10 hrs for a full 10-12 gal run . I have tried runnin a little faster but it cuts down the abv. My goal is to push a greater volume of alc vapor through the worm , thus increasing my liquid flow. Thats why i.asked about the pot outlet diameter and shape of the cap and or arm.. i am starting from scratch and building a 60gal stil .I need ur guys input to achieve my goal ........5/8" worm 20' long 7 coils 2" space between each coil. My arm is 16 up, 36 long and a 10" long. reduced from 1.5" to the 5/8" worm. currently usingthe round top bayau burner setup and it has a high pressure 40.000btu burner. Il post pix wen i gt home
Ugly Bastard
Novice

Post by Ugly Bastard »

Sorry guys i shoulda been more clear with my question. I need more liquid comin out the end of the worm faster. Im runnin about 1.5 qt to 1/2gal per hour if im lucky and it takes roughly 7-10 hrs for a full 10-12 gal run . I have tried runnin a little faster but it cuts down the abv. My goal is to push a greater volume of alc vapor through the worm , thus increasing my liquid flow. Thats why i.asked about the pot outlet diameter and shape of the cap and or arm.. i am starting from scratch and building a 60gal stil .I need ur guys input to achieve my goal ........5/8" worm 20' long 7 coils 2" space between each coil. My arm is 16 up, 36 long and a 10" long. reduced from 1.5" to the 5/8" worm. currently usingthe round top bayau burner setup and it has a high pressure 40.000btu burner. Il post pix wen i gt home
Ugly Bastard
Novice

Post by Ugly Bastard »

Ok. So now let me ask this, what style/shape boiler and cap would maximise flow/output ? A traditional old school copper cap? I keep lookin at these big wig commercial distilleries and the shape of their pot to the worm is a triangle ,basically a giant reducer with rounded edges so if the giants are using this style then shit its gotta be a good design. The problem is my SS barrel is taller than it is wide. It liiks like a giant turkey frier and if i go bigger with the same old design its only gonna produce more because of the upsizing. I would like to maximise the flow rate by tweaking my design. What disign will best suit my goal?
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

To get better flow you should apply more heat. Boiler shape is not so important in term of speed.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Turn up the heat and/or use a heat shroud around your keg, made from a barrel or metal garbage can...
JustUgh
Novice

Post by JustUgh »

u are using a keg

the answer is kind of hard to do with out some real work

see u are only heating the bottom and part of side on the lower half......the release of the vapors is slow do to the large volume ....if u could weild or attach a tall standing boil break u would get a more rapid cook off .............as for heat and low abv that is from the high heat and the water vapor lower down hitting the temp to go to steam and some is making tho the wash into the coil

ok u are making the 60 gallon one .....look at some of the old timers they had 2 pipes going from the bottom to the top of it when they heated it the air would go tho the pipes and heat mash more even and get a better product .....some of the large distillers do this method but they use steam to do huge batchs i think u can see it clearly on rum set ups what bacardi uses since they have own power plant and steam engines
Ugly Bastard
Novice

Post by Ugly Bastard »

I fabricate so its not a big deal to alter shape/form or weld and makke additions to my still
ustugh.... im guessin ur talking about the stainless steel sleeves around the bottom of most micro distilleries stills .. ss sleeve with the engine turn swirl on it.huh.. i wondered what the purpose of that was.
JustUgh
Novice

Post by JustUgh »

Ugly Bastard wrote:I fabricate so its not a big deal to alter shape/form or weld and makke additions to my still
ustugh.... im guessin ur talking about the stainless steel sleeves around the bottom of most micro distilleries stills .. ss sleeve with the engine turn swirl on it.huh.. i wondered what the purpose of that was.

yes sir

if u have the skills.....think of a city scape for the keg's boiler break........ on the outer ring smaller ones as u go to the center make little higher and at center the highest one .......something like that with it attached to the bottom the heat should evenly heat up alot faster and u should get less water faster cook and higher abv ...........as for the shapes i am not sure if square or round ....or even if u could use copper pipe......the math saids the pipe is the best lose less volume and the heat transfer would be faster sinnce the wash is in the pipe and outside the pipe

by the way thanks i know i will need 7-10 hours for my keg unless i figure out how to do something like this myself ....if u figure out a easy way i might see if u are willing to sell me a kit

extra........i was reading a guy using Kosher Salt ......non idoized salt......he was using it to raise the boil temp of the water to make his still able to run hotter...but not to get the lower abv like u were having ...............please note i am not sure about this i just posted so u had the choice or other distiller can counter it and i know not to try in mine
SherrodBrown
Novice

Post by SherrodBrown »

Just in case you overload the capacity of your boiler and that worm is too skinny use a one way overpressure valve anywhere above the liquid line. ( usually above 2/3 of the hight ) Other than that you need to increase the inner diameter of the worm. Maybe 1 inch or so can deal with more flow and heat. Pressure is nothing to look for ( even boiling points can be messed up )and to anyone who has read some basics in hyudralic flow the tubing length is also important in order to avoid excessive resistance.Longer worm need to be a thicker worm.