Thumper?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thumper?

Post by Beerswimmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 am

adamf wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:30 am
Nice work! Inspiring. What style of vapor outlet are you going to use on the spear? Holes? 45 degree cut? Slits?
Is that a shotgun condenser? If so, why did you choose it over the other styles?
Thanks, it's Yummyrum's design :thumbup: I drilled 12 holes around the bottom of the spear. Yes, it's a shotgun. I wanted to really knock down vapor when stripping since now I'll be stripping nearly double and didn't want to double the time. My previous leibig could never handle all of the power I threw at it.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:08 pm

First spirit run underway now, the biggest I've ever done. Hearts are starting at 83%, the highest abv I've ever made to boot. I have about 5-6 more gallons of hearts to squeeze out of this run.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:05 am

Oh, I ended up with about 7 gallons of hearts. Hard for me to tell with so much. No more smearing than a normal potstill. The hearts seemed to be a larger cut with the thumper.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!

adamf
Novice

Post by adamf » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:41 am

Awesome! That must have been a heck of a large run! I'm getting 1.5 gallons of hearts from ~ 10 gallons in the boiler and 2 gallons in the thumper.

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 pm

adamf wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:41 am
Awesome! That must have been a heck of a large run! I'm getting 1.5 gallons of hearts from ~ 10 gallons in the boiler and 2 gallons in the thumper.
Low wines, or wash?
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!

adamf
Novice

Post by adamf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Beerswimmer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Low wines, or wash?
Wash, with more wash, heads & tails in thumper.

I have a some more observations and things to try and then I'll summarize my build and what has worked.
I'm indebted to this forum for all the accessible info and available friendly help.

THANK YOU!

Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Congrats Adamf. Great run.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.

The Baker
Master Distiller

Post by The Baker » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:55 pm

myles wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 am
My reply above was actually completed by my cat standing on the keyboard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well! A small keg is an easy option. If you can build a liebig then you can build the fitting that is needed to turn a keg into a simple thumper.

thump2.jpg

Or you can use a stock pot and a bowl for a lid - well 2 bowls actually. Solder the rim of the first bowl to the pot to make a seat for the second bowl to mate onto.

Photo024t.jpg

Or line a wood box with a thin copper liner.

ins thump.png
I had been looking at Corene's method of installing a thumper which is great; but this is fantastic.
For me that is, because I do not weld or solder. But I have relations who can solder the copper fittings in after I set it up.

Thanks, eight years later.

Geoff
Last edited by The Baker on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Baker

The Baker
Master Distiller

Post by The Baker » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:59 pm

I will probably use two inch copper tube with a ferrule, from the thumper.

A reducing tee two inch to one inch to bring in the one inch tube from the boiler (and down to the bottom of the thumper).
(may need 2x2x2 with a reducer, so as to be able to manoeuvre the one-inch-tube-with right angle bend into place).

And a two inch to one inch reducing tee at the top of this two inch tube; from there, one inch tube to the condenser.
(using one inch because I have plenty of it and it should carry a lot of vapour easily and it was REALLY cheap,
ten bucks Australian WITH over four feet of HEAVY four inch tube.)

And in the two inch top of that tee, a short length of two inch tube and a two inch end cap
(sealed with a turn of plumber's tape if I need it).

So I can lift the end cap and fill the thumper; and "shoot the thumper" (add some flavouring or whatever) after the bad stuff has passed.

I am pretty happy, this should work well and be easily set up.

Geoff
The Baker

dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:49 am

I run a 6 gallon boiler with 3 gallon thumper and a worm. Haven’t had a bad run yet and have been using only a small amount of mash to cover the bottom of the inlet vapor tube.