glass still pics

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

glassman
Swill Maker

glass still pics

Post by glassman »

hey all, finished the 12L glass pot still. here's some pics.

12L pyrex flask, 4000w 220v mantle, 2L onion, 2"x32" condensor.

mantle was made w/ castable ceramic insulation. has pints temp control and provitions for a pid control.

condensor is a triple pass design. wont be nearly as efficiant as copper. thats why it's oversize.

here's a closeup

will have the boca head assy. ready in a day or two. gman
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Absolutely Gorgeous

Post by minime »

Wow, it looks awesome.

I'm not clear on the condenser, is it water cooled?

Can't see the input lines.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

May I request some video of it in operation?
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Wot minime and Coops sed.

Sweet!
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

your condenser should be verticle, otherwise looks nice
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

thanks guys. the water enters near the bottom, travels up thru a central tube, back up thru the coil, then down thru the outer tube. vapor has coolant inside, outside and within the vapor path. glass is something like 400 times less conductive then copper. the boca head will have a copper coil in the top. heres a pic of the head.
sorry for the sideways view. photobucket won't let me overright these images with rotated ones. gman

big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

awsume...thats why yer the glass man, jeez i would love to see a glass still in action.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

violentblue wrote:your condenser should be verticle, otherwise looks nice
Why?

I see absolutely no reason it has to be vertical.

BTW: nice work glassman
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

i am not sure of the angle between the inner coil and the longitudinal axis. This is probably why a vertical placement was suggested--Because if the vapor condenses and then reaches a low spot in one of the coils...the alcohol condensation will pool and not continue through the coil. But if it was vertical it would continue to flow down the coil due to gravity.

The vertical coil is highly suggested so the alcohol will not pool and also the vapor wants to rise and the force of expanding vapor behind it is pushing it down, making the total time the vapor is exposed to the cooling surroundings longer. This ensures less product passes through remaining in the vapor phase.

An angled condenser is ok for a liebig condenser since the flow direction is constantly downward and once condensed, gravity will pull the condensate down the tube. But in a coil the condensate might have to flow up over the next upward part of the coil to continue down.

As close as I can examine the angles and coils from the given pictures...i would have to agree with an angle at least closer to vertical.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

AAHhh...let me clarify....does the glass coil contain the vapor or the cooling water??

If it holds the cooling water carry on-and Bravo!!!

If it holds the vapor and the cooling water surrounds it--see previous post

Either way...IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!--and I am extremely jealous!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

your right old man. coil carries coolant, not vapor. vapor path is thru a 38mm straight tube. need as much cooling as posible with glass. videos to come. gman
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

heck of a job
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Very nice standing by for the video
Such is life
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

That Bok head is one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. I wouldn't be embarrassed to put it next to an italian motorcycle. Beautful piece of design, i'd love to watch one of those in operation on a cold winters night in the shed.
Bet you can't wait to run it :shock:
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

GMan, thats brilliant.
GeniusMan, no longer GlassMan
Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

thanks tracker. glad you like it. lets hope it works well. i just get these ideas in my head and then run with them never knowing where they will lead. a great part of life. and then you end up meeting people from all over the world who share your interests. life is good. only wish we all could be more open with our hobby. guess time will tell. i know theres a lot of talented people out there. would love to get together with guys in the south east states and see what the experianced makers think of our elixers. we'll all have to meet in a secluded holler in the mountains:<) gman
Rummeriffic
Novice

Post by Rummeriffic »

GMan, that's absolutely beautiful work. I wish I had the time to learn a skill like that. As it is my profession has taken most of my time thus far, but beleive me when I say I, and probably most of us here on the board, are envious of such a skill. Cheers!
I only have to do this until the trade embargo against Cuba is lifted!
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

thanks rum. running it for the first time today. going to film it on a vid cam and post to my photbucket. gman
lickermaker
Bootlegger

Re: glass still pics

Post by lickermaker »

here's mine
electric two element heat mantel run  by a temp controller with a thero couple probe
electric two element heat mantel run by a temp controller with a thero couple probe
four inch borosilicate lab glass column trying different packings
four inch borosilicate lab glass column trying different packings
this connecting arm is one option i'm working with the other is to remove at top union and place a reflux condenser in the collumn! I'd need to add a port out of the coulm with a ptfe stopcock
this connecting arm is one option i'm working with the other is to remove at top union and place a reflux condenser in the collumn! I'd need to add a port out of the coulm with a ptfe stopcock
Last edited by lickermaker on Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lickermaker
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

Nice glass flute lickermaker. Where are you going to put the site glasses? :crazy: lol. Really beautiful work glassman and lickermaker
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
Daznz
Novice

Post by Daznz »

Wow very nice don't drop the bugger :D
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

That is truly a piece of art. Not sure you should bugger it up any by using it to produce lowly likker!! It shows that you have some incredible talent making glass. Did you blow that yourself?
lickermaker
Bootlegger

Post by lickermaker »

drinkingdog wrote:Nice glass flute lickermaker. Where are you going to put the site glasses? :crazy: lol. Really beautiful work glassman and lickermaker
Not a flute. just a glorified potstill. am working on changing to reflux column. Thank you for compliments
Lickermaker
Sedaterman
Novice

Post by Sedaterman »

Some lasers placed in the right areas would make for an awesome light show while distilling. What a work of art!

I would like to see a glass distillers parrot made to look like the real thing. Have the product enter the beak and have the collection column run up the breast. Then exit out a partially open wing.

I would gladly pay the bucks for a display such as that. Trying to find the artisan capable might be a challenge though. :ewink:

Tom
lickermaker
Bootlegger

Post by lickermaker »

Sedaterman wrote:Some lasers placed in the right areas would make for an awesome light show while distilling. What a work of art!

I would like to see a glass distillers parrot made to look like the real thing. Have the product enter the beak and have the collection column run up the breast. Then exit out a partially open wing.

I would gladly pay the bucks for a display such as that. Trying to find the artisan capable might be a challenge though. :ewink:

Tom
I understand the interest! But I doubt that you could or would "gladly" pay the amount of money it would take to make this parrot
Lickermaker
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

That's a purty thang but it would last about 5 mins around my "bull in a china shop" ass.

BG