Boiler size how much does size matter

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

I'm in the slow process of designing a whiskey still. I don't have specifics yet on the design. My question is will a 5 gallon stock pot be big enough? I've been reading that most people recommend something in the 7-10 gallon range for beginners. However, I have seen pictures floating around of still with 5 gallon boilers. I'm looking to start out with making moonshine, using Uncle jesses method/recipe. I would like to do runs a couple or 3 times a month. Just wondering why peoples experience is with sligjtly smaller stills and if using a 5 gallon pot that I have just sitting around is a good start?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Boiler size how much does size matter

Post by der wo »

With a 5gal still and 3 runs per month you will have soon enough in stock to age.
My stockpot is around 4.5gal. I run it 2 times per month. My cellar is full of alcohol. I could stop the hobby and had enough to drink for the next 10 years.
But of course a 10gal still is much less effort per bottle.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Maybe it's just me, but I've always found bigger is better, especially in stills. Aside from making better cuts and having more usable product when you're done, I like to just run a ferment once and be done, as compared to running several smaller batches of the same thing, not to mention all the associated cleanup and such to deal with after each batch. Just my 2 cents.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Bigger usually translates to time and effort efficiencies. For me, when I went to a bigger boiler I cut the time I spent stripping and running the spirit about 33%. Huge time saver. Just a couple runs in with the new rig so I can't comment on any quality issues but all things being equal probably no change in quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Iv just upgraded from a stockpot and deliberately built my boiler as large as i could simply because of how fussy it was doing cuts with a stockpot. It can all just go in the feints jug now.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

It is a matter of taste. And about taste you need to debate.
I am happy with my boiler of 10 liter and I adjust my ferments to it.

I purchased an 80-liter boiler and my friend is the one who build it. He told me stories of producing too much distilate. He had to throw parties to get rid of his production.
I want to use it next summer. Make 60 litres ferment of 12 %ABV. Then fill the 80 litre-boiler and run it to 20 litres low wines. And then run these with my 10-litre boiler into a neutral 80 or 90 %ABV.

Make your own plan!
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

I use 80 litre fermenters so I built a 100 litre boiler works great for me :)
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

So there you have it....about a 50/50 pro and con. I think it should be build as big as you have room for. I don't think I could go much bigger than my 21/2 gal still. If I had the room I think I might go with an 8 to 10 gallon one.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

Yeah on the one hand who wouldn't mind a bigger still. It sounds like the same thing with home brewing or wine making. Increasing the amount of beer does not do a whole lot in terms of creating extra work, but the pay out is way better. I think a 5 gallon boiler is just only slightly under what I was looking for. So I might bring the size up just a bit but I really can't go any bigger than a 7.5 or 8 gallon still for space and ease of use. Those sizes are pushing it to I think for me. So I think I will stick with what I have but upgrade in size when time and space are right for me with my current living situation. Thanks everyone for your advice and input. I have learned so much in the few short weeks I have joined this group.
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

I have a really large boiler but my wash usually runs in the 6-7% range. Most with a 15gal boiler probably make more than I do.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I depends on how much you want to produce and how much space you've got available for your hobby.
It's for me like der Wo wrote.
With my milk can boiler 25 L or 6,6 Us gallons, I can produce more than enough for me and some close friends.
My liquor cabinet is filled with about every spirit one can think of, and even some one just can't buy (like my rhubarb Vodka).
For the production of Gin, I have a separate boiler (stock pot 10-12 L), as it's easier to clean than my boiler with an internal heating element.
Within a couple of hours, it can produce 8-9 bottles of Gin, which should keep me happy for a while..
Edited to add:
I wouldn't go much smaller than my milk can boiler, as I won't get a whole lot product from a stripping run and cuts will get harder the smaller it is.
If I HAD to downsize my equipment, I'd use a stock pot not smaller than 15 L.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

I think in this situation a 7.5g tall keg would be great. It's the the higher end of his limit, and would also be compatible with a full size 15.5g keg if/when you decide to go bigger.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there