Stripping/ spirit runs with thumper?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Stripping/ spirit runs with thumper?

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey guys, when I've been doin stripping runs on whiskey, I been using thumper with wash or low wines in it, been doing the same on spirit runs except running much slower, I wanted ask the guys on here what they do- when u do a stripping run with pot still do u use thumper? I've read several different ideas on this, some of what's on here doesn't apply to me bc I don't have a column yet, I mean strictly for a pot still. Jus wanted some of ur guys input. Thank you
semper fi
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Stripping/ spirit runs with thumper?

Post by Truckinbutch »

I strip with up to 12 gallons in the boiler and thumper . I do spirit runs with a couple of gallons of water or mash/wash in the thumper .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I strip without thumper, boiler only. Unless i have an odd amount of wash, like when doing brandy, I never know how much cider i will get till its pressed.

Rum and whiskeys my standard recipe, one fermenter fills boiler. Do that x4 strips = 10 - 12 gal spirit run.

All my spirit runs get double thumped.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I've been putting low wines in the thumper and wash in the primary boiler for sugarhead spirit runs. Works great.
Since going sugarless for the last two runs though,I've put what part of the mash is cleared into the primary and the rest into the thumper for stripping it and I'm thinking I'll run the low wines without the thumper.
Maybe.
Hell,I don't know.
I thought I had it all figured out till I quit using sugar. Feels like I'm starting all over again now days...
Jb
Last edited by jb-texshine on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jb-texshine wrote:I've been putting low wines in the thumper and mash or wash in the primary boiler for spirit runs.
Last two runs though,I've put what part of the mash is cleared into the primary and the rest into the thumper for stripping it and I'm thinking I'll run the low wines without the thumper.
Maybe.
Hell,I don't know.
I thought I had it all figured out till I quit using sugar. Feels like I'm starting all over again now days...
Jb
Welcome to the club . :)
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Truckinbutch wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:I've been putting low wines in the thumper and mash or wash in the primary boiler for spirit runs.
Last two runs though,I've put what part of the mash is cleared into the primary and the rest into the thumper for stripping it and I'm thinking I'll run the low wines without the thumper.
Maybe.
Hell,I don't know.
Jb
It tastes better on this side of the fence for sure.

Deo Vendice

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jb-texshine wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
Maybe.
Hell,I don't know.
Jb
Yepper , sure does . AG intimidated me for better than 3 years and it was my own stupid to stick with sugarheads against CW .
Stupid simple once you take the leap of faith to gear up to it .
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Truckinbutch wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
Maybe.
Hell,I don't know.
Jb
Yepper , sure does . AG intimidated me for better than 3 years and it was my own stupid to stick with sugarheads against CW .
Stupid simple once you take the leap of faith to gear up to it .
Honesty ,you and srd's post is what made me go for it. And scd's easy mash method which convinced me to put an uncontrolled(on/off only) element and drain in a spare keg to boil water.
Jb

Deo Vendice

Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've always done 1 and done with a thumper, clear in the boiler and dirty in the thump.
Now I'm taking time off for work related issues and just lack of time during the weekend I'm planning on a build for a new 15 gal keg thumper. Another thread

If using a thumper when stripping I wouldn't use my low wines except for a spirit run, low wines are what they are for already being stripped. Save them for the spirit run :thumbup:

The thumper for a strip means you have more volume of wash/mash to strip which means more low wines in return and less running time.

After my build is complete I'll start doing 12/12 gal each to get more low wines in a single run, run all low wines with a complete charge of 40% or less in both boiler and thumper.
I love my thumper and don't hardly run my still without it, my brandy will be the exception for flavor sake!!!
Biker Mark
Novice

Post by Biker Mark »

I run 2 thumpers on both spirit and stripping runs.
For strips, I put mash in the main boiler, and in the 1st Thump. I put tails from previous run in my 2nd thump.

For spirit runs I put what I collected watered down to around 30% abv in my boiler, and 1st thumper, and leave my 2nd thumper dry.

I have a combined spirit run to do tonight with part AG, and part Sugarhead.
I plan to put the Sugarhead clear in the boiler, and the AG in the 1st thumper, hopefully to retain the flavor from the AG.
And again 2nd thumper will be dry. :thumbup:
American By Birth, Biker by Choice, Country by the Grace Of God.
_
5 Gallon Appalachian style Pot Still with 2 Thumper's and Worm.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... &mode=view